Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is the difference between slip-on, bolt-on etc [?]

And what difference does titanium and aluminum make [?]

I heard an audio file of a Muzzy can and it sounded very hollow a low RPM's then screamed in the power band. Is this normal for aftermarket cans [?]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
There is no real difference between a slip on or bolt on, except how they attatch. Just about all sport bikes have switched to the slip on style now (Kawi used a bolt on upto 2002 on the 6R, but now its a slipon)

The material it's made of only affects the sound, and the weight. You won't get any more power from one material or another (well except for the weight benefit I guess). Carbon fiber also has one advantage, it does not get as hot, and cools down a lot quicker.

As for sound, every brand sounds a little different. Some growl at low RMP, some are more high pitched. Some are like a howl at high RPM, some like a scream.

Hope that helps a bit.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification.

Since I have an '02 6, does that mean I will have to get a bolt-on, not a slip-on [?]

And I would imagine that carbon doesn't sound as holow as the metal cans right ?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That's 10-4.

Have a look at your bike, it has bolts attached at the flange coming from the exhaust pipe where it joins the end can. In other words, you have one complete exhaust pipe system from the heads back to the end can. The new bike has a header exhaust system that comes from the heads to somewhere midway back of the lower cowls. There, a "slip on" exhaust joins in and runs to the end can. The advantages of this system are that (1) you can do a different bend on the slip on portion of pipe that allows "high rise" or different angle options and (2) gives the exhaust manufacturer a little more play to refine the power delivery and materials (like a titanium lead in pipe which saves weight)...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
226 Posts
Carbon fiber cans may be cooler (in the temperature point of view), but they have a big disadvantage, to me. If you crash or get hit by a car in the rear, the carbon fiber can will most certainly break, leaving you with nothing but two pieces of junk. An aluminium or titanium can will maybe bend a little, get scrached, but will remain useable.

I'm saving to get a full-system Titanium Akrapovic system. The sound is simply the best you can get, and the quality and hp-gain are unquestionable.

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Another disadvantage of carbon fiber is that it will, given our climate, slightly turn brown from the original pure black color, even if re-packed annually and covered from UV exposure when not in use.

If REALLY neglected, I've seen this SLIGHT browning become PURE brown in extreme cases. That's why I picked TITANIUM instead of CARBON with my new Akrapovic.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.