Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always see statements that make it seem like there is a major difference. whats the noticible difference between a v-twin and my 636?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Powerband location is the main difference.
On your 636, its fairly tame until you hit about 7500 rpms, and then it pulls all the way until just before the redline.

On a v-twin, like a Honda Hawk GT, the powerband begins at 2500 rpms, and pulls hard until about 7000 in stock trim. Swap the airbox for a set of filter pods, change the main jets, and now it pulls hard to the rev limiter. Swap the cams, and now its just sick, and you need to get the HRC ignition box to raise the rev limit from 8500 to 10500 to make full use of the new cams.

The other noticeable thing about v-twins is the weight placement. The weight is more under the rider than completely in front of like it is on an inline 4 bike. Plus, since the v-twin is narrower than the I-4, you get more cornering clearance. That's why the old Honda Hawk GT's are a terror on a track. I like mine. Tore up some newbie on his shiny new silver 636 at Loudon back in Oct with it.

BC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.