Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What the hell is this vibration????

Two weeks ago I bought a brand new 2011 650, and now there is this annoying vibration front of the gas tank area, when I first take off I get to 3000 and it starts and is loud as hell up to about 5000 then I cant hear it because of course the wind...but when I lean down to my tank it is loud and embarrassing when I pass cars. Has any one had this and can tell me right away what it is...I poked around the area a little and really didn't find anything loose, it is not the windscreen, its all tightened up. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Do you have your key on a keychain?

Once you start to hear it, start putting pressure on different areas of the bike until it stops.

My windscreen on my 6r was buzzing around 7k, then i tightened the bolts and it starts doing it around 6k. I messed with them again and now it's fine. It might just take some playing around with.

There is also the notorious 4k fairing buzz.

Also, I doubt other cars can hear it. If they can, you might have a bigger issue at hand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have your key on a keychain?

Once you start to hear it, start putting pressure on different areas of the bike until it stops.

My windscreen on my 6r was buzzing around 7k, then i tightened the bolts and it starts doing it around 6k. I messed with them again and now it's fine. It might just take some playing around with.

There is also the notorious 4k fairing buzz.

Also, I doubt other cars can hear it. If they can, you might have a bigger issue at hand.
Nope no key ring, Ya I thought it was my screen as well but I tightened it up good and still the same sound. Ya it sounds like a loud buzz. I may over exaggerate on the 'other cars hear it'...it just sounds so loud that I think they can hear it, lol. I guess ill just start putting pressure in different places. thanks though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had one of my headlights misaligned. It was fully adjusted to one side and rubbing/vibrating on the reflector. Might be something to look at as well!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you have a trim ring on your license plate by chance? When I first picked up my bike from the dealer it rattled like crazy from 3-7k. Took it of and its all good.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
its because you bought a 650r...i think the vibrations were designed for the female riders.

my girlfriend always liked mine

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
The bike is under warranty, why don't you have your dealer sort it out?

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I asked about it the response I got was, "Yeah, it's a twin. They do that."

OP, make sure EVERYTHING is tight. Also, adding some foam tape where fairings bits meet each other will help. Right now one of my inner cowlings is kind of loose and it buzzes like crazy so it's not always just the windshield. In this case it even still sounds like it's the windshield just because of how the sound gets funneled up around the forks through the fairings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I had this same problem when mine was new. To fix it, I took off all of the plastics. Placed pieces of adhesive velcro (the fuzzy side) on all the plastic pieces where they interlock into each other. I remember there was a few write ups about it a few years ago. Search "fairing buzzing" or something like that.

It seams like a real PITA to take all the plastics off, but I'd hate to do a half assed job and then once its back together, still have the buzzing!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had one of my headlights misaligned. It was fully adjusted to one side and rubbing/vibrating on the reflector. Might be something to look at as well!
Ya I made sure my headlights are aligned, everything seems good there.

Do you have a trim ring on your license plate by chance? When I first picked up my bike from the dealer it rattled like crazy from 3-7k. Took it of and its all good.
Yes it did had one but I took it off before I left the dealer, that’s not it

its because you bought a 650r...I think the vibrations were designed for the female riders.

my girlfriend always liked mine

HAHAHAHAHA...LMFAO

Because the dealer is 5 hours away, the only way Id ever make it back there is if something seriously was wrong with my bike, but until then ill have to fix this 'buzzing' myself.

Thanks for all your input, Ill be doing the foam tape within this upcoming week. My frame sliders will be here soon so that'll be the time Ill be doing it, I’m sure ill pin point it somewhere down the line, but will keep an update when I figure it out, Thanks again everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts