Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Whats up guys...........

886 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Chance.316 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals I'm new to this site. I am currently living in Greensboro, NC and going to school/working here. I am 20 years old and want to get my first bike. I'm not looking to be Mr. Cool with the newest, sickest bike I just want something to learn on for now that's decent, then upgrade when I have the wallet/experience for it. I grew up around bike's, my step dad had 2 gsxr's and a Ducati 851. I have been looking around for a 500r or maybe 250 but I have heard that the 500 is a better option to grow into, being the power of the 250 is kinda iffy? But any of your wisdom and input would greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
As Warbuck said, they're both great starter bikes. The 500 is a bit faster and more stable on the freeway, while the 250 gets better gas mileage than some yuppie's hybrid and is more nimble in the corners. So it really depends on what you want the bike for. If you do get a 250 and decide that it's lacking in power, the resale value on that bike usually means you break even or close to it if you turn around and sell it. As long as you don't drop it, anyway. If you're looking for a new 250 then you might have to get in line.

#8 ·
I have an '89 250 and I pay $119 a year for mininum coverage with a clean record.

#7 ·
A 500 or 250 is going to be cheap to insure. I started out on a 500 and paid $36 a month for insurance on it, and i had a couple tickets on my record. Now I only pay $21 for my 650.

#10 ·
Liability and Comprehensive aren't too expensive, Collision can be a quite a bit more, depending on your vehicle and driving record. I recommend having at least Comprehensive, in case you hit a deer or you bike gets stolen or something.

#19 ·
not always true...i pay 600/yr for my bike through State Farm. Progressive (direct and also through my current car insurance company) wanted 2000, Geico wanted 1800, and ESurance wanted 3000. all for full coverage BTW.

and im 28 with a clean driving record. shop around and you can and will be rewarded!

ps...this is my first street bike!

#12 ·
Comprehensive would have more than doubled mine, but $250 a year is still very cheap.

#16 ·
most will say 250 or 500 but my recomendation for a starter bike is the 00-02 zx6r, you can get a hell of a deal on them & well they aren't as twitchy as the new 600's sure they have the ability but not as sudden if you will, the power on them is very tameable & smooth not to mention that bike will do ya good for years until your ready to move to a modern 600

#21 ·
If you're broke and don't mind the cyclops look I'd go for the 500. If not maybe the 650-black on red is freakin wicked. Honestly I was looking to buy a new 250 when they first came out but went and got myself a 600 instead. Couldn't go back....70mph in first gear is just too nice of a rush...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.