Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the Italians are dominating racing, basically?

Rossi, Biaggi, and Capirossi for example took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Mugello this year, I think. I understand it's their home track, but it's not like the three of them have never been on the podium altogether before.

Must be something in the water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you’d like a semi-serious answer, perhaps consider the following:

1) Historically, Italians produce some of the finest engineering and art the world has every known. Examine the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel or any of Leonardo DaVinci’s writings and notes, you’ll understand.
2) That stated, application of said engineering and art often leaves much to be desired. Ask any owner of an early ‘90’s Ducati 851, triple eight, or 916, they’ll be glad to tell you in detail.
3) Massimo Tamburini’s design genius produced one of the most fundamentally great motorcycles ever produced: the aforementioned 851/916 series, progenitors of today’s totally dominant designs. The chassis and engine are pure elegance, if rather quirky.
4) Teams such as Fast By Ferraci, Infostrada, and a dozen others have spent more than a decade studying the engineering strengths and weaknesses of the aforementioned design. Strengths include a great chassis, ability to put power to ground, and factory support. Weaknesses include front-wheel weight bias (due to the forward-facing cylinder’s position) and inherent limits to power and fragility posed by the Desmoquattro design.
5) The new Triple-9 addresses some of the weaknesses while maintaining certain fundamental, known-good design elements.
6) Racing rules have traditionally favored ~1000cc twin cylinder bikes vs. the four-cylinder competition. I believe that’s why Honda dumped the vaunted RC45 for the RC51 in 2000. Understand the world’s changing this year with the modification or elimination of these rules. Expect to see the likes of GSX-R1000’s and such on the podium more often, if (and only if) numerous variables gel together.
7) Throw sufficient R&D time at just about anything, it’ll perform (within the provided rules framework).

Personally, I’m puzzled Aprilia hasn’t challenged Ducati more the past few years. I gather they’re concentrating on GP instead. Seems a shame to me, since the design’s significantly more amenable to horsepower and handling than comparable Ducatis (my humble opinion).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha, good one strong bad. Thanks for the info DRB. But having the technology, design, and all that good stuff doesn't constitute for why Biaggi, Rossi, and Capirossi can ride so well. I mean... they ride hondas and yamahas (well, I think Biaggi was formerly Yamaha).

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The Italian domination of MotoGP is only a very recent thing. Throughout the 70's, 80's, and a good chunk of the 90's it was dominated by Americans. Italian riders just surpassed the US number for most wins of all timesin the premier class. Considering we've got Colin Edwards (my no.1 horse), Nicky Hayden, John Hopkins, and Kenny Roberts in there I'm sure next year you'll see more US winners. Each of these guys have what it takes to win albeit all but one don't have the equipment to help them on that path.

Hopefully next year we'll see Edwards kickin' ass, he's gotta be one of the coolest guys in MotoGp, along with Nicky - hell who am I kidding, they're all a bunch of cool guys and I can say so for certain after meeting both Coling and Nicky.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hot Italian chicks? Ummmm NO! I dated an Italian girl, and she had more hair on her arms than me, didn't stop me from going all the way with her but uh, yeah so anyways....

The best looking girls are in Norway, by far nothing else compares!! :D

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
True, a large majority of Italian girls have a lot of body hair but a lot of them are damn fine. One of my exe's was Italian. She was hot, best part her arse. Anyway, she waxed her arms and legs of course. Other than that she was smooth all over ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think one of the reasons is that the general public and government in Italy favor motorsports (can you spell Ferrari) and they have some world class racetracks-> lot's of juniors->some of them eventually become very good...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
In other words: The bike/person ratio is way higher in Italy or Spain than over here or in the states (scooters count!!, watch the first "Taxi" film if you don't believe me:D). And lots of mountain roads and symphatetic cops along with an understanding justice system. This is the country that raised their max speed limit to 150km/h so people wouldn't speed so much. They'll still be going the same speeds, but brake the law to a lesser degree:D

In Italy you will also find Milano where even old ladies wore shirts with a seat belt painted on it when using them became mandatory. Or so I'm told. Sounds like my kind of place, never been there myself though[V]. Yet[:p]

Oh, cruisers don't count, however.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.