Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I researched on racetech.com the stock springs on the first gen 650r would be recommended for a 325lb rider 1.02 kg/mm. Ive also seen a youtube vid where some guy sat on one that was like 250 and barely moved the triple clamp. The vid was throttle tv and he was testing the stock sag on riders of various weights. Needless to say the 135 lb girls didnt budge it. From these figs I would think that 99 percent of the riders would have a way to stiff and harsh forks. The sv650 which is very similar uses 71 kg/mm springs. So why such heavy ass springs? I wonder about this because I am very interested in this bike. Most likely will get one soon. So Im already thinking of upgrading the front springs.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Stock springs meant for a 325lb rider? I don't buy it. I'm about 170lbs and if anything I find the front forks a bit soft on my ER6n and Ninja 650R. Have you actually measured the sag of your front forks?

·
Registered
48 Posts
chances are the stock springs are generally stiff but not progressively stiff, Where as a higher quality spring will get stiffer the more you compress it, the stock one probably doesn't, most normal riders will more than likely feel that the front end is harsh over bumps and such, yet when pushed to the conditions like TonyBKK would put them through they show their true colors, and aren't stiff where the need to be.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Very few fork springs are progressive wound these days. The general view is that it's better to keep a constant rate spring and contol it with the damping. At the rear a good monoshock system uses a link to increase the effective spring rate rather than a progressive spring. This also alters the effective damping rates as the leverage ratio alters with wheel movement.

After saying all that, I never found the ER-6 front end too stiff - it's not as stiff as my Street Triple R which is considered to have very good suspension - but I did think that the rear spring was too soft to match the forks and too soft for the bike.

One of the UK mags reckoned that they got a massive improvement over the stock set up at very low cost by fitting cartridge emulators to the front to increase damping with the stock springs, and fitting a stiffer spring at the rear to the stock shock.

Rob

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I don't know if you guys outside the US received bikes with different spring rates in the forks, but the 650 I bought was ridiculously stiff in the front out of the box. The front end was very harsh. Emulators or not, the springs are flat wrong for 95% of riders.

The springs I am running now are .865 kg/mm, which work well for a track ridden bike and a 140lb rider.

The SV may run a .72 kg/mm spring in the front, but they are known for being a little soft from the factory.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The fork springs ARE stiff for a typical damping system, but the stock system having very little damping control, especially at low speeds (I am referring to fork compression/rebound speed, not bike speed). So the added spring stiffness is a necessary compensation for the mediocre damping of the stock forks.

The stock dampers use fluid flow damping, where fluid of forced through orifices to control the fork movement. At low speed compression forces (dips, weight shift, braking, cornering, etc) the fork will often feel much too soft because oil flows through these orifices easily at low speed. This leaves the front end feeling somewhat vague mid corner when it wants to dive and wallow from a lack of low speed damping control. At high speed compression forces (bumps, ruts, etc), the oil packs and doesn't flow as smoothly through these orifices, so the fork feels harsh and too stiff. This is actually backwards to what you'd normally want, where the fork provides firmer resistance under low speed forces, but softer resistance to bumps and impacts. Adding thicker oil improves low speed control, but makes bumps even more harsh. Adding softer springs makes bumps a little more friendly, but causes even more brake dive. There is no win, only compromise. Using a Racetech valve or something similar is a good step toward ideal valving, making the fork react more like a decent "cartridge" system.

A typical mid-to-high end suspension system uses valved pistons with specific circuits for oil flow for compression and rebound. Even more advanced systems will have adjustability for low speed compression and rebound, and even better is adjustability for high speed compression and rebound. Some will use reservoirs to utilize more oil capacity to prevent overheating. What typically happens in this type of system, is that each piston will have shims to control oil flow through ports in the piston itself, or through another part of the shock. When oil flows one direction, the shims are forced closed and they allow zero flow through that port. When oil flows in the other direction, they flex, allowing some oil to get by. When the forces are high enough, they flex and allow the ports to open even further, increasing oil flow. This is unfortunately more expensive. Because this style of damping circuit has so much more control than the stock system mentioned above, softer springs can be utilized to allow for a more comfortable ride without sacrificing handling or bump response.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Which is why I switched to a USD cartridge fork from a ZX6R

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Some of this might be the traditional difference between EU and US suspension systems. US suspension is laughably soft for the EU market, while you guys think our suspension is far too hard.

It's what you're brought up with and what you get used to, I guess.

I'll add a slightly off topic comment - I left the hospital where the wife is on Sunday, riding the Street Triple R a bit (a lot really lol) too fast up the drive and had to brake hard on broken concrete paving. The bike behaved perfectly fine, but the feedback through the ST-R's stiff front sspension came close to breaking both bloody wrists.

Jason - If my math is right your preferred spring rate is about 45lb per inch, so 90 lb per inch in all on the front end. Assume a 300lb load (half of a combined 600lb bike and rider) and you'd need about 2" preload for correct sag and you'de get a fair bit of dive under braking. Those figures are. of course, very rough, but I think I'd find those springs a bit soft for my taste.

Back to the difference between EU and US preferences again lol.

Rob

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Some of this might be the traditional difference between EU and US suspension systems. US suspension is laughably soft for the EU market, while you guys think our suspension is far too hard.

It's what you're brought up with and what you get used to, I guess.

I'll add a slightly off topic comment - I left the hospital where the wife is on Sunday, riding the Street Triple R a bit (a lot really lol) too fast up the drive and had to brake hard on broken concrete paving. The bike behaved perfectly fine, but the feedback through the ST-R's stiff front sspension came close to breaking both bloody wrists.

Jason - If my math is right your preferred spring rate is about 45lb per inch, so 90 lb per inch in all on the front end. Assume a 300lb load (half of a combined 600lb bike and rider) and you'd need about 2" preload for correct sag and you'de get a fair bit of dive under braking. Those figures are. of course, very rough, but I think I'd find those springs a bit soft for my taste.

Back to the difference between EU and US preferences again lol.

Rob
Your math seems right, but as installed the springs do have quite a bit of preload. Even if you back the preload adjusters on the fork caps all the way off there is still quite a bit of preload on the spring. My springs are actually the recommended springs from RaceTech, and my forks are set up by a professional suspension tuner, Dave Moss, who does happens to be from Europe.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Yeah. It's not an untypical amount of preload for a front fork.

Like I said, a lot of it comes down to personal taste.

Rob

·
Registered
488 Posts

racetech springs and emulators... gave the bike better handling and predictable response on every pavement.... and gives adjustments for tweaking...

·
Registered
25 Posts
EVERY damn thread I look at about the er6 suspension is an ancient one, but I'm going to try this one and see if anyone responds, if not? Oh well, I have also checked the race tech website for what spring rate would suit my weight, it says 1.15kg/mm and the bike apparently has 1.2kg/mm rate, but the forks are WAY WWWAAAYYY to soft, under hard braking at the track the fork bottoms are hitting the triple clamps and makes the front hop and skip (not a nice feeling heading into a corner), and the hardest spring rate for these bikes from race tech is 1.1kg/mm, so now I'm cornered, I don't know what to do, I don't really want to spend too much money on the bike as I don't plan on keeping it much longer, BUT I have set time goals for myself at the tracks before I get a new bike, and I'm not sure if I'm going to get to them, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
EVERY damn thread I look at about the er6 suspension is an ancient one, but I'm going to try this one and see if anyone responds, if not? Oh well, I have also checked the race tech website for what spring rate would suit my weight, it says 1.15kg/mm and the bike apparently has 1.2kg/mm rate, but the forks are WAY WWWAAAYYY to soft, under hard braking at the track the fork bottoms are hitting the triple clamps and makes the front hop and skip (not a nice feeling heading into a corner), and the hardest spring rate for these bikes from race tech is 1.1kg/mm, so now I'm cornered, I don't know what to do, I don't really want to spend too much money on the bike as I don't plan on keeping it much longer, BUT I have set time goals for myself at the tracks before I get a new bike, and I'm not sure if I'm going to get to them, does anyone have any suggestions?
What do you weigh? You could always try a thicker fork oil or cartridge emulators, as the stock damper rod internals are antique technology.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty heavy (unfotunately) I weigh 110kg (240lb), I've been thinking about race tech emulators, or the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge kit, that seems to be the more complete setup, like I said though, I don't REALLY want to spend too much money on the bike, as I don't plan on keeping for much longer (maybe 6 more months), would just maybe fitting proggresive springs help? Or is that not really to good an idea?

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing that I did try though that hasn't made any difference is putting spacers in for more preload, I made 29mm long spacers, dropped the forks 20mm through the clamp to try keep ride height the same, and not make the bike lazy steering wise, but they still bottom out

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Progressive springs in a performance application normally are a bad idea. I'm surprised that the forks are bottoming out on you like that, even at your weight. I have friends that are your size or bigger and have tracked bikes with softer springs than that without the issues you describe. You may try a thicker fork oil to see if that helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Are your forks at stock height in the trees? The only time I've had forks bottom out is when I had my bike lowered too much (set up for wife).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have also checked the race tech website for what spring rate would suit my weight, it says 1.15kg/mm and the bike apparently has 1.2kg/mm rate, but the forks are WAY WWWAAAYYY to soft, under hard braking at the track the fork bottoms are hitting the triple clamps and makes the front hop and skip (not a nice feeling heading into a corner), and the hardest spring rate for these bikes from race tech is 1.1kg/mm, so now I'm cornered
What year is your bike? Any mods or bought the bike used? I know someone with a 2006 who mentioned they remember them soft but others have mentioned they are not. I have a 2009 and at one point I was 230 so about 250 with gear and I have never experienced bottoming or ever really witnessed much movement out of them at all. I was fortunate enough to find a way to drop 50 pounds so I now have 1kg Racetech springs with emulators. Well worth the upgrade for the track.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts