Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's your top speed?

2K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  t-type 
#1 ·
Hi,

On Tech tipps I am reading a lot on gearing down to go faster[?], gearing up to go faster[?][?], slip-on's give more speed etc. My top (acc. Taco) was about 240 km/h so 150 mph (I know, but I am newbie) where the bike felt like having a lot more to go ('01 ZX6R, all stock). I am looking for some add-ons like a new can, but it's another discussion topic[:M59]. I want to know; WHAT ARE YOUR ADD ONS, AND HOW FAST U CAN GO? [:M83]

#3 ·
All the bullshit aside, the '00-'02s will top out in the 155-160 mph range. The speedo is optomistic. Even a full system won't increase that much. If you look at liter bike, they are putting out around 150 hp and their top speed is in the 170-175 mph range. So it is taking an addition 50 hp to get from 160 to 175. How much do you think 10 hp (maybe) from a full system will get you and then how much the 2-3 hp (maybe nothing) a slip-on will get you.

Trust me, you won't see top speed on your bike very often.

#4 ·
Originally posted by swjohnsey

Trust me, you won't see top speed on your bike very often.
Actually the reason why I am looking for a can is to have a better comfort at the lover rpm's, to make it more comfty riding in city traffic, and for the sound. Top speed is the other question, to find out the experience of other people.

Also while here in Germany there are no speed limits on Highways, where we see them more often. No Speed limits rulez!

#5 ·
The sound on after-market cans ranges from about the same as stock to obnoxiously loud. Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to me would probably not sound good to you. The most comfortable sound wise if probably the stock can. I have a Yoshimura Zyclone (?) that below 8,000 rpm is about a quiet as a stock can. Above 8,000 it is a little louder but not obnoxiously so. Loud pipes are cop callers.

#6 ·
Originally posted by swjohnsey

The sound on after-market cans ranges from about the same as stock to obnoxiously loud. Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to me would probably not sound good to you. The most comfortable sound wise if probably the stock can. I have a Yoshimura Zyclone (?) that below 8,000 rpm is about a quiet as a stock can. Above 8,000 it is a little louder but not obnoxiously so. Loud pipes are cop callers.
Yeah but I can't hear the bike riding over 160 Km/h. Obvious reasons for a new can :D.

#8 ·
Originally posted by minytrker

What part of Germany are you from, Im in Frankfurt all the time. I love not having a speed limit, I drive around 240Km/h almost everywhere, sometimes faster depending on my rental car.
I am living in Oelde between Dortmund and Bielefeld which is about 300 Km's north from Frankfurt. I made from here to gas station in Frankfurt Airport (298 km) in 1h36 min once, of course in a rental.:D

#11 ·
For your information, I've been to 250 km/h yesterday. It is about 155 mph. It still has more to go, I will try as soon as the weather gets a bit better again. I would be happy to get me a gps to find out how fast really it was.

#12 ·
I read in some magazine that top speed for all 600cc sportbikes is 158.8mph(range) with the hondarr topping out at 162mph. The fastest i've been was 260km/h(161mph) and that on a slight downhill also. On a straight road I couldn't get past 256km/h(158mph) and I was at WOT for at least 10 seconds when i hit 256km/h I was around 14 -15k rpm in 6th gear. I also doubt that an exhaust system will increase your top speed, however it will get you to your top speed faster.

#16 ·
About two months ago, I was riding with another friend and we decided to open up our bikes and when I read my speedo, I was past 270 kph and I started to slow down since my exit was coming up rather quickly. I know that the speedo probably wasn't accurate but it felt like I could bring it past the indicated 280 kph. Someday I'll probably test that theory and bury the needle.

Cheers!

Robbie
'02 silver/black

#19 ·
About three weeks ago I went out for a ride with the group of guys I ride with.We went to the Falls,then on the way back were being bug from a kid in a 5.0L mustang so a few of the guys started playing around with the ass in the car,then the racing begain[}:)]I got up to a top speed of about 270/275mp/h.That was the most insane speed I have gone on or in anything.Thats not all,the next I went out with the guys agian and thats where I found out that 1 of the guys neighbours is a OPP[:0]he was telling my friend that somebody had phoned the cops and let them know that we where racing on the highway,so the cops shut the highway down at the bottom of the skyway bridge in burlington[:0]the only reason we did not get caught was that 1 of the guys was low on fuel so we took the next exit for gas .Thank God we did thats it I just had to tell you guys about my frist racing on the highway and the cops that night.Vi

[}:)]Virus[}:)]

#20 ·
I'm going to call B.S. First of all there's no way in hell you were going 270mph. It's stretching it to even say you typoed and meant 170-175mph on a '98 600. 170mph is pretty close to 275kph anyways. I'm not saying you weren't going fast, I just don't think that fast. Maybe since that was the first time you had been that fast you didn't read it right.

--"Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed..."--

#23 ·
On any bike, I'd have to say, any bike not built specifically for top speed runsor 1/4 mile races that is. What do those pro drag bikes get up to?

The overly optimistic speedo on my 02 636 showed me just a tad under 280km/h (like maybe 278) so I'm guessing maybe 250-255 km/h real speed. Maybe I'll try it with a gps sometime, probably not though.

#25 ·
At 60mph registered on speedo. I am running 53mph on radar. 180 on speedo. I can get it up to 175 registered on speedo. So I guess about 165-168. 02 with d&d slip-on 2 up in back and slightly rejetted carbs. I weigh 195 and bike has been reduced maybe 5lbs. I have a 14 tooth front coming now. I don't need to go that fast. All curves are normally taken under 80mph and I do alot of wheelies and stoppies. Not alot of long trips. If you want to increase speed lose weight, whether it be on you or the bike. Take mirrors off, tuck in more, ride when there is no wind, or ride downhill. You are not going to pick up a whole lot unless you install a turbo or something and then you will have to change your gear ratio so you don't hit the rev limiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.