Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I got my wheels in and im changing over the sprockets and rotors but before I hack something up what is the best way to get the wheel bearing out so I can put them in my new wheels!! please help.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hammer and long screwdriver, or you could get one of those $100+ bearing extractors

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Once you've removed a bearing you should put a new one in.

Banging it out with a hammer and screwdriver will cause brinelling - translation your bearing is compromised and its life expectancy is severely reduced.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
oh...haha I didn't read the whole thing...why not get a new one? They're only $12

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I just replace the bearings not the mid shaft. and I got some brass punch's If I can remove them without damage is it ok to use them? the bearings are still good and I dont like to waste!and im on a extremely tight budget!thanks to our current economy!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
if you can extract the bearings without hitting the inner race or seal, yes. you can reuse them.

if you hit them on the inner race, you fuck it up.. dents the races and balls and shift the cage surrounding the balls keeping them spaces evenly.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
if you can extract the bearings without hitting the inner race or seal, yes. you can reuse them.

if you hit them on the inner race, you fuck it up.. dents the races and balls and shift the cage surrounding the balls keeping them spaces evenly.
Shoulda said that - lol. Brinelling is the dents that you put in there when you hit the inner race. The inner race hits the bearings, which hits the outer race and then shoves the outer race out. But the ball bearings will mar the inner and outer race because they aren't meant to take a blow like that.

You're not concerned about damage to the visible portion of the race (that a brass punch would save) you're concerned about the stuff that gets banged around inside the bearing every time you hit it with the punch.

But like Altec said - for $12 just buy a new bearing, a new one will last a LONG LONG time. $36 over 24000+ km isn't very expensive at all.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
right.. i thought you meant brinelling of the bore from axial shift of the outer race getting moved on one side.. then the other.. then the first side.. then the other .. as he "walked" the bearing out with a punch.

shoulda read into it and not skimmed.. lol

and thats why i use a press and a large socket for this sorta job

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
no...don't reuse them.... Either way, I can promise you will slip/miss pounding them out so plan on buying new ones. A wheel bearing kit from all balls is $25.

·
Registered
143 Posts
also do you replace the inner sleeve also?
There's no need to replace the inner sleeve between the left & right wheel bearings. The inner sleeve just acts as a spacer, and doesn't bear any load, therefore it shouldn't experience any wear.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I just went to the dealer since they had them in stock and was the cheapest I could find

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok the dealer said I would have to order them and they are $16 each! I can get the allballs for $28 shipped. has anyone else used these.are they good?

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I've needed wheel bearings in the past, I've usually just bought them from whatever local bearing supplier was nearest to me at the time.

The only selection criterea i use is to check the country of manufacture.
Either JAPAN or GERMANY works for me. Anywhere else doesn't cut the mustard as far as im concerned. Just remember NEVER BUY BEARINGS MADE IN CHINA !!!!

Wheel bearings live a hard life. I really dont think it's worth skimping on quality, where bearings are concerned in order to save a few $. You'll most likely regret it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I run a lot of all balls kits with fine success...they're a good option if you need the seals as well.

like bogfart mentioned if you have a bearing supplier near you you can get them pretty reasonable too. I do this when I don't need seals. look in the phone book under bearings...

6205 is a fairly common size to have on the shelf and will be reasonably priced. Tell them you need it with seals...(not shields)...

don't buy a no name bearing...when the guy behind the counter asks "price or quality", say "quality". SKF, Nachi, RBC, NTN, NMB...etc..

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Eh, just go for the best bearings you can get imo. Then you don't need to worry about them. Woodcraft sells ceramic bearing kits for like $200.00

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok I went with the allballs and I installed them already! I like that it comes with the seals aswell.thanks for the help peeps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts