Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to take out/put in wheel bearings?

so far, I removed them by pounding them out with a hammer and screw driver but I ruined 3 out of 4 bearings. They are pressure fit pretty tight in the wheels. Im doing a rim powdercoat project.

When the rims are done what is the best way to get the new bearings back in without damaging the bearing or the rim?

I tried a search, and looked in the "how to" section but didnt find much.

thanks
-Kyle

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
a hammer and punch is how most of us do them. But even a "bearing removal tool" which wedges on the ID of the race, uses impact against the inner race...in ALL cases they are to be discarded and replaced...the hammering puts small dents into the balls and races.

Installation...I get them started squarely just with a hammer and a wood block. After its past the edge of the rim I used a large socket to hammer only on the outer race.

You can get a bear/seal driver set .... they come with various diameter discs and a center mandrel to drive againt these. I am sure Harbor Freight has a cheap kit...i keep telling myself I should buy one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro.

is it ok to put a thin coat of greese on it so it goes in easier or does it have to be metal to metal?

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Thanks bro.

is it ok to put a thin coat of greese on it so it goes in easier or does it have to be metal to metal?
Grease is fine. I used a large socket that just touched the edge of the bearing while still being able to fit in the wheel. The trick is to be able to apply uniform pressure all around the outside rim of the bearing case. My little secret which helped me out big time was putting the bearings in the freezer overnight. They shrink down just that little bit so they slip in like butter.

Or like my penis in your mother.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What kinda bike? I know the 00-02 ZX6R had a snap ring in side the rim to hold them. The freezer trick is the shit.

Habs

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z1000, there is a snap ring on one side of each wheel, but its still a pressure fit along with the snap ring

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
The snap ring is pretty much universal. Getting it out and back in was the most time consuming process of the whole job. I had some bigger snap ring pliers, but the ends were too big to fit in the little holes, and my small pliers were way too weak and angled badly, so they kept slipping off the rings. GRRR!

·
Registered
594 Posts
My little secret which helped me out big time was putting the bearings in the freezer overnight. They shrink down just that little bit so they slip in like butter.

Or like my penis in your mother.
hahah you truely are a sick fuck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If your avatar is a pic of your mother I'm a sick fuck too and would be proud of it lol. My parts don't have to be cold and shrunk to fit in that though. If I take my time I can get mine in any hole. lol

Habs

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Thanks!
If your avatar is a pic of your mother I'm a sick fuck too and would be proud of it lol. My parts don't have to be cold and shrunk to fit in that though. If I take my time I can get mine in any hole. lol

Habs
What i said was funny, but that was just offensive;).

Hopefully this guy comes back on here and posts his experience and whether or not our tips worked.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the posts, I havn't got the wheels back from the powdercoater nor the bearings in the mail for that matter. I will post results (and pics) when completed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Habs
Habsfan39,
hopefully you will remove this post as it has nothing to do with the topic and has already offended some... This thread will probably be read many times in the future by others searching for the same info. Have a little class!:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts