Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a ZX6R and have about 1900 miles on it. I've been riding for about 5 months and feel pretty comfortable/confident on the bike. I have messed around in first gear getting the wheel off the ground, but I still have the fear of tipping over. I was told that first gear is not the gear to do wheelies in. Can anybody tell me how to do a proper wheelie and get over the fear of tipping over? Thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
In first gear, spin it up to about 8 grand, back off then on (while tugging on the bars). Most important, keep that right foot resting on the bake brake. If you start passing the balance point just tap the back brake!!! With a bigger back sprocket, 42 or higher, second gear will come up in the same manner and less likley hood of looping. I would stay away from dropping the a tooth in the front, it generates more friction adn HP robbing heat...

I don't touch the clutch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You should get someone to watch you. It will always feel like you are going higher than usual. You will actually be much lower. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Today I practiced and I got it a little higher. I just kept getting used to the height. Than slowly I would go a little higher. I went up a little more than usual. It scared the shit out of me. But it's all about getting used to it. Just like how you got used to the throttle and the kick the bike gives.

You gota have balls like these to drive a bike!

·
Registered
768 Posts
You'll know when it hits the balance point...it gets light.

Typically first gear is the easist to do power up wheelies, but 2nd is safer for doing clutch wheelies. The faster you go the more correction time you have.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey there was reading the posts here.
You say get it to about 8000 rpm then back of then on agian.
What do you mean by back of then on.
just a little off then back to about the same throttle position?
or really let off on it then gun the shit out of it?
Just asking for clarification incase i get the balls to play with it.

Thanx

Luke

·
Registered
572 Posts
When I say back off adn on again I mean, roll off the throttle quick enought to compress the forks and then roll back on the throttle quick enough that the preload along with your tug get the front wheel up. Once the front wheel is up then you can practive getting it higher and higher until you can ride it out adn eventually shift (no clutch) to 2nd and 3rd.

As far as throttle position after rolling up to 8G then roll off the throttle to get the front end to dip, then roll the throttle back on (pretty quick but use caution adn take it in steps as to not loop it) to about half throttle or so. Make sure you have you foot on the brake ready to check the bike in case it comes up too fast which generally isn't a problem if your going fast enough.

Whatever you do when getting back on the throttle, do it in steps and to diffrent throttle degrees. You'll start to get a feel what I'm talking about but by all means DO NOT GUN THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!

Ther biggest thing to get it off the ground is after you spin up to 8G, back off quick and then right back on when the forks compress while giving a tug on the bars.....

Sorry if my explaination is bad, I'm trying...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanx for the clarification.
Don't mean to sound like an idiot.
I want to try doing some light wheelie stuff. Dont need to make it to the balance point just want to get a nice up there position for a second or two.

lol i know once i do that i might want more.

Thanx though

Luke

·
Registered
720 Posts
Man you should have seen me practicing. I was trying to figure it out on a road with light traffic. I'm sitting there trying to yank it and everyone is just looking. Than I finally got'em. So then I am going down another one with no traffic and I'm trying again, than I see this other dude on a sportbike just looking at me thinking wtf is he doing. But I pulled a descent one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Try and flow to when you pull up. Like when you you let the throttle off after 8,000, just before you yank it move down towards the gas tank than as your moving up yank the throttle. Kind of flow with it. Be like water.
Ya know like Bruce Lee's philosophy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i dont know why everyones scraed of clutching in 1st. thats the only gear i will do it in. its just one of the coolest looking wheelies to me. from a dead stop i let the clutch out normal, then wot and bump the clutch. at that point im doing maybe 15 and the bikes wagging back and forth. looks like one of the wheelies in the starboyz video.

·
Registered
572 Posts
josh1095_1 bad assumption that we're afraid to use the clutch. I don't recall I said I was afraid, I said it was my preference, I don't like using the clutch.

More over, when you talking to someone trying to do them for the first time, the slower you go, the more likley an inexperianced person will loop the damn thing. Use your head.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Amen brother. The slower the wheelie, the bigger the chance of looping it. Nothing wrong with clutching wheelies, just no need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anybody tell me how to do a wheelie in second gear? Will it ruin my clutch? Should I learn to wheelie in first gear, before progressing to second? Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you can do them in first just run it up to or close to the balancing point and shit into second (no clutch). I have a good piece of info for wheelies from another forum I belong to. I'll post it in a few under it's own topic.

PGH, PA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.