Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been sorta discussed but I never saw the real answer to this question. Pulling up in second gear. I know it can be done using clutch but my main question is this. do you
a. roll up first, shift to second, roll up a little, let off the gas while pulling in the clutch, roll up the throttle and dump the clutch

or

b. roll up first, pull in the clutch, shift to second, rull up the throttle then dump the clutch

or

c. roll up first, pull in clutch, shift to second, drop clutch, roll throttle then while on the gas pull in the clutch roll more throttle and then dump the clutch.

I know i'm making it seem harder than it is but I gotta know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ummmm, DO NOT rev it to 14,500 rpms then dump it. you will most likely loop the damn thing.

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
315 Posts
dude, unless your over 200 and dont know how to shift your weight why do you need a clutch up at all??? mines stock and as low as 7500 rpm i can pull 2nd gear standups. i dont know about shifting from first to second while in a wheelie. thats how i looped my first bike. it also bend shift forks in the transmission. just practice at getting a balance point(like i am). ive put about 700 miles on this bike and i can ride 2nd gears for an 1/8 mile. clutching it costs when you go to replace friction disks and its more jerky. i am by no means a "wheelie god" but maybe this helps. just roll to 8 or 9 k and chop throttle, then crack the throttle wide open and pull up really hard on the clipons. then modulate throttle as needed to keep the wheel nice and high up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are you trying sitdowns or standups? If doing standups then it will come up in 2nd or 3rd all power. Just take it slow and go at your own pace and before you know it you will be riding wheelie with ease. Once you learn the balance point you can ride out pretty much as long you want. I get bored after a couple of miles so I end up putting it down.

2001 ZX-6R

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/minytrker/bike.htm
http://www.knology.net/~minytrker/

·
Registered
89 Posts
power wheelies in 2nd & 3rd?
did you change your sprockets or anything?
do you load the front end (by diping the nose) then crack it?
i just roll it up in first.

"Winning is not a sometime thing: it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vincent Thomas Lombardi

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't have stock gearing any more but I learned on my bike when it was bone stock. I have done 3rd gear wheelies on R6, 6R, GSXR600, but havent tried a F4I. I sorta load the front but its more throttle timing I think. Check out the video.

2001 ZX-6R

Video's of wheelies Here
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/minytrker/endo1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/minytrker/bike.htm
http://www.knology.net/~minytrker/

·
Registered
89 Posts
the tank mount video does not work. id like to see it though. can you email it?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I definitely would not recommend to anyone to use the clutch as a primary method of getting the front end airborn. In my opinion, it's too hard on the bike (especially if you don't know what you're doing) and I'll almost guarantee that you'll loop out at least once. If you aren't scared of the bike, and you really, really do want to pull the front end off the ground, trust me, it WILL come up. It's all a matter of timing and balance, that's all.

The other day, I was on the highway cruising in sixth gear and was trying to get over to the right to get off the next exit. For some reason, the ass next to me would speed up and slow down to keep me from getting over, and before I could hammer on it to pass him, it was too late, I missed the exit. I got so pissed that I pulled in the clutch, downshifted twice, let out the clutch, pinned the throttle as hard as I could, and I swear to God the front end came up at least a foot. That was without trying, in FOURTH gear. Kinda scared me, but excited me at the same time. Sorta like the way dj makes me feel;)
HAHAHA.

-keep the rubber side down.[}:)]

·
Registered
134 Posts
I own a 00 6R and it is possible to pull it up in second and third (standing up) with a completely stock bike. Also snapping the clutch (sitting down) in first anywhere from 5-20 mph produces good results, just get it up, click it into second, third and you are on your way to a half mile wheelie. The third gear stand up you need to go about 70, crack on it and pull on the bars and it comes up. My longest so far is almost a mile, but i am getting it. Just go at your own pace, it took me the better part of a summer to get where I am now. There is nothing like the feeling of riding a wheelie!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Okay...question... in the video that shows the cockpit...are you in 3rd or 4th gear when you pull that wheelie? Or 5th. I tried to count how many times it looked like you shifted...but I didn't pay attention that well.

2nd..I can tell you didn't pull the clutch or at least it didn't look like it by your RPMs. You did a power wheelie in 3rd or 4th or 5th gear on a 6R? That's is awesome!

Okay...I've come to realize that I believe my bike will raise alot better if I do stand up wheelies. Is this true. What I'm going for is a 2nd gear (stand up) power wheelie (I hate pulling the clutch) on my pretty much stock 026R. Is this possible. I think my biggest problem is not enough RPMs. I kind of give up after my bike doesn't feel like its going to come up at about 9000 RPMs. Should I have faith that it will come up at say about 10000 or 11000 RPMs?

Here is what I'm doing:

at about 5-6K I'm on the throttle then releasing it (to let front forks depress) then hitting the throttle hard to hope for a wheelie. My butt is raised (in anticipation for a stand up). Any other advice?

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Marine, get the rpms up to about 7 or 8G's, then off back on quick with a good handful of throttle. Please make sure you have your right foot on top of the back brake so you don't loop it!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Would it make wheelies easier if I turned my suspension to a harder setting???

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Cool Vid. The song is "Alone I Break" off of the "Untouchables" CD. Gotta love the Korn.

Ken - Yellow '02

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.