Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easer to do a wheelie when you have a 1/4 tank of gas or less.Trying to wheelie just after filling up takes more work which I have yet to do.

It's not the size of your bike but how you use it

·
Registered
720 Posts
Go like this linm, rev it up hard and let the rpms climb down, you should notice that your front end is being pulled down. Next when you get to 6K rpm jerk up while giving it full throttle, be careful though, it will come up fast. Not really but thats how it will feel. It's the jerking up while revving at the right time that will take practice, if you want just wait till it get s to 4-5K rpm before pulling up. You'll get a little wheelie, but at least you won't be freaked out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really don't get it, I've read all these posts of how the bike will wheelie on WOT in 1st.

from rolling like 10mph, i go WOT, and when i hit the power band, my bike don't come up. I try climbing up to the power band, the shutting off then going WOT, still no wheelie, jeez i must suck

I have a 99zx6r with Stock Gearing, I see everybody here taht says it's so simple to bring it up in first, but i think a majority of these people altered their gearing.

maybe my 99 is to heavy and underpowered.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I own a 99' i have just changed out the front srocket and yes it makes it easier, but i could pull good wheelies in first and decent in second when it was factory. Now i have the 14t up front and i am starting to be able to clutch it up in third.

This is my bike.

Go Green

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I'm such an arrogant asshole I'm going to give the same advice twice, even though I'm a total n00b myself.

I'd say you get more effect with moving your behind as far back as you can than with trying to jerk it up i.e.(?) pull on the handlebars. Sometimes I notice that I'm pulling on the bars without being aware of it, and it always messes things up, either the timing is fucked up or you move forward. Just move your ass backwards, tighten your grip on the tank with your knees so you don't inadvertedly move forward and try it again. Oh, and 10mph is too slow, no torque so low in the rev band, and you will have to shut the throttle and snap it open, not slowly increase it, the speed at which you go to wot is important. Mine is a completely stock -02 636 so I guess it has a little more power but not that much more. 4-6k rpms is enough on my bike, prob on yours too.
Oh, and I didn't get it that far up the first day(s) either[:I]

Freedom is won with blood and lost with the stroke of a pen
--uknown

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your '99 has significantly more power than my '97zx6r(or at least it did before my jet kit and until I changed to a 14 tooth front sprocket:D). It's also a lighter bike. What I found with my stock gearing is that a). how fast I did it affected things, b). the rpms on my bike had to be at least 6k, but 8k was better and c.) it was easiest for me when i didn't tug, just pushed my butt as far back on the seat as possible and focused on keeping my body still except for my throttle hand. I also make sure I don't lean forward, which is the natural tendency.

Here's how I would do it: from a stop, accelerate quickly to 8000 rpms in first gear (having already slid as far back on your seat as you can), then close the throttle and snap it back open as quickly as you can. The front should come up so fast it scares you, so be careful and keep the back brake covered.

I've noticed it takes practice and sometimes I do it really well, other times, it's tough to get it up. The air temperature seems to affect my bike's wheelie ability a lot - maybe it's the jetting.

Anyway, I hope this helps[8D]

mvrk1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.