Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really getting the urge to do wheelies and have tried to them a couple of times but haven't been able to do it. I've read so many posts about what to do ie. speed, position (standing vs. sitting), clutch vs. power, yadda yadda. My thing is (as with most wannabe's) that i don't know what to expect when I do all of these things. Scared...yeah cause I don't wanna crash on my first attempt. Here's the question: When I roll at about 15mph, stand up (i wanna do standups and feel more comfortable since i can see over the bike if it comes up), pull in clutch while on the gas and then let out, how high should I expect the wheel to come up? I know that I'll probably feel it coming up then let off the gas but if I stay on it and let it keep coming will it be instantaneous (or quickly) go past a controllable point. Again this is relatively slow but people say don't do first gear because it's hard to control. I'm just tryin' to get a feel for it coming up. I've done wheelies accidentlly on my TLR but that was a while ago and I wasn't in control of the wheelie. I don't know if this makes sense but if someone could chime in and give a little info about height or speed lift when wheelying. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you just want a feel for it coming up, Sit down goin in 2nd at like 45mpn or so and slip the clutch in hammer the throttle, get used the feel of the front end up, then stand up kick out that left passenger peg and rip. I dunno I think it's kinda stupid to sit and read about it too much you just have to go do it, once you get it you'll laugh at how easy it really is. Oh yeah, cover the rear brake!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would say if you cant even come up with a good plan on getting the feel for the front wheel coming up safely on your own, you probably shouldnt be doing wheelies yet. Doing wheelies is all about understanding your bike and the ideas of balancing on one wheel, and lots of throttle, rear break, and clutch control. on a 636 if you are riding hard the wheel will come up without trying, so you shouldnt have to "ask" how to get the feel for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you say that it will come up to more than five feet by dumping the clutch? I know it's not that high but i'm a puss for the moment. Yeah, I just need to get used to it coming up initially. I ain't trying to find balance point or anything. I just wanna try and get it up. Thanks for the reply and I'll try it later today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 636Fool
I would say if you cant even come up with a good plan on getting the feel for the front wheel coming up safely on your own, you probably shouldnt be doing wheelies yet. Doing wheelies is all about understanding your bike and the ideas of balancing on one wheel, and lots of throttle, rear break, and clutch control. on a 636 if you are riding hard the wheel will come up without trying, so you shouldnt have to "ask" how to get the feel for it.
Naw I know how to ride. I ain't goin' all the way up bangin' on the limiter. I ain't on a track, know what I mean. I can go from 0-125 no problem and never see the wheel come up. You said clutch control, balancing, lots of throttle, rear break, yadda yadda, but again i'm begining. I know the feel of my bike not the feel of my front wheel coming up. I guess just try it and see. Oh, and yeah practice practice practice and cover the rear break. Got it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dumping the clutch can make you loop, or you can not get the tire off the ground at all. it all depends on how you do it.

first gear should wheelie with no chopping on the throttle and no clutch.

dont get hurt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by 636Fool
i take that back, post pics here when you get hurt...
HAHAHAHA. [:M50]

Seriously, wheelies are best done with little or no planning. Like when you are in the perfect ride and in the zone. Just smooth wheel up on a nice stretch of backroad for a bit with a soft touchdown. I mean, if you have to analyze the shit out of it to the point that you are thinking it out the whole time, that's not even fun. Honestly, reading all the millions of "how to wheelie" posts, I don't see how anyone can explain it to someone in a post. As has been said many times = Once you have it, it's ridiculously effortless.

·
Registered
347 Posts
man just cruise in first about 25 or 7 or 8k rpm then full throttle it. the wheel will come up. just keep that back brake covered. you can control it with engine brake(letting off) as well. then you can ride them longer and longer. just go out with a buddy and practise in a parking lot. remember wear your lid at all times no matter what. Dont want any indian larry results happening. later and best of luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by dangerz0ne

HAHAHAHA. [:M50]

Seriously, wheelies are best done with little or no planning. Like when you are in the perfect ride and in the zone. Just smooth wheel up on a nice stretch of backroad for a bit with a soft touchdown. I mean, if you have to analyze the shit out of it to the point that you are thinking it out the whole time, that's not even fun. Honestly, reading all the millions of "how to wheelie" posts, I don't see how anyone can explain it to someone in a post. As has been said many times = Once you have it, it's ridiculously effortless.

thats kinda what i was trying to get out, if it isnt just coming to you its probably best to just keep riding until it does. if you really want to get on one wheel use a pedal bike or a dirt bike.

If you can wheelie a pedal bike up and down the road, corner and change gears without looping you will feel much better when the wheel comes up on the 636.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy: If I ride 15mph, disengage clutch, rev to 10k, then let out clutch, will wheel come up to close to 12oclock? Yes or No?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by Iced_Out_G
Easy: If I ride 15mph, disengage clutch, rev to 10k, then let out clutch, will wheel come up to close to 12oclock? Yes or No?

Im sorry to be a kawi forum hater, but your rerarded.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ok sorry ill answer your question,

roll in first at around 15mph (10-20 should work tho) stand up on the pegs and put your weight back over the passenger seat. pull in the clutch and bring the RPMS up to atleast 10k, the higher the better tho so if you have done the wire jumper mod and are not scared of redline put the boots to her.

when you let the clutch out do it quick so it doesnt slip at all, the bike will feel like its coming up fast just keep on the gas and guess what you will get your bike to 12oclock.

good luck G

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never got to 12 postion, can you feel it? I guess im scared im gonna dump my shit. I've alreay done it a few times and slow speeds or stops but not 30+ mph's. Is it even worse on your fork seals doing power ups then clutch ups? I guess it would be the same effect upon impact. Im gonna try her tomorrow. Wish me luck lol. later

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had that problem midway of my 'wheelie adventure' i couldnt bring it down nice at all. Now, I'll either ride the rev limiter until the front wheel hits the ground (If it wasnt a balance wheelie) or just lean forwards and give it a lot of gas..it'll come down like a feather if you do it right

·
Registered
249 Posts
hahahaha! well i guess the'll never learn I'm going to stop helping squids out i need parts. I have a feeling there will be an overwhelming amount of them soon [:Opps1]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.