Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I was hoping you would say that the worn tire was the culprit. (sigh).
Oh well, I'm putting new rubber on her all the way around this week, so hopefully that will help or cure the problem. Maybe I'm taking off crooked to begin with or something. Where is the Pimp's advice?

·
Registered
315 Posts
i didnt think anyone else had that problem. when i used to do third gears alot id get to the balance point and get wobble at 100 fuckin mph. try that out. it actually got me into a tankslapper when i landed i wrecked real hard. i still havent told anyone i know the truth, just said it was a rock in the road[:I] so now i dont do third gears. but as i get better with second gear i can actually find the balance now and im picking up just a little amount of wobble. its like it zig zags or something. maybe different rear ride height or something to get rid of it. its got me to the point where its almost not worth it. could it be just thats the way kawis are?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
For those of you who ride wheelies (not wee's), Do you ever get "wheelie wobble" after hitting the balance point and holding it? What I mean is, after holding the balance point for a few seconds in a sit-down wheelie, sometimes my bike will sway side to side, even though I'm not trying to make it do that. Could it be from looking around the fairing to see where the hell I'm going, or possibly the back tire is too worn out, i.e. flat spot in the middle? Do any of you guys have this problem? It doesn't happen every time, but it's kinda scary when it does.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It's happening to me more often now. I don't know if it's from my tire because I also have a flat spot now. Have to see, also it's been more windy here and I know that plays a factor for me since when I do it on low roads nothing happens but on overpasses and bridges I get shaken around because of the wind up there.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by minytrker

On other bikes when I have had the problem changing the way I was sitting helped sometimes. Have you tried sitting differntly? The wind and road conditions also play a factor.

2002 954RR
2001 ZX6R (stunt bike)

http://home.sc.rr.com/minytrker/bike.htm
I haven't tried sitting differently, and I don't think the wind is a factor because I only pull wheelies at around 30mph, so I'm not going fast enough to put the wind into play. Something else I thought it could be is the gas tank. I'll have to see if it wobbles more with a full or empty tank, since the emptier tank would slosh side to side more, but I'm not sure that would cause it. I guess I'll just start doing more standing wheelies and quit doing sit-downs. Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping BTB pimp would have the answer, but he's nowhere to be found..........

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just started to do 3rd gear stand-ups and I'm having the same problem that you guys are having but mostly the bars just shake. I think a damper will help me out, but I have to admit that is very scary around 100mph when the bars shake. I just put it down when that happens. Do any off you clutch it up in third? And if so have you ever gone through a clutch and how often?
-Keep it on one wheel, but keep it safe....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by NASTYZX6R

I just started to do 3rd gear stand-ups and I'm having the same problem that you guys are having but mostly the bars just shake. I think a damper will help me out, but I have to admit that is very scary around 100mph when the bars shake. I just put it down when that happens. Do any off you clutch it up in third? And if so have you ever gone through a clutch and how often?
-Keep it on one wheel, but keep it safe....
be careful in third gears. if you let the wobble happen to long it only gets worse. then when you go to put her down shes gonna buck like all hell. at 100 mph death is a reality. its really not worth it. im a guy who lifts alot of wieghts and ill tell you that you cant possibly stop something that strong. and telephone poles will always win the fight. work on some cornering, the rush you get from putting a knee down is better that a mile long wheelie.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by minytrker

Never had that on my 6r but my 954 gets like that and also R1's and r6's are like that. I think it has something to do with suspension setups.
I had a guy with an R6 that before I tried to wheelie a 6R he would never own a kawasaki beause they are a little more work to get the front up, but he said one day he was wheelie'ing his buddies 016R and he said he LOVED it. He said he felt WAY more stable and that he could hold them forever. He's now thinking about selling his stunt R6 (which he's put in LOTS of money too) to getting an 02 or earlier 6R for stunting. He says the 03s are alot like the 6Rs with their high torque and crazy suspension.

------
_________

2002 ZX6R NINJA!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by iowazx6r

My brother said adjust the rebound on your rear shock. Right now after you get up it's trying to extend and push the wheel back out but can't.

------

Darkdan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
http://danellyn.thedarktruth.com/theory.swf

Already done:D When I changed my tires, I decided to go ahead and check all of my suspension settings (rebound, preload, and compression) on both the forks and the rear shock. Every one of them was maxed out except the preloads. Guess I shoulda checked it when I bought the bike, but I didn't know a whole lot about bikes until a few months ago. Still don't know a whole lot, but enough to save me $60 an hour in shop labor:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think you guys might be thinking too hard. minytrker was pretty much right when he said it was probably the way you are sitting on the bike. as far as clutching up in 3rd gear, the r6 is the only 600 i've ever known to be able to clutch up in 3rd sitting down (at about 100mph). minytrker can attest to this also, since he's done it on my bike a hundred times, too. neither of us use the clutch to pull standups in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.