Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to get my very first bike. I am a 37 year old female that has always wanted to ride. I finally got the courage up to get a little starter bike a Black Ninja 250 in May. So, I put my $300 deposit down after being promised I would receive my bike either the first week of June or the last week of June as they were doing me a favor by putting me on the list when another rider backed out. That should have been my first clue. Now it is almost August and everyone knows in North Dakota you only have so long to ride.... I still have no bike. I have a lowering kit, stickers, helmet, license, and took the safety course. These people are a bunch or morons and made my very first purchase a memorable one but to the negative. I don't know if I will ever even remotely try to purchase another Kawasaki after this and being on a military base neither will many of the people I speak to. Customer Service is the key and these Yahoo's have not even apologized and Kawasaki's reply is "We can't guarantee when they will be delivered" but of course that is NOT what they initially said.
:mad:

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
That stinks.

I'm sure Kawi os more than overwhelmed by the demand.

Sounds like your local stealership blows

·
Registered
274 Posts
the dealer's promise should be accompanied by a receipt with the color and vin number of new bike. they could call around to other dealers and get you one if they were willing. why not make a trip to montana? no sales tax. j

·
Registered
180 Posts
So buy a different bike... The 08 250R is not the only new rider friendly machine on the market.
What else is even close to the 08 250R in price and overall quality? A Honda Rebel? Hyosung GT250R? Some dual purpose 250? That is why the dealers have people over a barrel. They know that for an entry level sports/commuting/fun bike the Ninja is the only game in town. As long as we are speaking new bikes anyway.

Tim

·
My Brute is weak
41,597 Posts

The price people are paying for the 250, they could nearly buy a new EX500 or GS500. Both good newbie bikes as well.

Used bikes are perfectly fine too. Especially for the learning purpose many people buy the 250R for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same story but even longer wait to no happy ending... I ordered my blue 250 in Feb of 08...waited...waited...waited finally called the dealer and they never ordered it and couldnt get one. I got screwed and jut found this out last month in June....so I waited 5 months to get screwed over...

I decided to open my eyes a little and look around for something slightly different and boy am I glad I did. I went and sat on a bunch of different bikes, brands, etc.

Have you tried looking at a suzuiki gsf500, or a kawi ninja 500? I got a great deal on a friends used Kawi 500 and absolutly love it! I am glad that I went with the slightly bigger engine size and a used bike as a first bike versus the brand new bike. I have been riding a dirtbike for about 2yrs and thought I would have been happy with the 250 but now after riding I am glad I went a little bigger. I am glad I also went used bc it is inevitable you will drop you brand new bike being a beginner rider... even though I have been riding a dirt bike I went out on my 2nd street ride stopped at a stop sign waited for my friend and looked over my shoulder at a complete stop and boom down went the bike.. no damage to me or the bike but a little embarrassing but it also made me feel much better about going used bc if it was brand new and i did do damage I'd be pissed...

So all in all the demand fort he 250 is so great they are now saying that no more 08's will be avail and anyone waiting on a list will have to wait for an 09...hah yea ok bc I'll be riding in the snow when they finally come out.

Check around...look for a used bike in good condition.. I lucked out and got a 1997 Kawi 500 only 3,000 miles on it for $1500 from a friend. Best thing I could have done! Good luck and try opening your searh conditions a little more for another bike.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had the same story but even longer wait to no happy ending... I ordered my blue 250 in Feb of 08...waited...waited...waited finally called the dealer and they never ordered it and couldnt get one. I got screwed and jut found this out last month in June....so I waited 5 months to get screwed over...

I decided to open my eyes a little and look around for something slightly different and boy am I glad I did. I went and sat on a bunch of different bikes, brands, etc.

Have you tried looking at a suzuiki gsf500, or a kawi ninja 500? I got a great deal on a friends used Kawi 500 and absolutly love it! I am glad that I went with the slightly bigger engine size and a used bike as a first bike versus the brand new bike. I have been riding a dirtbike for about 2yrs and thought I would have been happy with the 250 but now after riding I am glad I went a little bigger. I am glad I also went used bc it is inevitable you will drop you brand new bike being a beginner rider... even though I have been riding a dirt bike I went out on my 2nd street ride stopped at a stop sign waited for my friend and looked over my shoulder at a complete stop and boom down went the bike.. no damage to me or the bike but a little embarrassing but it also made me feel much better about going used bc if it was brand new and i did do damage I'd be pissed...

So all in all the demand fort he 250 is so great they are now saying that no more 08's will be avail and anyone waiting on a list will have to wait for an 09...hah yea ok bc I'll be riding in the snow when they finally come out.

Check around...look for a used bike in good condition.. I lucked out and got a 1997 Kawi 500 only 3,000 miles on it for $1500 from a friend. Best thing I could have done! Good luck and try opening your searh conditions a little more for another bike.
You start out great and finish great. The middle is a little lame.

Smart move to look at the 500s. They are actually twice the size, not just slightly lbigger. However, the performance isn't twice the amount, actually only slightly better (although not better handling, or appearance). Hopefully all newbies won't go down. Although you did, while at a stop, doesn't mean everyone will, but many have (that was a lame sentence). You did well in your shopping with the 500 for 1500.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
I was so excited to get my very first bike. I am a 37 year old female that has always wanted to ride. I finally got the courage up to get a little starter bike a Black Ninja 250 in May. So, I put my $300 deposit down after being promised I would receive my bike either the first week of June or the last week of June as they were doing me a favor by putting me on the list when another rider backed out. That should have been my first clue. Now it is almost August and everyone knows in North Dakota you only have so long to ride.... I still have no bike. I have a lowering kit, stickers, helmet, license, and took the safety course. These people are a bunch or morons and made my very first purchase a memorable one but to the negative. I don't know if I will ever even remotely try to purchase another Kawasaki after this and being on a military base neither will many of the people I speak to. Customer Service is the key and these Yahoo's have not even apologized and Kawasaki's reply is "We can't guarantee when they will be delivered" but of course that is NOT what they initially said.
:mad:
get ur money back and check around, there are used 08's already going up for sale

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I am also from ND and I sent you a PM with some information. If you need any help, just let me know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
it was snowing when i picked up my bike. this is the time of year to be shopping for skis. too bad about all the sleazy dealers. the first one i called said that a 250 was not big enough for the mts., "you need at least a 500 way up here at this altitude", like i was a brand new rider and also new to the mts.. i asked if they had a 250 in stock and the guy said "no". i asked if they had any 500's and he said "yes, we have several". hmmm... j

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was so excited to get my very first bike. I am a 37 year old female that has always wanted to ride. I finally got the courage up to get a little starter bike a Black Ninja 250 in May. So, I put my $300 deposit down after being promised I would receive my bike either the first week of June or the last week of June as they were doing me a favor by putting me on the list when another rider backed out.
I was not at all impressed with Wheels when I dealt with them. This is really interesting, however, because I put down a deposit of $200 mid-May and got my bike (blue) mid-June. I wonder why your deposit was different?

You can actually read my story here: http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=112585

I took my bike to Wheels for its 600-mile maintenance, but I doubt I'll be going back there again. If you can, work with U-Motors in town and they should be able to facilitate getting a 250R for you from their Fergus Falls store... hopefully.

Good luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts

I personally called every dealer in Indiana, (according to superpages and yellowpages). No body had one except Chicago Cycle, they had three, 2 sold the 1st day. Most wanted me to put a 500-1000 dollar down payment on a 09' and will arrive near spring 09' screw that. I got mine used for 3,800 and 800 miles, and it had a brand new Jardine exhaust and 15t sprocket. So really, I paid a little under 3,500 for the bike and paid 350 for the exhaust and sprocket. I wont even mention the tank pad, the 1st service was already done, and the 2 year transferable warranty (400 some off dollar value)

Look around used, most of the time you can find a 08' 250R still new enough to not know the diffrence in used/new (800-2000 miles)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually went to Michigan to get one (From Wiscsonsin). The dealer was great they had about 5 in stock and I got the one I wanted. They called me with the vin number and everything. How bad do you want one? You can find them if you really really want one. I would definitely get your money back and look elsewhere. I had put money down somewhere else and they scammed me, I put a deposit down and then no bike, I told them that my lawyer was getting involved and then all of a sudden here comes my deposit back, after two weeks of the runaround. What I am saying is that you can find a bike if you really want to and whatever you do don't let these dealerships push you around, It's your money and nobody has the right to mess with it. The bike may only be a 250 but how about your next bike??? or maybe the referrals that come with good service?? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Saw one sitting on the floor this week in, I think, Joliet, IL. Other than that, the few people I have known that have gone through dealers in MI have all had a positive experience. Sorry that your dealer isn't as good. Don't turn off to the kawi brand because of a bad dealer. And these bikes are in high demand, so for some dealers, it seems they are hard to get a hold of.

Reactions: jellero
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.