Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the filter located, and whats the easiest way to get to it????? What parts do I need to buy?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The easy way is to take off the left fairing and it will be right there. Be careful of the plastic rivots underneath holding the fairings together. I broke some of mine and they're still on B/O (5 weeks). If your looking for a a K&N oil filter, I believe the part # is KN-303 (forgot what the Fram # is). Do a search for it on here.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Parts? Say 4 litres of oil of your choice, an oil filter, and possibly a tool to help remove the filter if you don't have one (and a socket set). You can use the handy oil filter wrench socket attachments the dealer usually sells, or a regular filter wrench, or a boa-constrictor type of tool. It's pretty straightforward. You'll also need a shallow bucket to slide under the bike, or an oil pan designed for the job.

And mred's right, just remove the fairing screws holding the left lower fairing and the four black pop-rivets underneath the bike and the small screws holding the upper fairing to the lower. You can see the filter just looking in the front of the fairing if you really aren't sure where it is.

Good for you anyway for asking the questions and tackling the job yourself. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
How do you guys remove those rivets down there? It looks like the only way is to break them! When I changed my oil I took off the entire fairing as one piece. Pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Again, try a search... but you push the middle "pin" in the circle up with a screwdriver or something, then it releases the pressure holding the whole piece in place and you can remove it with your fingers. I find they dry up though fairly quickly and sometimes breaking them is inevitable.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 2 cents. I ride with a buddy that works at a dealership and he gave me a good tip that they use there. He gets a piece of cardboard and folds it in half then opens it again just to make a crease in it then he slides it under the oil filter with the fairings still on. It makes a kinda ramp to the open hole under the fairings you put your pan under there and taaa daaa you don't have to mess with the fairings. Just remove the old filter and let the oil drip out on the card board it will run down the cardboard and into your pan. I do this every time and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah, but with that method you really can't get every last drop of the old oil out. I'm not sure about that one. Sometimes the oil runs hot (which is how you should do it, I think... or warm at least) and that can seep through the cardboard, don't you think?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love this site...but sometimes Iam afraid of some of the posts I see..."I can't get the fairing off" damn dude...sorry but please don't ride around me...WOW

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love this site...but sometimes Iam afraid of some of the posts I see..."I can't get the fairing off" damn dude...sorry but please don't ride around me...WOW

·
Registered
238 Posts
How can you get more oil out of the bike with the fairing off as opposed to my method of leaving it on? No problem I'm just tryin to help out I'm telling you how the dealer does it here and how I have been doing it for the past 3 years and no problems. As for the hot oil I guess your right it would cool off faster with the left fairing off for a couple of min before you take the filter off.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by Blue636
How do you guys remove those rivets down there? It looks like the only way is to break them! When I changed my oil I took off the entire fairing as one piece. Pain in the ass.
What DJ said. But I've noticed on 2 of mine, they actually had threads and screwed out but I think after initially releasing the pressure. After one time, they will just strip. When I took my bike to my suspension guy, he had an extra one from a Yamaha. They are a whole lot better and will las longer, or you can replace them with D'Zus fasteners. I think these are the ones mentioned in an earlier thread. Call them to verify.http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/product-sub3.asp?id=573

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just put a plastic bag in the bottom of the fairing with seems to catch all of the oil from the filter with no issues. The only tricky part is getting the filter off.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My argument is this though guys... is it really that hard and time-consuming to remove the left side fairing ??? I usually look forward to the excuse to remove the fairings in order to clean them up well and do a full general maintenance (check nuts and bolts, wires, etc) on the bike. It's good to spend time INSIDE the bike as well as ON it... has to do with feeling good about your bike and the condition it's in, and trusting it 100% when you're out riding. To each their own. I'll spend the extra 2 minutes removing a fairing...

·
Registered
363 Posts
O.K. for oil filter removal here is what you need, one sharp flat head screwdriver. Just slam that sucker straight through the middle of the filter and use it to twist it off. The filters are really soft and it will only take a tap to send a flathead straight through. I have used this method in my cars and bikes scince I was 15 it works great as long as you dont plan on using the filter again.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Funny S#%T

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks dtmsurf, but i didnt do it ur way cus i didnt get to see ur post until now. i will try ur way next time thou for sure! it sees a lot easier. i bent that POS filter with a huge set of plyers until i could pull if off (but dont worry i didnt). lol...thanks thou

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The next time you put a filter on, dip your finger in the oil and rub it around the gasket before installing. There is no reason you have to go through that. The only time my oil filter gets stuck is when a new vehicle comes home with me from the show room floor.

Or you could opt for the K&N oil filter. You can use a socket wrench on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I heard the K&N oil filters aren't as good as the original ones (FRAM). Something to do with power and if you use the K&N, there is a loss. What are your inputs to this factor people?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.