Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am going around a long turn at a very fast rate of speed I always lean off the bike into the turn. If I'm going around a sharp curve I seam to always push my bike down and lean the opposite way or out.
When do you guys lean this way instead of leaning into the turn?
I noticed that if you lean out of the turn and push the bike down the angle of the bike is closer to the ground and easier to scrap stuff. But I think this way of leaning is a little bit more fun.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You best hope you don't run over some sand or something else that'll make you lose grip - you'd be on your ass in no time riding with that sort of style. Granted it might look cool with the bike reet all the way over, but there's little chance you'd be able to save a slide pushing on the front that hard.

Best advice would be to keep your head down :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
TB-
Get ahold of the Oct '03 issue of SportRider. Riding Position: (Street & Track) on page 98 might be an article for you. ...body should be centered on the seat, w/your torso in-line w/the bike. Alway keep you head tilted to match the horizon, and use knees and abs muscles to put as little weight as possible on the clip ons... using trunk muscles to support your torso will reduce body's effect on the front suspension & steering... And so on.

SR riding tips visit: www.sportrider.com/ride

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You should only lean out when going very slowly and require a sharp slow turn.

At speed, you should always be on the inside and off the seat (how far depends on your speed). This, along with putting your weight on the inside peg, lowers your center of gravity and will help plant the tires.

If you happen along something like sand or the tires just let go, you don't want to be on the outside. Can you say instant highside? Being on the inside and low will let the bike slide until it regains traction, and you'll be on your way. Or, at the worst, it'll let go and you'll lowside.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yes I forgot to mention - for U-Turns sit on the opposite side of the seat from where you're leaning. Makes busting a U-ie a hellova lot easier. :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
What they said, only more concise:D (and with the language skills of a 5-year-old)

Going really slow and turning lots, leaning outwards.
Going fast, leaning inwards.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
also, look where you want to go. no matter what style you might have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.