Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually start my bike put my cover in the garage, put on helmet, glasses, strap helmet, zip jacket, gloves and then i'm off.
I do keep the revs low for around a mile after that.
But the question is when is the bike offically "warmed up"?
Is there a temp range?
Also in the manual it says to run it for a minute or two even if it is warm and only was off for a minute so the oil can circulate.

·
Registered
950 Posts
When I first start her up, I wait for the temp. guage to read a temp. I think it comes on somewhere around 103. I'll go then and take it easy until it gets to 130 or so. When it's warmed up and I start it, I wait a few seconds and then go without regard. That clutch/engine didn't drain ALL the oil down that it would hurt by not waiting a minute or two. As far as an official "warmed up" I think it would be in the 130-140 area. In the cold it sometimes doesn't warm up past that so it could be around there.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
yeah when i see 140 I'm off, but i don't murder the engine till i get to 180, then it's redline adventures

·
Registered
138 Posts
My kawi seems to take alot longer to warm up than my yamaha, but then again it takes longer to overheat too lol. but i wait til i see 130-140 b4 i take off. or if i have impatient riders with me i take it easy until bout 160.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Remember that it's not always about the temp but rather how long the engine's been idling for the oil to cover all the moving parts well. So if it's a warm day and you were riding and stopped with the engine at 200 degrees and 15 minutes later, went to start her and the temp was 180 still, I wouldn't run her hard.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I let mine hit 130 before I even pull out of my parking space. Even on a hit day, it still takes 2 or 3 minutes to hit 130.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You wait until 180, heck there are nights I ride on the highway that I never even see 175 much less 180.

I start it up, let it run until I at least see 104 on the gauge then go if I need to. Do you all realize how much oil pressure that is pumping oil through out the system. If the engine had to "wait" until 130 to get enough lubrication then I am sure we would ahve much larger things to worry about on these bikes then like scorched bearings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey sneaky what routes do you take in the City? My friends and I ususally ride to Riverwind, LuckyStar, Eishens and I-240. We basically ran out of places to ride to. We are going to make a trip out to the Frontier City Warehouses this weekend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I start it up, back it out of the garage. Get helmet on, hop on and back down the driveway and I'm off. Stay under 4000 rpm til it hits 130°.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Warm up? I do wheelies when I turn the key, yo ;)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I wait if im in a rush till it reads 104 but usually I wait till I see 120 then I take off and take it easy for a few min until she's up to 140+

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.