Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I topped off my gas tank yesterday and today with 108 miles on it the bike sputted out and stalled on me. I pulled over because I wasn't really sure which way to turn the switch to get it to reserve, it was set up different than my other bike.

Anyways, it took 3.4 gallons or so at 108 miles.... thats not quite the mileage I was hoping for. I did let it warm up a while while I was getting gear on, but I haven't been riding it that hard. 10 bucks every 100 miles isn't the best I was hoping for.

·
Registered
399 Posts
when i can feel that my bike is about to run out of gas i release the throttle pull in the clutch a switch it, then get the gas flowin again and im off for another 10 15 miles. you can do if yer quick and keep the bike runnin

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to keep my 6e running when switching to reserve, although I would rather not let it get that low in the first place. My 6e switch was a pain in the ass to turn while in flight on the 6e, but now that I know which way to turn it on the 9r it's going to be much easier to do.

3.4 gallons in 108 miles is just about exactly 30 mpg? A lot of reviews said it can get in the 40's! I wasn't being that hard on the gas except for short bursts here and there...

The true way to test it is to fill it up, go for a ride and fill it up again. The cold weather engine warm up, plus the choke at the start causes it to be less economic than if I used an entire tank while the bike was hot. I wasn't expecting for it to sputter so fast... I was about a half mile from the gas station I was goign to to top it off anyways.

It eats more gas with the micron pipe?

Isn't it not quite the best thing to let the engine begin to starve and then switch to reserve? I usually like to fill it up before it gets there, or if I am stopped somewhere and starting to ride again when it is almost to reserve, I switch it there before hand.

How many gallons is the reserve? 1.2 or so?

·
Registered
27 Posts
3.6 usually gets me 160 or better...as high as 180 before reserve. the worst mileage ever was 36pmg ad that was dels gap and surrounding twisties...HIGH REVS.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well why the hell did I get such bad mileage.... I remember seeing in some review that it should go to around 160 or something before reserve. Hopefully it just burned more gas because I let it warm up a few minutes when it was cold each time I started it?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
my '02 9r routinely has to go on reserve at 120-125 miles, depending on how I'm riding. Highway riding gets me to about 130 or so, if I keep it under 90. I always fill the tank just above the lip in the filler neck (an extra 1/4 gallon easily if you're careful).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow! Mine always made it to 160 miles with a +2 rear sprocket. Now I have a SpeedoHealer, but also back to stock sprocket, so it's a bit messed up but still shows about 140 miles until reserve. Then I flip to reserve and ride for another 15-20 miles because I hate stopping just for a few gallons.

Maybe it'll change when I get the jetkit in, but it shouldn't change too much.

Are you sure you're filling it up until the gas is level with the lower 'ring' of the tank? I have to pull the gas pump nozzle almost all the way out of the tank so it doesn't automatically shut off so I can fill the tank all the way (just to the point where it says something about "don't fill beyond this point").

·
Registered
171 Posts
99 zx-9, jetkit and exhaust, i have to switch on reserve at about 120-135. thats when it starts to stall, i just switch it while driving, no need to pull over. no matter how i ride i have never ran out of gas prior to 155miles. i havnt tried to go much passed that tho.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I usually top mine off with gas just at the opening on top of the tank. I usually get 150-160 on mine until i get the hesitation, then switch over to the reserve. 108 thats a bit odd to me-- fill it up till you see gas LEVEL with the gas tank opening and recheck mileage-- sounds like your 'full' is maybe different than mine- just try it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont know about the newer 9's but my 94 leans over really far when on the kick stand, I have to fill up on the bike to get a full tank if I dont I lose about 1/2 gal Its been a while since ihave been on mine but I was averaging about 180-190 a tank riding easy about 150 if i was gettin on it

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I watch the gas going in the entire time and fill it up to the narrow top of the tank where it would otherwise turn off if I put the pump INTO the tank. I don't remember now whether it was on the kickstand... I think it was because I'm almost sure I wasn't sitting on it.

It seems that nearly everyone is getting better mileage than me. I will get a much more accurate reading when i have the time to go through an entire tank in a couple of hours without stopping much/letting the engine cool down etc. Thanks for the info.

Also, everyone uses the highest octane possible right? 91?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.