Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I went to the dunes near Yuma. For those that are not aware, this is the first "official" big weekend of the season. So my brother and I packed up our bikes and headed down for 3 days of riding and having fun.

On big weekends they have the "Sand Drags" which is about as sanctioned as the L.A. Riots. Basically everyone and their cousin, just keeps ripping down this 1/4 - 1/2 mile stretch as fast as they can and there are really no rules. Though things have setteled down over the last few years now that the BLM watches things more closely, it is still for the most part, a free for all.

Though I dont usually go more than once or twice around, this weekend I felt like really tearing it up. I had been racing all day and decided to go back ~4 which is when things really start getting good.

I had also brough a video camera with me, so I gave that to my Brother and went out to go around a few times.

Now there are two ways you can race this mess. The first is a starting line of sorts which is just a big hill that has been built up in the sand, that everyone starts from. The second is to hit that hill about 2-3 gear after starting back a little further and get some nice air before you start your run. I opted for the latter.

After about 5-6 time around I decided I would do one more. I had been pulling up 3rd and 4th gear wheelies down the strip and this time I decided to try 5th. This is where things get a little fuzzy...

After I set the bike down, I went into a little head shake, which turned into a full on slapper. I was pinned in 5th and that equals about 75mph. I recovered it and that is the last thing I remember. I am told that after I recovered, it started over again and chucked my ass. Both the bike and I flipped a number of times and I ended up about 40ft from it. At the time I didn't realize that I had been knocked out and somehow it didnt click with me that a dozen people who were standing around me didnt just come from nowhere. I am told I was out for about a minute. Though my brother didnt get any of this on video, or even see it. He did get all the paramedics coming to see me, about 6 trucks worth.

They checked me out and didn't think I had a concussion, however I will probably go to the hospital after work because my headache keeps getting worse and worse. I cracked my helmet, am fairly certain I sprained my wrist, tore up my shoulder and bit a hole in my top lip. On the whole, I am very fortunate. I am told that someone else had a similar expierience elsewhere in the dunes over the weekend and was run over by a sandrail and killed.

This by the way is not out of the ordinary. It is not unusual for someone to die on a big weekend down there.

I guess my question is this, when do you say "Ok thats enough"? I have cracked my ribs, torn my rotator cuff, sprained my ankle, been knocked out at least twice, sprained my knee, cut and bruised myself everywhere I can think of and many other assorted things. At what point do you just move on to something else that might not kill you?

Even yesterday I got back on my goofed up bike and rode some more. Its an addiction, but like AA says the best way not to have your 10th drink is not to have the first one. Has anyone else pondered similar things?

Squidly

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you stop riding when you're afraid to...that's not me though. i guess when people fear for your safety more than usual and you really care how afraid they are for you...it's all about your priorities...it's really up to the individual

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
glad to hear you're moderately ok. get better soon man

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'll stop riding when the fear outweights the fun I have.

There is alot you can do to minimize getting hurt on a bike? Doing wheelies is not the safest thing to do for example ;)

As with anything you do, there is risk associated with it. You have to assume some risk just getting out of bed each morning. It's life I suppose.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well if makes you feel any better your not the only one.

I posted a story a couple months ago about wrecking my dirt bike and getting a minor concussion and had some mean road rash and some bad burns(the bike landed on me). Well I just got through spending Sunday in the hospital with a shattered tail bone and a dislocated pinky finger. The finger is no big deal but for any of those who have broken your tailbone you know what i mena when i say it's uncomfortable.

It all happened jumping a nice little maybe 8ft table top when i goosed thethrottle to hard and the bike came out from under neath me and i landed at a funny angle on my ass and hand. Just another injury to add to the list.

Injuries aquired from motocross;

1st wreck: Broken arm, dislocated shoulder and broken ankle.
2nd wreck: Broken colar bone(ouch)
3rd wreck: Minor cuncussion, some 2nd degree burns, and some stitches
and the 4th and final: Broken tailbone and dislocated pinky.

And needless to say my dumb ass will be back in the sadle asap.

I have three loves in my life- My son, My family and my motorcycles. I guess it's something I'll never grow away from.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
that would make me stop riding for a while, but i love riding that sooner or later i would get back one. ride hard, but safe;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of "when is enough, enough?.... to stop riding that is. I think it's a matter of changing the type of riding. I know many of the older riders who now ride couch bikes, but in their younger days swore that they never would!! If your injuries and pain, more than fear, out way your willingness to ride or suffer the consequences for riding the way you do, then at that time I say change your style or type of riding, but you never have to stop!!! I say ride forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe you should stay away from the dirt, be more conservative when on the dirt, or just stay away from such large events?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think its motorcycling that should be your concern, rather your attitude to it... I don't mean that in a negative way.

Motorcycling is by nature a high-risk activity, but it can be managed by riding defensively. If riding isn't worthwhile to you unless you're pushing the envelope in uncontrolled situations, then yes, you should probably consider quitting, and buy a track-only bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think its motorcycling that should be your concern, rather your attitude to it... I don't mean that in a negative way.

Motorcycling is by nature a high-risk activity, but it can be managed by riding defensively. If riding isn't worthwhile to you unless you're pushing the envelope in uncontrolled situations, then yes, you should probably consider quitting, and buy a track-only bike.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the responses, many good points made here. While I do agree that pulling wheelies over less than perfect terrain at the highest possible speed is really fuckin dumb, unfortunately given the nature of the sport injuries can get you any time, doing something stupid or not. DMan made the point about a pretty simply jump turning into something far more just from one little screw up. Last year I blew up the bottom end in my bike, knocked myself out, cracked 3 ribs and totalled my gear. What was I doing, just putt'in really. I dont think I was even out of third and was climbing a hill that turned out to be too soft, burried the back tire and went over backwards. You never really know.

As far as the pain angle goes, I dont really care all that much. I have a fairly constant pain in my shoulder from a previous injury and its never really kept me from riding, even when the doctor told me to stay off the bike.

SOSMC made the point about older riders switching to couch bikes when they swore they never would. In the offroad world, that equates to quads, on which I am very outspoken on letting everyone know they are for pussies. On the other hand, everyone that I know that rides a quad gets tossed about a 1/10th the amount of times that I do. I have ridden them though and it just doesnt get the blood working like a bike does, but as opposed to not riding at all however......

I like to think I have the right attitude, that being that I realize that injuries can occur, but I dont ride scarred. I guess I really need to look at my motivations though and see why I do put up with all of the bad parts of the sport.

-Squidly [xx(]

·
Registered
446 Posts
There are a lot of things that I do on a daily basis that could end my life. I drive a car (and as close to Alabama as I am that is pretty dangerous) ride a motorcycle, smoke, and tell my wife to fuck off. Those things won't stop any time soon. I think that maybe you need to adjust how you do these things, not that your doing them.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I was almost killed (doctors told family I was as good as gone) in a motorcycle accident last year and I couldn't think of giving it up. I love this sport and this is truly what makes me happy. I never wanted to look back on my life and say I was stupid and gave up over a silly fear of what may happen. I was later told by the doctors that the first two things I wrote on a peice of paper were, "is my bike OK?" and "when can I ride again." Mind you this is all while in intensive care with a respirator on, a back brace, an external fixator holding my pelvis together, a fresh scar from neck surgery, tubes in my chest to drain fluid, and my right leg in traction.

I figure if knocking on death's door only to spend 3 months lying flat on my back and then having to learn to walk and move all over again can't stop me from riding, there's probably not much else that could.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
lol, you the man Ken. yea whenever i crash i always run for my bike (street once, dirt the rest of the time)

·
Registered
47 Posts
in australia people over 30 who ride motorbikes are the safest people on the roads, for their experience and the bikes ability to out menouvre cars so bikes can be safe. i guess when to quit is when your guts tell you to. personally im debating this myself want a car so i can get a fat stereo but love bikes because they make me feel so alive. i mean, i nearly got hit by a truck the other day, like i saw my tyres go under the front of the truck i had my ass that low to the ground. scared myself to death but once i got home it just excited me to think i was that close to death and surviving. call me strange but dont think i'll quit for a while. my best advice is to live life to the full and should you be unlucky enough to be taken hopefully you can look back and think your life was well worth living.
ps my "friend" says enough is enough when your dead so get your ass out there and ride. but then he rode my bike into a fence and then quit learning to ride. and he is a looser.
Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
It's curious that to most, the fear factor of riding a motorcycle, is what gives us the "thill and excitement" to ride in the first place then that same factor is what makes us stop. I guess it's all up to each and every one of us and how comfortable we feel seeking those thrills every time we put the key in that ignition.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i remember when i lowsided my bike, as I was sliding down the street, all I could think about was how much damage my bike was taking ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
damn squidly glad ur somewhat ok. im sure there is something out there that could poss. scare me away from mc's just hasnt happened yet. i hope it never will also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676
i remember when i lowsided my bike, as I was sliding down the street, all I could think about was how much damage my bike was taking ;)
LOL i hear that one.. been there....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.