Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering: 3rd ride, by the book, 600 miles ???
which is right or acceptable for a new motor?

[:p] '02 Green ZX-6R Limited Edition [:p]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm doing mine at about 75 miles, to clean out the initial metal burrs and so on that will have collected, then again around 500 miles or so. I'll switch to synthetic or semi-synth around 2500 miles.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yeah thats the best idea. They say most metal particles will come off within the first 75 miles. So I would do one at 75-100 then at 600. Both of those go with 10w40 NON synthetic regardless of climate or weather. After about 600-1000miles its a good idea to clean out the oil pan and strainer because those little metal bits tend to get magnetized and like to stick to the wall of the oil pan or something else metal. But 2 oil changes by 600 miles helps a lot. After at least 1800 miles on the engine you can switch to semi-synthitic. I would never go full synthetic though. It costs an arm and a leg, the clutch likes to slip with full, and all you might gain is what a half a second in a race?? not worth it for street use.

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just a thought, but you might want to make sure that when it comes to getting oil changes for this baby, you need to call ahead and make sure that you can get a filter. Supposedly, from two different Kawi dealerships, they neither one had a filter in for it, because the bike has a new size filter that no other bike uses. Might want to call ahead and have it before you do any serious riding. Just a thought.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.