Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. We've been having incredible weather in the south east so I parked my car.

I've been riding on the road for ten years and I feel like I need a definitive answer on this.

When you're riding, and you come up on a bike. I usually stop like as if we were in formation and be like off to the side, when we take off... I stay like .... 3-5 car lengths behind. Then it never fails... the guy takes off like a bullet.

IT HHAPPENS EVERY TIME.

What the deuce?

Why not just ride. Maintain formation, look out for each other.

Is there a mandate I'm not keen to?

I pointed out I've been riding for a while to emphasize how often his happens. No silly shit. I'm in gear, no squiddy stuff.

I watched a guy in a katana... pull up past me, then goes so fast that when the car in front stopped he wasn't ready and locked up that beast.

Why? What gives.

You're riding, some guy pulls sufficiently behind you off to the side and rides along. What do YOU do. It seems to happen along regular streets, highway. I'm beginning to think it's me but I'm curious about the status quo.

·
Pursebully
37,528 Posts

I've been riding on the road for ten years and I feel like I need a definitive answer on this.

When you're riding, and you come up on a bike. I usually stop like as if we were in formation and be like off to the side, when we take off... I stay like .... 3-5 car lengths behind. Then it never fails... the guy takes off like a bullet.

IT HHAPPENS EVERY TIME.

What the deuce?

I pointed out I've been riding for a while to emphasize how often his happens. No silly shit. I'm in gear, no squiddy stuff.

I watched a guy in a katana... pull up past me, then goes so fast that when the car in front stopped he wasn't ready and locked up that beast.

Why? What gives.

You're riding, some guy pulls sufficiently behind you off to the side and rides along. What do YOU do. It seems to happen along regular streets, highway. I'm beginning to think it's me but I'm curious about the status quo.

It's never happened to me and I've got close to 25 years of street riding experience. I've never ridden in Jersey though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ive only rode for a yr and a half now n ive only had this happen to me once.. N i just assumed he wanted to show me how fast he was..

I assume when ppl do things like this its just to show off.. They see another biker n think they have to look cool..

I notice alot of us on here dont ride to look cool.. To be a "badass" or for anyones acceptance.. But watching some of the videos of the large group rides it has shown me we are out numbered! Far too many people ride for all the wrong reasons..

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Not sure whats up with your area, around here people are pretty good at formations with random people.
Same thing around here. I just scope out the other rider(s) and mind my business....but, I wont bullshit, if some random fool pulls up beside me bouncing off the rev limiter, they get their feelings hurt if road conditions look "favorable".:D

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If you don't know me, do not ride right next to me like we are riding together. Keep the same distance as if we where in cars. I do not know you and do not want you up my ass. I do the same if I'm behind another bike.

If you're up my ass I'll speed off as well but if not I ignore you for the most part. The people that speed off when you are keeping your distance are probably just trying to show off.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
If you don't know me, do not ride right next to me like we are riding together. Keep the same distance as if we where in cars. I do not know you and do not want you up my ass. I do the same if I'm behind another bike.

+1

Just because we are both on motorcycles does not automatically make you my friend or even acquaintance.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I usually just ride behind the other rider in domino formation and enjoy the other bikes company, if they are riding to slow or too fast fuck them, but if I have somewhere to be quickly then I don't care I'll ride right pass them

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If you're up my ass I'll speed off as well but if not I ignore you for the most part. The people that speed off when you are keeping your distance are probably just trying to show off.
They are....

I recall a day I was on the parkway (4 lane highway)

Traffic up the balls. I come up behind a guy in a touring bike with full luggage and kid on the back.

So I think... cool... I'm sure we can maintain and whatever.

So i'm like 2-3 car lengths away and I see the guy scope me out in his mirror, then he starts dipping in and out leaning the shit out of that giant bike with the kid on the back holding on for dear life. I thought to myself.... holy crap this guy is gonna kill himself.

He seemed very intent on knowing where I was but I didn't follow behind him or anything. I wanted to live.

I understand not riding next to you in a formation.... thats a bit too close for an unknown person. but I'm telling you, these people are taking off, unsafely, for a reason I am really trying to figure out.

If a guy is to the rear and he wants to ride along I'm fine with that, I'm not going to go out of my way to display my motorcycle riding skills (or lack thereof)

I just laugh every time to myself and go.... WTF?

I love how some guys do it then I catch up to them at the light and the whole time I am just laughing hysterically. Guys with no gear on shitty junk almost hitting things. Perhaps someone with a proper machine and gear. Haven't run into many of those yet.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,505 Posts

IT HHAPPENS EVERY TIME.

What the deuce?

Why? What gives.

Jersey thing?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've done it once or twice, but only because the rider behind me was being an idiot. Popping wheelies, riding directly next to me, etc.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Is this a serious mystery? It's the simple fact that some people have to "show off". "My bike is fast (sport bikes), my bike is loud (cruisers)". Whatever. That's all it is. I just continue about my business. You go ahead and go get that ticket. Be my guest.

I waive to everyone for the most part, but I'm not going to get antsy in the pantsy just because I see another rider pull up near me or pass me. Like I said, some people just have an uncontrollable urge to try to show off.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
If I'm on my sport bike on the twisties and another one comes up behind me, I tend tpo up my pace a little bit because I'm just assuming he wants to go a little faster and I do it out of a courtesy. If he stays with me for a while at a pace faster then I really want to go I'll just flag them by, I dont go all MotoGP wanna be lol.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If I'm on my sport bike on the twisties and another one comes up behind me, I tend tpo up my pace a little bit because I'm just assuming he wants to go a little faster and I do it out of a courtesy. If he stays with me for a while at a pace faster then I really want to go I'll just flag them by, I dont go all MotoGP wanna be lol.
Same here. If its still in.my comfort zone i will push a little harder. But mostly i let them pass. I always wonder what's around the next corner when they pass though

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts