Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had them on for about 4k miles. do you think i should change them now? I can feel that the breaks have been getting low, but i dont want them to get so low that they warp the rotors.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unless youre doing laps around the track, there should be no reason for your pads to need replacement that early...Read a few posts down and see this guy who has 15,000 km with no problem. But then again I'm not starring at your pads,so possibly if you ride really agressive on the brakes or I suppose weather conditions killing your pads

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know how hard you use the brakes but, if you are concerned you need to measure the thickness of your pads to make sure that they are within spec. According to the service manual they should be replaced when they get near 1mm of pad thickness.I have 12k miles on my RR and still have the factory pads in. I used to ride a lot on the street but, only do 1/4 mile and soon trackdays. I am going to replace the pads within a few weeks with some Vesrahs to give me some extra bite and feel for a track school in Daytona in October.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do alot of riding on the street, so they tend to get used to make quick stops at stoplights alot more then anything. ? i dont know, should i just leave them and bleed the breaks to get them a little stiffer?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by slam150
i do alot of riding on the street, so they tend to get used to make quick stops at stoplights alot more then anything. ? i dont know, should i just leave them and bleed the breaks to get them a little stiffer?

Check them. Hell, just eyeball them by looking in the crack where they are, you'll at least get a general idea of how thick or thin they are. Nobody can tell you if you need them, even if they know your mileage, driving style, location, etc.

I can tell you my 'cane with over 120k miles is only on its 3rd set (which are almost worn out,) but I've known folks that run the piss out of their bikes need a new set every year.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There should be a wear indicator (slotted) running down the pad, you may have to remove the pad to check it.
While the pads are off why not clean them and the calipers so they remain in top condition.
Dont put copper ease on the pistons as this will bloat the rubber seals. Use only red rubber grease if you feel its required.
You can change the brake fliud as often as you want but certainly within two years.
Why not fit braided lines if its a braking improvement your after.
Ive got over 5000 miles on my set with plenty of pad left on them, but will differ from one rider to another.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Originally posted by slam150
I do a lot of city street riding and the front pads are only half worn at 28000kms. If you want a stiffer feel fit braided lines or maybe move the lever adjustment out. I do this for my two finger braking.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I HAVE The steel braided break lines, and i have the crg levers to move out for a stiffer feeling.

maby i will bleed the lines agian.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Changing pads really isnt going to change the feel of the lever much, if your having issues with a mushy feeling lever i doubt its the pads. Different pads can bite more for sure but it still wont change the lever feel a whole lot.. I would definatly be trying to re-bleed the system as they are hard to bleed because of line orientation(vertical). Try a few types of bleeding techniques too, not just the traditional pump and hold... Reverse bleeding has worked best for me as air wants to travel up all the time, why not use it to your advantage?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.