Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 700 mile service done, I'm coming up on 3200 miles, should I just get the oil changed at 4000 miles, or now? Please help me out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
NOW. I changed mine at 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 and getting ready to hit the 6000 mile change. I like to change several times when the bike is new just for good measure and then every 2000 miles after that.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
OMG dman...hope you buy really cheap oil....seems like overkill to me...

i change mine right after winter storgae and then every 3000 miles...

so i end up chaning my oil like 3 times during riding season here in PA...assumming i put 6000 miles per season...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I change mine every 2000 unless I ride it real hard or in really hot conditions then I will change it at 1500. Oil is cheap when you think about long term engine wear.
Oh, you should definately change it yourself, save a ton of cash.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
of course change it yourself. it's so easy, don't even need a manual. plus then u get to know your bike more

·
Registered
534 Posts
I changed mine at 50/150/350/500 out of pure boredom [:eek:)] I currently have 678mi on the bike. I wish I could ride it more often other than on the weekends. I have to pick up my youngest bro on my way to work and drop him off to school. 1st best mod I have is the scotts filter VERY WORTH IT; especially at the rate I changed oil [:p] Even at 500mi, I picked up some metal shaving in the filter and some caught by the magnetic oil drain plug and the magnet on the scotts filter. I plan on changing oil again at 800mi. I get my oil for free from my Dad's working place so Its not a big deal for me to cure my boredom.[^] I do the same with my Race car, before every drag race, I change out to oil. To my belief, clean oil is the best oil...no matter what brand (sometimes)[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You should likely do your first change NOW to get rid of any shavings / particles that are in the oil associated with break in of a new engine. Even the manual calls for first oil change at 600 miles, but most mechanical / break in articles recommend even earlier. I personally went for 300 / 1000 / 1600 / 3000 and went to full synthetic at 3000 miles, now I'm going to be going at roughly 1,500-2,000 mile intervals.

I don't consider oil changes "expensive" since my baby deserves some pampering in terms of maintenance since I am so hard on it while riding ;).

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Page 83 of your manual recommends changing your oil and filter at least once a year. Otherwise at mileages 600, 7,500, 15,000, 24,000 amd so on. Your drain plug should be torqued to 29nm and the oil filter goes out to 31nm. If you're hard on your motor, do it up more frequently.

Personally, I change the oil a hellova lot more frequently. Once every 1,500 miles MAX or for every two track days/race weekends. After over 10,000 not-so-easy on the throttle miles I pulled the valve cover off to find absolutely NO witness marks on any of the cam lobes. Thank you Mobil 1 MX4T.

It's an eight thousand dollar motorcycle, treat it like one!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676
OMG dman...hope you buy really cheap oil....seems like overkill to me...

i change mine right after winter storgae and then every 3000 miles...

so i end up chaning my oil like 3 times during riding season here in PA...assumming i put 6000 miles per season...

No cheap oil just get bored sometimes and like to work on my bike...plus it can't be a bad thing so why not!:D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
By the way on my oil change the guys at the store put Castrol ACT>EVO SAE 10W40 semisynthetic into it. Is it ok or should I change to another one? Bike is '01 and has 12000 km's on it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thats fine, I run spectro semi synthetic with 2800mi. on the clock. But next time dont let someone else turn bolts on your bike unless you absolutely have to.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by dtmsurf
Thats fine, I run spectro semi synthetic with 2800mi. on the clock. But next time dont let someone else turn bolts on your bike unless you absolutely have to.
Yeah but a 12000 k inspection with all these valve clearance stuff etc. is better for a shop with experience. I have no idea about carbs etc. so no playing around. I better spend my time on riding.
Thus having no tools etc. it's better to have someone doing it for you IMHO.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think you can actually change your oil too often. I think after the first 600 miles and then maybe a 2000 but i dont know about every 500 or even thousand miles. You probably get more dirt and debris in your engine when changing it that frequently than by letting it go for at least 3000 miles, which the oil you run in your engine is made for nearly twice that amount of time and miles anyway. And after that initial 600 mile breakin period(on a brand new bike) there arent going to be much metal IF ANY AT ALL in your oil after that, Plus, these bike engines have been run before you even start them up on a brand new bike, so personally, after the first 600 miles I would start changing it every 3000, but thats me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.