Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new zx6r from my local kawi dealership this winter. I chose winter because in my area the prices drop during the winter. Anyhow, I have been told to go in a few days before christmas and they will be more likely to go easier on the price (due to them trying to make sales qoutas and to try to get rid of the 06 models) Does this sound right? Is there a better time I should try to buy one?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Eh, I don;t think seasonal prices change as much as they used too. It's more about when the new models come out. Sure, the sticker prices might be a tad lower in the winter, but the low price of the dealer is the same. For example, the dealer can take $7500 for the bike whether the sticker price is $8000 or $8500.
Forget about seasons, find a bike you like, make a reasonable offer and go from there. Winter is along way away, don;t wast 4 months of good riding weather.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i agree, is the couple hundred dollars savings worth missing out on a lot of riding?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Demand is certainly a lot lower in the winter depending on where you live. (It drops off some in Georgia, but I bet it REALLY drops off in colder states that get a lot more rain+snow+ice). You are likely to see a slight price drop on the previous year's models.. but only after that dealer has sold off the initial rush of the new-model inventories.

Bikes like the R6 and especially the GSXR sell out very quickly initally because of all the pro and amateur racers who need to get their bikes quickly in order to modify them and get used to them for racing season.... so a dealer might not need to drop the price on the '06 if he's already sold out of his '07 stock.

I would think that the best time to shop a dealership for a bike would be a month or so after it gets cold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The dealerships around here all just did price drops (about $800 off a 600cc and $1100 off litre bikes) but they are still over priced compared to places a couple hours away...There is little to choose from in terms of color, all the best colors have already gone... 07's can't be too far away now !!

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
The best way to buy new is to wait until a new model comes out, wait a few months after it's been readily available, then buy last year's model from the dealership. You still get a 0 miles bike with a warranty, and it'll be the cheapest you can find it. Seasons really only affect the used private market motorcycle price. I don't usually buy new anyway. You can pick up a good bike less than a year old for thousands off retail with an existing warranty in the private market, and I wrench on my own stuff, so I don't usually worry about warranties anyway.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by HDRydr2

Eh, I don;t think seasonal prices change as much as they used too. It's more about when the new models come out. Sure, the sticker prices might be a tad lower in the winter, but the low price of the dealer is the same. For example, the dealer can take $7500 for the bike whether the sticker price is $8000 or $8500.
Forget about seasons, find a bike you like, make a reasonable offer and go from there. Winter is along way away, don;t wast 4 months of good riding weather.
exactly, "go out and have fun" :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
^^^^[:++1]^^^^ I'm in new england. The prices drop after a season is over- late november, december up until end of february, then the bike sales starts to pick up, and it's harder to find a bike for a good deal.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I sell motorcycles... they cost the same anytime of the year. Just b/c it's winter doesn't mean dealerships purchase bikes for less. The salesman might be hungry for a sale but either way as long as you negociate well you'll still end up with the same deal. Except, buying it in winter it'll just sit there while you make payments on it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was talking to the dealer when I was buying my bike, and he said they sell the most in the winter around the holidays.... though a lot of that is women buying their husband a crusier and parents buying their kids dirtbikes.

Just go with a price in mind and what you want, and if they can't do it, go somewhere where they can.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Often, the best deal you can get on a new bike is on the "leftovers" from a previous year. Sometimes you can even find one two years out of date for a steal. This isn't always a bad thing; for example,
the 06 ZX10 has been "tamed" (in regard to power curve) and a factory steering damper added. Hell, I'd rather have the '05 brute and add a damper of my own choosing. This is just an example, not a condemnation of the '06 bike; but it's a really good bet if you found one of those 05's you'd save a good chunk of change.

And don't limit yourself to the local shops (esp. if you're an experienced rider or have a truck or trailer) - many forum members have gone hundreds of miles to pick up their dream bike/great deal.

ps. my '02 9r was a leftover in '04 - got a great deal on it.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.