Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously riding styles will effect this,

but how does one tell if there is enough tread left (I have stock Dunlops on an 02 with 3500 miles)or how many relatively easy street miles should you get before it's time to get new tires ??

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
On dry roads, it would be safe to use your tires until you have a very small amount of tread left in the middle of your tire. If you are riding aggressively, then you want to make sure you have adequate tread on both sides of the middle line of your tire. If you are riding on wet roads, it is imperative that you have sufficient tread in the center of your tire so water can be channeled properly. And, forget about aggressive riding on wet roads. I don't care how much tread you have on your tires, you are just asking for a lowside.;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Haynes Manual for ZX-6Rs suggests replacing tires when the tread depth at the center is less than 2mm, as measured with a depth gauge.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree with Tommy. I chang'em when I see the threat in the tire. Even sometimes a little before that, I get flat spots like crazy and it just pisses me off!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm pretty conservative, no wheelies or burn-outs (usually). I get about 5,000 from a rear and twice that on a front.

The tread doesn't really do anything for cornering grip in the dry so a bald tire will probably handle about as well as one with tread. Race tires don't usually have any tread. I think it is there mostly as a wear indicator and for wet riding.

I usually run my back tires until the tread is complete gone in the middle

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have 6,000 miles on my '03 and I still got another 2k left on my rear and another 3k left on my front.. Oh yeah I even had a bolt in my tires and used a plug to fix it, that was 1,500 miles ago. I still take her up to where the speedo says around 180MPH and that plug still won't go anywhere.

I attribute my slow tire wear to riding 90% of the time at night when the roads are much cooler, I also run 42PSI in the rear and 36PSI in the front, I also never do anything stupid like burn-outs (I guess I'm too cheap), and the only turns in south florida where I can get my lean on are on-ramps. But believe me I have no chicken strips at all.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I getting about 3500 hundred miles out of a tire. So far the only tires that I have run are the bto12ss and the sportech m-1. The m-1's are great awesome tire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yayyyy !! ! changing tires is one of my favorite times of owning a bike heh... not only coz i know im gettin some new kick ass rubber... but so i can smoke my old one til it pops! =) be sure to do this... i look at it as like proper tire disposal... smoke it til she pops man !! and you dont need a change til the cord starts to show... just dont ride too hard when theres cord showing (for obvious reasons)

and yea chefjb21 i love the M1's as well... about to order a set after seeing how nice they feel on my friends GSXR, other than the fact that they take a few seconds longer to heat up than most tires due to its design (the huge rubber patches take longer to warm up it seems) but once up to temp they feel great and maintain temp very well. do you run an M1 in the front also? if ya do howz it feel? the GSXR just had an M1 rear not the front... and im gonna try both front and rear M1's.... but if the fronts suck ill throw something else on there... thx

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I dunno how you guys are getting that kinda mileage outta the stock Battlax's.

Even without a track day on a set of rubber, I can never get more than 5,000 miles out of a rear, and WITH a track day or two in the mix? Forget about it, usually gone around 3-4,000 miles. Mebbe I'm spinning it up too much on hard launches or wheelying the thing, but no way could I EVER get the kinda mileage Tommy is talkin' about. Argh.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The m-1 on the front is a good tire, it has more tread groves then the oem tire so it a lil louder and has a lil more vibration but when it comes to sticking its GREAT!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I didn't have much of a choice. I replaced mine when I caught a bolt in the rear tire [xx(].

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by chefjb21

The m-1 on the front is a good tire, it has more tread groves then the oem tire so it a lil louder and has a lil more vibration but when it comes to sticking its GREAT!
ok sweet man, i care more about sticking thru a corner than i do a lil bit of noise, and a lil vibration at high speeds isnt too big a deal long as its not to the point of numbing yer hands... that sux

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yo DJ I'm with you on this one. I replaced the rear OEM tire on my 636 at 3800 and it was bad. I mean the thing had wires starting to come out of the tire. Maybe I ride to hard but i can eat through some tires quick. Ohh well as long as your having fun, right?[:p]

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by snotrocket
Obviously riding styles will effect this,

but how does one tell if there is enough tread left (I have stock Dunlops on an 02 with 3500 miles)or how many relatively easy street miles should you get before it's time to get new tires ??
Geee whizz I still have the orginals at 9320 miles Dunlop 207. Keeping the right air pressure and burnouts to a minimum helps. My pal has same bike and year, stiching is showing on his at 6K low tire pressure and burnouts of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[^] Ride Palomar Mountain - you might get 2K miles and it's time for new puppies. My 636 has 4100 miles on it - it's ready for the third set of tires. No burnouts, not sliding stops. Riding the twisties in Southern Calf grinds the sidewalls real fast.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Tyres actually have tread wear indicators moulded into them in the bottom of the tread grooves. Just look for some little bumps in the centre of the tyre and about halfway to the edges. They aren't in every groove, there's probably one set every 90 degrees. They show the minimum legal depth though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.