Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Josh - I bought my bike in Feb.. It was a used 02 with 5500 miles on it. I figured I couldn't ride, so I might as well take it apart. I checked the valves the way the service manual says to and found out they were well within specs. The dealer said that that was uncommon- after talking to several other people, I think the dealer is full of shit. I think the whole job only cost me a couple of hours and about 20 bucks for some gaskets that just made sense to replace when it was tore apart. Also, I have copies of the service manual on cd that I'll send you a copy for 6 bucks. E-mail at [email protected] if you want a copy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
damn, i guess mine need the valves adjusted huh? i got 9000 miles on my 02. i hate bringing it up to that 'stealership,' but i don't think i know that much about bikes to be able to do that much work to it. D'oh

·
Registered
20 Posts
the valve clearences need checking every 8000 miles.

i've just had mine done on my 6r J2 and i needed all 8 exhaust shims and 2 inlet shims.do not forget this service,it could cause serious damage to your engine.

i did the rest of the service myself.

not sure what your dealers charge you in the states/canada but mine charged me £100 to check the clearences and balance the carbs.
the only extra is the shims.
i had stripped the fairings and tank off and he came and collected the bike and returned it to me.all in it was £140 and then it cost me £5 for an oil filter,£30 for oil and £44 for 2 sets of front pads and about 7 hours of my time.but at least i know everything has been done and a bit more beside.

John

·
Registered
303 Posts
i dont know about the dealers your areas but the couple that we have hear have outragous prices for just simple maintence... I would not want to know what it costs to shim valves... get a manual and do the work yourself... the manual tells you everything you need to know..

yellow = fast

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
oh this is just great. I got 9300 miles on my 02, so do you think I have caused any engine damage? I'm not going to be able to get it fixed until the end of April, because I am flat broke. So will anoter 700 miles hurt it that much? And is checking the valves something I would have to specifically tell the dealer to do? I brought it up there about 4000 miles ago and every 2500 before that, so could they have checked them?

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" -Mark Twain

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
whew nevermind. i checked an old service reecipt from 5500 miles ago and it said they checked the valves. dodged that bullet huh?:D

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" -Mark Twain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.