Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Its a "simple" spring swap....if you've never done it, or don't think you are mechanically inclined it may not be simple.

Race Tech is a simple source for new springs...often times you need to make your own spacer.

You'll need a stiff spring for your size, and installing it on the cartridge without a compressor will be the hardest part....doable.

Check there website out, there is a spring rate calculator after you enter your bike: RT - Digital Product Search

...or call them...you can order direct from them either way.

New springs don't require new seals...but changing the other parts while you are at it is not that much work. OEM parts for bushings, wipers/seals are a safe bet.

· Registered
272 Posts
Sonic springs would be a far less expensive [email protected]$86 shipped ($79.95 plus shipping of about $6)

Fork seals I only use OEM, but some have had success with other seals.

At 250# you definately need stiffer springs, and any of the spring manufacturers have rate calculators for model specific fitment, racetech generally suggests a little too stiff in my opinion. ie if suggested is 1.089-don't buy the 1.1 instead get the 1.05 (your oem springs are likely less than a .80)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work as a technician full time on german cars, so I guess you can say im handy with tools. This would be my first time changing the fork seals and springs, so hopefully it stays "simple"

Basically, Ill be buying .95 kg/mm springs, and both fork seals. Is there anything else I should buy for something like this? Also, what weight oil should I use for the forks? Mine have been leaking for a while so ill be needing to add oil.

If im upgrading the front spring, I should do something about the rear spring as well... any suggestions on where to find one? Thanks again for the advice, Ive been working on cars for 15 years but im clueless on bikes.

· Registered
272 Posts
Fork oil should be 5w, and considering you will be completely disassembling and hopefully cleaning the entire forks-they will be bone dry. So yes you will need a liter (approx) of fork oil, personally I like the Maxima blue labeled fork oil but the green label works fine as well. (the brand is really only important if you are going to be doing viscosity changes etc for better tuning and nearly everyones 5w oor 10w is something entirely different (some 5w are thicker than some one elses 10w)

anyways, where you got the fork springs from likely will also sell shock springs.

seal driver is handy and nice (about $40) but not absolutely necessary (2" or 2.5" pvc pipe cut in half will work for limiited use, for under $2)

Fork spring compressor tool ($40 for the cheapo 3 hand model or $400 for a serious work unit) but you can again make one that will work for a few "one time" uses for under $10.00
Some contact brake cleaner to clean all the parts.
Bushings could be a wise investment-but you really con't know until you see them (about $30)

· Registered
272 Posts
FYI, .95 kg/mm is what I run and I weigh only 186#, 200# with all my gear...maybe your 96 has different geometry or something than my zzr or 09 zx6??

I would have expected you to be at 1.05 or atleast 1.0 for street use

· Registered
156 Posts
rear spring/shock

For the rear shock, I would suggest installing a rear shock from a 2001 zx6r,(picked it up for $25 bucks on ebay!!). The spring rate is much stiffer than the 95-97, I installed one in mine and love it!!. It will take some light modin to get it in, but worth it!!. I posted a link awhile back and show pic's, any questions just hit me up!!:D

· Registered
272 Posts
If an 01 zx6r shock will go on, then go for much newer and find an 08 zzr600 shock-they are all over ebay for cheap, with low miles . They will never be an ohlins, penske, works or elka but definately better than most any 15 year old stock shock.

What was the mod you had to do Luis? was the bottom mount too narrow--then the ZX6r shocks from 05-11 would likely bolt right up....

· Registered
156 Posts
:confused:not sure if any other years would fit the swingarm, it mite be possible. With this mod you must relocate the battery and cut out a portion of the the battery tray, also cut a piece off the frame just above where the shock sits. plus had to drill out the mounting bolt holes from 3/4 to 1/2 inch. took about two hours. but if newer ones fit i guess your gonna have to buy one and find out:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.