Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just disassembled and reassembled the tail section of my 2008 ZX-6R to remove the OEM muffler and replace it with a Chinese kit that uses a Yoshimura muffler. After I finished, I noticed that I have one part "left over". It must have fallen off whatever plastic body piece it was glued to within the tail section of the bike. I cannot figure out where it goes.

Guitar accessory Human body Rectangle Office ruler Font

Anyone out there know: Where in the tail of a 2008 ZX-6R does this 1/4"thick x 5" long piece of foam go?

Jim G

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, you mean on the right hand side extending forward under the seat? Near where the TWO bolts on the side panel are within an inch ir so of each other? Is the purpose anti-vibration?

Jim G

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one here knows where that piece of foam is supposed to go? I hate to have to disassemble the entire tail again to try to figure it out, as that would require removing a LHS black body panel, a RHS black body panel, the rider seat, the rear seat cowl, the body-coloured tail "fastback", and the LHS and RHS black tail fairings, and then looking for evidence of dried-up adhesive somewhere on one of the parts! I have had both the LHS black body panel and the RHS black body panel (that each extend under the driver seat) off, and see no evidence of dried adhesive.

Maybe I should take that foam piece in to my local dealership parts manager. He might possibly know where it goes . . .

Jim G

·
39,743 Posts
I'm sure someone knows, they just aren't reading this thread.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure someone knows, they just aren't reading this thread.
I sent an email to the service manager, whom I know well, at the local Kawasaki dealership, asking if he knows where the foam piece goes. The dealership is closed on Sundays and Mondays, but hopefully I'll hear back sometime this week.

Jim G

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zrphyr; Thanks for the suggestions! But, I replaced the current battery with a Lithium battery yesterday, and had to remove both those side panels to get the driver seat off to gain access to the battery. I checked everywhere on the inside of those panels, and could find no position where that piece of foam would fit. Then, I took off the big body-colored panel that covers the entire tail, under the passenger seat. Again, no spot that looked like the foam would fit, and no sign of foam adhesive residue anywhere either. The next step would have been to disassemble the 2 black half-pieces that fit under that body colored tail piece, but I did not have enough time to go further.

My local Kawasaki service manager also could not figure out where that foam piece went. He, like me, saw several foam pieces on the exploded parts diagrams, but those diagrams (a) don't show in enough detail where each foam piece goes, and (b) show only a "generic" foam shape, not the actual shape of each piece. I guess I will keep the piece of foam, and next time I have a good reason to disassemble that complex tail area, I'll look deeper.

Jim G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts