Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to run some seafoam through the bike. where is the vacuum hose?

let's stay on topic please. this is not a seafoam discussion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you put it directly into the engine via a vacuum line, it is easy to go overboard and put too much in. If your engine has 15,000 miles or so on it, I would just put it in the gas...
Some carbon build up is actually good for an "older" engine, because it can help plug the holes in the worn gaskets. If you put it in directly, you could break that carbon out and make the problem worse. Probably not, but you never know.

So, just put it in the damn gas tank. That way, it will help clean out everything, not just the cylinders. The lines, fuel filter, carbs, and engine will get a nice little clean from it. This really did not required a long drawn out explanation. If you did a little searching you would find that everyone just puts it in the gas :Damn:

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,795 Posts
Yeah the big "perk" to seafoam is it breaks down petroleum gumming in places like carburetor fuel bowls, jets, fuel lines, etc. It then is pulled through the carburetors INTO the intake stream where it sees the valves and all... By simply pulling some seafoam into the intake tract you only wind up cleaning the valves a tad and intake port and you bypass 99% of what seafoam will benefit. It's not like the seafoam breaks down stuff in the carburetor and is then used up by the time it finds its way into the intake stream.

It'd be like buying a really expensive frame and putting a finger painting done by a 4 year old in it. Sure the frame is awfully swell, but the whole focus is the friggin painting itself which still is a simple painting done by a 4 year old.

Edit:

Here's another way of looking at it. See the fuel bowl (that light blue liquid area)? You're adding seafoam to that point of the intake path by putting it in the fuel tank. By pouring it into a vacuum hose you're accomplishing the same thing, but putting the seafoam into the intake manifold and skipping all that fuelley goodness that seafoam will actually benefit.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
vex. you just don't get it man. you mechanical engineers think you know everything.
the shits not getting in the engine.

at all.

seafoam fail.

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,795 Posts
:Laughing rolling: :Laughing rolling: :Laughing rolling: :Laughing rolling:Thanks Whitey!

Maybe the OP is thinking about adding seafoam to the oil (thus getting IN to the engine and not into the cylinder)? You can add a bit of seafoam to oil to absorb moisture (especially handy if the oil is going to sit for an extended period of time). But pulling seafoam into a vacuum hose is kind of tricky to meter properly and has NO benefit over simply tossing it in your fuel tank.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
oh tj.
i know you had to pick up on the interwebz sarcasm.. it was so think and juicy it rivals any bacon your mom ever cooked for me after we got done making your brother.

you CAN add it to oil.. ya. i've seen it done to quiet lifters... and it works well.

but i just couldn't wrap my mind around his reply to what eman and i said.. that it won't get into the engine.
i gave up all hope after that.

in (ironically enough) BMW service, there is a drip-style container used to add cleaner to an intake plenum.. its got a small glass with an I.V. style drip thats needle valve controlled.

maybe thats what he was thinkin? i dunno. i have since stopped caring as well.

seafoam actually in the GAS ftw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i was planning on putting it in the gas anyway...

but what about pouring it directly on the carbs? i just wanted the best way of a deep cleanse without taking the carbs off/apart. bike is LOW miles, but sat for 8 months or so just want to make sure everything is clean. Rides beautifully without any issues, but thought this wouldnt hurt either.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
the shit is designed to go into the gas. when it mixes with the gas, it will not only clean all the circuits in the carbs and break down and dissolve any shit that may be present, but when it passes thru the carb, it will become atomized along with the gas and make it's way to the combustion chamber.

pouring it into the carb not only doesn't do shit for the carbs, but it is not atomized and will not burn nor will it compress..

put. it. in. the. fucking. gas. :)

you're a tinkerer.. i can tell. i live by a "if it ain't broke, don't fuck with it" sense.. no. seafoam will not hurt.. but why spend the time and money and risk me having an aneurysm over your post when you can simply bypass all the action of putting the stuff in and just.. ride. as long as you're riding, the carbs will stay clean. gas is thin. thus why it weighs less than water. takes 10 times less pressure to cut a material with gasoline than it does water.. so, when its flowing thru a carburator, it is "cutting" thru anything it can since it does that so well and easily. only when a varnish deposit forms should cleaning measures be taken.

i know what you're gonna say now..
preventative maintenance..
thats all well and good. yay for PM.. but. again. it's situational. a fuel system, while in use, should require no PM at all.. if so, maybe once a year at that.

now if you'll excuse me i must go fist vex's mother in anger.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bringing it back from the dead :)

I am buying some seafoam over the weekend and going to be adding it to the gas tank like many of you mentioned in the past. I bought some other shit that a friend of mine recommended and now sure how good it is vs seafoam. I've heard a lot of good things about seafoam but not much from

bike has 10500 on the dash right now and i dont think previous owner let bike see professional mechanics since he bought it so i guess it needs tune up, valve adjustments, carb cleaning, etc...
I guess i will start with seafoam and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't understand why it's so hard to answer someone's question. Last I checked none of you are paying for the seafoam or spending the time and energy to put it in the bike. I have the same question and am trying to find some help. If you have nothing helpful to say then dont post it. If someone wants to put seafoam through their vaccum lines help with their question or dont respond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts