Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to go pick up my new ninja today and the owner's friend had the key!!!!!!!! So now I have to wait on him to deliver the bike today. What am I to do? I'm dying here!!!! I need some Kawasaki.....ok phew. Tonight I'm going riding, rain or shine

·
Registered
913 Posts
jam a flathead screwdriver into the ignition, whatever it takes to ride!!!!!!!!!![:p]

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Originally posted by Chicagois2
cause he went to make me a copy....but the asshead forgot to come drop it off.
well hopfully you'll get it today. that rain should be done moved on outa there and more here by this afternoon [V]

what bike you getting?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Man...what a loser, he doesn't have the key code plate. [:p] Always always ALWAYS keep the key code plate you get with your bike in a safe place, and give it to the new owner, and make sure they know what it is. I had two copies of my key and the keyplate with my bike, and I lost one copy in the throws of a drunken birthday bash a few years back (no, I wasn't riding...the bike was tucked in for the night 30 miles from where I was the whole night, I just made the mistake of the habit I have of grabbing the key with the rest of my stuff in the morning and stuffing it in my key pocket)...anyway, about half way through the night I lost my pants, and then woke up somewhere else naked in a bed with a hot rich chick, and never found the key (or my pants) again. True story. She's the daughter of the owner of a particular chain of carpet stores.

Anyway, so I was down to one key, which I just randomly lost about a year later, so I took the key code plate to the dealer, and they cut me two new keys in 10 minutes for $12/per OTD. So...moral of the story, keep your key plates.

Oh, btw, this was with the Kawi key. If you lose a key to a Ducati, you're pretty much fucked.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YO DRAG
Umm Yeah I know about the Ducati's costing as much as possible for a new key. In the even of a replacement you're gonna need a new set of forks and triple tree, then a new speedo and stuff. Basically just replace every part of the bike that is in front of the key lol

So anyways, this key code thingy? How do I get that if he doesn't have one?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by RedNinja636
jam a flathead screwdriver into the ignition, whatever it takes to ride!!!!!!!!!![:p]
lol dont do that my buddy had a key made and it wouldnt work so my idiot friend decided to try the flat head idea.[B)]needless to say he had to get a new ignition.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by smittyzx6r

lol dont do that my buddy had a key made and it wouldnt work so my idiot friend decided to try the flat head idea.[B)]needless to say he had to get a new ignition.
haha what a dumbass. I wouldn't dare put a flathead in my bike. THAT'S WHAT THE CROOKS DO TO STEAL IT. Once that cylinder is broked I might as well have left the key in it at all times. There is no parking the bike, there is no lockin the bike.... so great no worry.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by Chicagois2
YO DRAG
Umm Yeah I know about the Ducati's costing as much as possible for a new key. In the even of a replacement you're gonna need a new set of forks and triple tree, then a new speedo and stuff. Basically just replace every part of the bike that is in front of the key lol

So anyways, this key code thingy? How do I get that if he doesn't have one?
That's a bit tricky...there's a set number of key codes for each Kawi (basically, there's only like 200 key codes (random number pulled out of my ass...I know there's a lot, but significantly less than one per bike), or something like that, so your key will essentially work in the ignition and locks of one in every 200 of the same year/make/model Kawi as yours...something like that...maybe even more of them)...the dealer looks up the key code plate in this Super Secret Ovaltine Decoder Ring book thing, and it gives them a series of numbers. Then they pull out this hand key cutting tool, enter those numbers into it sorta like a briefcase lock, then stick the key in and squeeze, and bammo...you have your key. I don't think that there's any way to do it backwards.

However, if you know where the first owner bought the bike, the original dealer always keeps a copy of the key code tied to the VIN of the bike, so you could call that dealer to get the key code. At least, they're SUPPOSED to keep a copy of it.

Also, a locksmith can cut a key just from your ignition column (super-trick Mission Impossible-style gagetry), but it costs about $100 or $150 for one key, because they have to find the right key shape first. But then once you have that key they made, the locksmith could probably cut you a bazillion extras for a few bucks each. It's pricey at first, but cheaper and better than buying a whole new ignition column and trying to explain that to your next buyer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

However, if you know where the first owner bought the bike, the original dealer always keeps a copy of the key code tied to the VIN of the bike, so you could call that dealer to get the key code. At least, they're SUPPOSED to keep a copy of it.
I've sold bikes at several dealerships. They don't keep key codes at all. Think about what that would mean to someone who didn't use that information for good. If somebody broke in and stole the VIN and key code information which was associated with each and every customer that info went to including ADDRESS, what's to prevent every bike ever sold from being stolen with the turn of a key.

Huge liability, and one that few dealerships would most likely risk.

I know personally I wouldn't want anyone having that information but me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Fuck that somebody else has the key and he went to make a duplicate, sounds fishy to me. I would change the ignition lock if I were you.

·
Registered
550 Posts

Also, a locksmith can cut a key just from your ignition column (super-trick Mission Impossible-style gagetry), but it costs about $100 or $150 for one key, because they have to find the right key shape first. But then once you have that key they made, the locksmith could probably cut you a bazillion extras for a few bucks each. It's pricey at first, but cheaper and better than buying a whole new ignition column and trying to explain that to your next buyer.

I couldn't find a local locksmith that could/would do it, so I e-mailed this guy that I found on Google --> http://www.a-1mobilelockandkey.com/Motorcycles_and_Atvs.htm

He did it for I think $50 including shipping about 8 months ago. FedEx'd the guy my ignition cylinder, he sent it back with 2 matching keys. Not bad at all, considering the alternative was the somehow mangle the gas cap out of the tank, then get a new lock set (ignition cylinder, gas cap, and helmet lock) from eBay or Honda for $200-$300.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by warbuk

well hopfully you'll get it today. that rain should be done moved on outa there and more here by this afternoon [V]

Well, so much for that - it's still pouring. Dammit. I had planned to ride a bit after work.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I lost both keys once and there's supposed to be a number etched into the bottom of the ignition. Nope, so such luck on mine. and since the ignition of the 7's was riveted on, I just took the whole gas tank (empty) to a locksmith. He made me a key in like 20 minutes. Cost like $20.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by wharthog3II

I've sold bikes at several dealerships. They don't keep key codes at all. Think about what that would mean to someone who didn't use that information for good. If somebody broke in and stole the VIN and key code information which was associated with each and every customer that info went to including ADDRESS, what's to prevent every bike ever sold from being stolen with the turn of a key.

Huge liability, and one that few dealerships would most likely risk.

I know personally I wouldn't want anyone having that information but me.
Huh...well there's a huge incorporated Kawi/Honda/Suzuki dealership by me that I got my replacement keys from, and the first thing they asked me was if I bought the bike there, and I asked why and he said, "We keep the key codes on file for all the bikes we sell so that we can cut spares." He said that it was common practice.

·
Registered
550 Posts

Huh...well there's a huge incorporated Kawi/Honda/Suzuki dealership by me that I got my replacement keys from, and the first thing they asked me was if I bought the bike there, and I asked why and he said, "We keep the key codes on file for all the bikes we sell so that we can cut spares." He said that it was common practice.
My dealer kept mine as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.