Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I wanted to get a reflash on my ECU by dptune, BUT I don't know (and did a search) where the thing is.

little help please! thanks in advance ;)

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
In the vicinity of HERE:

Although it's not a car PCM which you can reflash the PROM on. You will need a Dynojet PCV or Bazzaz piggyback or an aftermarket ECU.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks vex, is it underneath that? is there a pic of the ecu?

and, as for the need for an aftermarket piggyback, it's not true.

dynotronics cracked the code and can change all the parameters...

I know you won't believe me, so here's a thread for the zx10r:

Dynotronics May zx10r.net special! - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

I know the company, and the ppl, as they do a reflash on a model of car I own. I'll be the guinea pig for the zx6r :D

they do reflashes on all types of bikes. they also offer a lifetime money back guarantee.

thx for the help Vex, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Wait a tic. You HAVE a PCV on your bike and yet you're going to pay a company to "reflash" your ECU? If your tuned PCV is tuned correctly then reflashing your ECU is only going to make the PCV unnecessary. You're not going to gain anything :confused:

Are they also going to tune it on a dyno or just reflash it with a generic map? You're possibly going to go from a perfectly good dyno tuned map to a garbage one unless they dyno tune it with a wideband O2 sensor.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
400 bucks... geez, i hope you never change exhausts, kit cams or put kit velocity stacks on it

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
most companies that 'reflash' stock ecus load in a new set of basic maps for not only fuel and ignition timing as well as top speed restrictions, rev limiters, etc. they have to actually crack open the ECU and dig into the shit used to seal the board.

after that you'll still have to run a power commander to custom tune your bike. the reason you would want to do that is the same reason people still piggyback power commanders on top of kit ECUs. you can get more out of the ECU with a 'reflash,' but it's only worth it if it's a race bike. for the street it's pointless.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
So basically you're only going to get a bit of benefit from the ignition timing? Then again it's a mail-order ECU flash so he'll literally have to re-dyno tune his PCV, there is no top speed limiter to bypass, and I doubt he's changed out his cams and done work to his head to necessitate a higher rev limiter or heaven forbid removing it entirely.

That and for the streets he'll NEED to use 91 octane fuel all the time... After looking how come no one offers an ignition advancer for the '09+ ZX6rs?

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
So basically you're only going to get a bit of benefit from the ignition timing? Then again it's a mail-order ECU flash so he'll literally have to re-dyno tune his PCV, there is no top speed limiter to bypass, and I doubt he's changed out his cams and done work to his head to necessitate a higher rev limiter or heaven forbid removing it entirely.

That and for the streets he'll NEED to use 91 octane fuel all the time... After looking how come no one offers an ignition advancer for the '09+ ZX6rs?
because dynojet offers an ignition module

it's more than just ignition timing. it basically turns the stock ECU into a kit ECU. the benefits, however, are nil on the street, and overkill even for a track bike.

put the money you would waste on reflashing your ecu into suspension bits

http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_...s_exhaust_power_commander_ecu_mods/index.html

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Okie dokie. I don't know why Dynojet doesn't list it on their site, but it is out there. Well there you go then. So you can spend basically $300 on top of your PCV to be able to TUNE your '09+ ZX6r fuel and ignition or you can spend $400+ for a hacked ECU which you can't do either on?

So back to my original point: Why?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm waiting to hear back about what actual torque and HP gains can be had on our bikes. I had mine tuned already with the PCV, and I know what the bike's number are.

haven't pulled the trigger yet. promises promises. I really doubt they can squeeze much more out of the bike. but I'd still like to know where the ecu is and what it looks like.

I also asked for a discount. It really depends on what numbers they can 'claim'.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Well unless they can specifically TUNE your bike on a dyno and tune your ignition and fuel maps accordingly (and you don't anticipate changing ANYTHING on your bike in the future) it seems kind of a silly option IMO.

I can see why GTS mentions it's only a valid option for race bikes because typically you build it and don't need to worry about changing maps around because everything attached to the engine is semi-permanent. If you plan on upgrading anything on your bike you'll have to either get entirely new maps burned or you'll STILL need to spend $600 for a PCV and an ignition module.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you changed your gearing yet? You'll feel more from that

I'm waiting to hear back about what actual torque and HP gains can be had on our bikes. I had mine tuned already with the PCV, and I know what the bike's number are.

haven't pulled the trigger yet. promises promises. I really doubt they can squeeze much more out of the bike. but I'd still like to know where the ecu is and what it looks like.

I also asked for a discount. It really depends on what numbers they can 'claim'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wait a tic. You HAVE a PCV on your bike and yet you're going to pay a company to "reflash" your ECU? If your tuned PCV is tuned correctly then reflashing your ECU is only going to make the PCV unnecessary. You're not going to gain anything :confused:

Are they also going to tune it on a dyno or just reflash it with a generic map? You're possibly going to go from a perfectly good dyno tuned map to a garbage one unless they dyno tune it with a wideband O2 sensor.
Actually we dont use a wide band o2 as they are really very slow to react to changes in mixture.We use, a WRAF sensor, 5 gas , and cylinder pressure sensors, as well as the KDS3 for dataloging.

And while the PC is a decent gadget for tuning, it really does not have very good resolution, and even the very best tuners in the business will leave a bit on the table when using the pc alone for tuning fuel alone

Now you are correct, the PC can be updated with a ignition module, but again the resolution is far from ideal, and it is only an offset to the factory tuning.

You also overlook the several other things that the piggy backs like the PC cannot do; 1-2, 3-4 ,5-6 gear timing retards, secondary maps, fan on cycle temps, and more. Also, when we tune the ecu, we remap the secondary injectors as part of the file service.

Sure you can remove the flies, and add a TRE, but you are not going to come close to what a properly retuned factory ecu will make you bike run like.

As far as fuel trims for each and every pipe combo; You would be very suprised how close our tuning is to perfect stoich on most bikes. And yes, a good tuner can squeeze out a bit more with the piggy back if you already have it, BUT, it is far better to simply resend the ecu to us to "touch up" the file based on any Lambda change you need on the dyno run. Besides, the one time fee covers you for the life of the bike, pipe changes and all!

Oh, BTW, we don't unpot, or even look inside your ecu. There is no need, we did all the R&D on cores and test mules.

Thanks for allowing me to straighten that out here!

Joe McClughan
Dynotronics,Inc

·
Registered
11 Posts

Its not a huge gain over the well tuned zx6 on top end numbers. like 2-2.6 whp more, however we gain a pretty good bump in the 8K-11.5K range, and the 12.2K to 15.3K range due to the gain in area under the tq curve. As well as bump you get in rev limit to 16.5K.

But, all that aside, I will tell you that the ride/run quality is far better than what you have ridden todate. And I back that up with a 100% money back gaurantee on all of our files

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
still a waste of money for someone who, A; just started riding, B; doesn't do track days yet, C; is still running stock suspension when that should be done before any real power adders

·
Registered
150 Posts
You're saying that the 09-11 zx-6r with this mod is making more torque and HP above 14.5k ?

Its not a huge gain over the well tuned zx6 on top end numbers. like 2-2.6 whp more, however we gain a pretty good bump in the 8K-11.5K range, and the 12.2K to 15.3K range due to the gain in area under the tq curve. As well as bump you get in rev limit to 16.5K.

But, all that aside, I will tell you that the ride/run quality is far better than what you have ridden todate. And I back that up with a 100% money back gaurantee on all of our files

1 - 20 of 36 Posts