Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go with the Metzeler Sportech M1s. They are the BEST tire on the market...exceptional grip. I got my set for $225 from a shop in Dallas, TX...plus $60 for install.

Good price, GREAT tire.

I have put these on my old 98 6r adn my new 00 6r

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by scttpr

Go with the Metzeler Sportech M1s. They are the BEST tire on the market...exceptional grip. I got my set for $225 from a shop in Dallas, TX...plus $60 for install.

Good price, GREAT tire.

I'll second that. I love these tires!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Originally posted by scttpr

Good price, GREAT tire.

Never used them. Heard they rock. Just got some diablos, and they are amazing tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For street riding/Racing. Which tires do you prefer?
Stock tires? After market tires?

Any pros/cons to deciding which brand to go with?

I was always told that the stock tires (dunlop) are very good quality, and not needed to be changed if deciding to run on the track. This true?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Was running Dunlops D207's not I'm getting ready to run Bridgestones BT010 in front and BT020's in rear...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm a Michelin Man - nothing grips quite the same at the end of the BUT the French (unfortunately) rubber is a great deal more consistant than anything else I've used.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Metzeler Rennsport Streetrace - grip is unbelievable, I've yet to lock up the front or skid the rear when trying to wheelie, and this is on hot or cold tires. My old Pilot Sports felt like bars of soap by comparison.

On the track, they give me the utmost confidence. I'm about 10+ secs off the fast guys pace at the closest track (1m40s vs 1m25s-1m30s)so, for me, they last a while as well. I've only got 2500km (70% street)on them yet, so I wouldn't know about longevity.

Wet grip is not as good as the pilot sports but that doesn't really matter to me, I'm not going to go that fast in the rain anyhow. They don't have any thread/grooves/whaddayacallem on the sides of the tires so excessive lean in the wet is not a good idea.

·
Registered
443 Posts
been on michelin pilot sports for years. i just know how they handle. i dislike bridgestone and dunlop.
i have heard nothing but positve feedback about the metzler m-1's.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i run 208's also. sticks well in hot houston pavement.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I like the Pilot Sports best so far. But tires are quite a personal opinoin. Riding style, usage, mileage, grip, feedback, cost. Everyone likes diff combinations of this. What one guys loves another hates. You're best to try somethign that sounds like it interests you and try it for yourself.

Try to pick one or two top traits that you prefer and it may help to narrow doen the list of choices. For example, if you mainly do commuting (mielage), the Metzelers probably won't be your best option (they're relativly pricey and they generally get less mielage).

Tires is kind of my new hobby...my quest to find the best one for my style won't end till I've tried 'em all :D. By the time I have a winner it'll be obsolete. So far I like the Pilot Sports the best, followed by the Bridgestone BT-010's.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
My 208's are fine for my riding. I dont ride as hard as some, but I do enjoy hitting some twisties, and going through a nice set of "s" curves on the highway here at 160kph instead of the reccomended 70kph :) They feel totally solid even then.
I do notice they take longer to warm up them my OEM 207's, but once warm they feel better.

In the rain they feel stable as well, though the pattern on the front confuses the hell out of me, I thought they mounted my tire backwards as to my eyes it appears the water would be pushed into the middle of the tire, but I've checked and they are mounted right.

·
Registered
997 Posts
How many KM's do u get from the both types of metzler tyres: Metzeler Rennsport Streetrace and Metzeler Sportech M1s
Thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

My 208's are fine for my riding. I dont ride as hard as some, but I do enjoy hitting some twisties, and going through a nice set of "s" curves on the highway here at 160kph instead of the reccomended 70kph :) They feel totally solid even then.
I do notice they take longer to warm up them my OEM 207's, but once warm they feel better.

In the rain they feel stable as well, though the pattern on the front confuses the hell out of me, I thought they mounted my tire backwards as to my eyes it appears the water would be pushed into the middle of the tire, but I've checked and they are mounted right.
Yeah I read an article somewhere explaining why the tread pattern is reversed from the 207's design. More people than you thought they were mounted wrong. I think it was a reader-letter in Sport Rider or something. Anyway, there's some sort of method to the madness, I just don't recall what the reason was. Let's just put it down as better performance.

As for the 207's, they were fine for me at the (rough) Shubie track and the street too, but compared to the comptition is where I personally find a big diff. But like I said, never tried the 8's yet. And seeing how they're doign in MotoGP - fired by suzuki, barely treading water on the kwacker - it doesn't exactly pull me back to 'em, know what I mean? :D. Not that I need GP quality slicks, but you know...

UPDATE - I found the article (Sport Rider, Aug 2003 - Mail Box). The 208 is a more traditional 'reversed' Dunlop front, but the 207 was not reversed. But he (Mike Manning, Product/Marketing manager for Dunlop) says the cosecant wave pattern on the 207 and 208 works as well in either direction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.