Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a damper here soon. I hate that wiggle when I on full on it. My first choice so far is the Scotts both for functionality and the way it looks. I would like to hear what you have any why you picked it. Thanks in advance (03 6R by the way)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Input "damper" in the search field. You'll note many threads about the topic, for various year ZXs. Some comments are quite informative.

Top contenders include Scotts and Ohlins. I bought an Ohlins for my '03, from Kyle Racing Engines. My observation is the '03 behaves better with a damper on the racetrack. Others disagree; it's a free country. On a bumpy track with the harsh compression damping inherent to stock ’03 suspension, the issue seems elementary to me. For street riding, maybe it isn’t so cut-and-dried.

Many like the Scotts, I thought the Ohlins easier to deal with. YMMV, and both are well-regarded.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have not set the sag, do that first; the bike will slap less and handle better. A damper may solve the slapping problem, but the bike will not handle quite as well as it can without the proper sag.

Also, when you give full throttle, you can easily give inadvertent input to the bars, which is the most common cause of slaps. Be sure to only gently rest your hands on the clip-ons.

Both the Ohlins and the Scotts damper are good choices. For an expert's take on the pair, check out this thread and this thread.

·
Registered
671 Posts
<div align="left">Hi all I'm new to the board and I searched and didn't see it said before... but does everyone know that the Scotts steering damper is a dirt bike damper made by Ohlins and modified by Scotts for street.

Here's a link and pic of the Ohlins damper.
http://www.ohlins.com/mc_sd_mx.shtml

zx6rrdan has attached this file: ohlins.jpg

from a June 2003 cycle canada steering damper article.

" Ohlins makes a rotary damper with high- and low-speed adjustment for dirt bikes that the U.S. company Scotts Performance uses as a basis for both street and dirt damper kits. Ohlins doesn't recommend its rotary damper be used on the street because the design causes more rapid oil deterioration, but the rotary-type is shielded against damage, adjustable and quickly installed. The ohlins unit doesn't have damping on the return stroke, but for street and track use the Scotts version uses two-way damping. ....."</div id="left">

·
Registered
16 Posts
I BOUGHT A SCOTS DAMPER ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AGO... I THOUGHT IT WOUDL HELP A LITTLE. WHEN I GOT IT AND RODE ADN ADJUSTED IT AND GOT THE FEEL FOR HOW IT WORKED. THE FIRST THING I LEARNED WAS THAT I NEVER REALLY RODE HARD....( WHICH I THOUGHT I COULD RIDE HARD) AND WITH THE SCOTTS DAMPER IS FEEL SAFE AND CAN RIDE SOEM SERIOUS TWISTIES. I'D GO WITH SCOTTS DAMPER AND ITS HARD TO FIDN THEM UNDER 400 BUCKS ANYWHERE ON THE INTENET

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.