Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HJC cs-air. decent construction I guess but it makes me look like a bobble head doll when I wear it. Its a size large but Ive seen other helmets the same size and they dont look as bulky.

Im looking at a Shark helmet right now online but Ive never seen one in person yet, basically I want a helmet thats well made AND one that wont make me look like I have a 20lb medicine ball on my head. suggestions/recommendations please.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Same hear my Arai Q2 gives me the bobble head look.(though its damn comphy & fits perfect) Look into Shoie's X-11 model, read where
it has a smaller shell than others & there fore you loose the big head look.

Though dont sacrifice comfort for looks, ill fitting helmet is a no no.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
safety > looks always. I just want a good quality helmet that doesnt look so darn big. I know there are some out there. the Shoei X-11 is a nice lid, hopefully Shark helmets will give me what Im looking for. If not I will have a good helmet regardless.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Shark helmets are not the way to go if you want to avoid a big helmet look. They're not HUGE, but they're much more rounded and less sculpted, which gives them a bigger profile. The smallest helmet brands by profile that I've found are Suomy and Vemar. Then Arai, then probably Shoei, but I know Shoei's are larger than Arai Suomy and Vemar. Good luck. If you want when I get home I can try to post pictures of my Shark next to my Vemar.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by dragknt
Shark helmets are not the way to go if you want to avoid a big helmet look. They're not HUGE, but they're much more rounded and less sculpted, which gives them a bigger profile. The smallest helmet brands by profile that I've found are Suomy and Vemar. Then Arai, then probably Shoei, but I know Shoei's are larger than Arai Suomy and Vemar. Good luck. If you want when I get home I can try to post pictures of my Shark next to my Vemar.
hey man if you can do that that would be great. I was looking at Vemars also. which model Shark do you have?

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
I have the S800 (pretty much the same helmet as their current $200-$300 range, but they came out with a new model name this year), and the helmet is lighter than the HJC and Icon's I have had, but heavier than Arai/Vemar/Suomy helmets, and it looks pretty big, mostly just because of how rounded it is, whereas Arai and Vemar have more aerodynamic edges to them. I'll post the pics as soon as I can tonight.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the one im looking at is an S800, how do you like it? a guy on ebay is selling them new for 115 shipped. I will most likely be buying it no matter what because of that price.

how much would you say the S800 weighs?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
For what it's worth...My Scorpion is a non-bobble head looking helmet. Fits great, comfortable, and light....plus it's very affordable too.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by jerzefigga
the one im looking at is an S800, how do you like it? a guy on ebay is selling them new for 115 shipped. I will most likely be buying it no matter what because of that price.

how much would you say the S800 weighs?
Here's my shark review:

To answer your question outright, I'm not entirely sure. It weighs a tad less than a Shoei RF-1000, HJC AC-11, Icon Mainframe, etc. (though it is pretty close to the lighter of those), but more than an Arai RX-7, Vemar VSR, and Suomy Spec-1R.

The Vemar weighs in at just under 3 pounds, the Arai at a smidge over 3 pounds even, and the Suomy just a tad more than that. The weight of the Shoei and HJC helmets were damn up there a tad under 4 pounds when I weighed them (weighed all the helmets in question, and a few more, same-day on the same FedEx shipping scale at a local bike shop). The Shark was right in that ball park, and the Icon Mainframe and Scorpion Exo-400 were both well over the 4-pound mark, with the Exo-700 just over 4 pounds.

The S800 is quiet-ish, and has very very high quality construction. Definately top shelf, there. The fit and finish is excellent, and for my head at least, the pad shape is absolutely excellent. Very plush and soft material, feels like sort of suede-ish microfiber, and it wraps my head perfectly on the crown, on the back, the cheeks, and even on the under slope of the cranium, I can feel solid padding there in just the right places. The paint used in the graphics is very high quality, but you can see a small amount of dithering on some of the black painted fade-outs (most helmets, even the pricy ones, have some dithering unless you get an authentic airbrushed graphic). They are fairly light for what they are, though, and how much padding they have, and they feel very very solid.

The downsides are that it's heavier than some of the top-of-the-line lightweight helmets (the Vemar VSR is the smallest and lightest helmet available at under 3 pounds, and if you can find a store that has them in stock you can get them from between $100 to $160 shipped...they MSRP for $500 for the grpahics to $800 for the CF), and the shell size is sorta bulbous, and the chinbar is a tad close, especially if you have a big chin. Also, venting is good, but not outstanding. A minor nit pick I had is that the shell's paint is covered by a clear laminate coating to protect it from chips and stuff (works well, too)...good idea, but after a year or so of use, I rode through a torrential downpour, and a very small piece of the laminate bubbled a little bit (about 3mm x 5mm) just to the side of the chinbar at the very bottom of the helmet. It didn't ruin the paint, but you can see that the laminate is pulled up in that small spot if you look closely. But note that a year of riding for me is just about 15,000 miles, so the helmet got a lot of good use before that happened.

Overall, the interior comfort is worth the price alone, you don't get that kind of 3-D pad design and comfort from many of the top-shelf offerings. The entire pad set is removable and washable, not just the cheek pads. It's a tad heavy if going from a truly light weight helmet to the Shark, and feels bigger on your head...I find I'll whack myself in the head now and then if I went from the Vemar to the Shark because I'm used to the shell being smaller.

Didn't get that picture for you...sorry, man. If I remember I'll get it tomorrow morning before work. If anything I'll snap a few cell phone pics and email them to myself so I can post them during work sometime.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Sorry for crappy camera phone quality...

Front:

Back:

Side:

Top:

Shark on my head:

Vemar on my head:

Shark interior:

Vemar interior:

Also, the Shark is a size small, and the Vemar is a size medium. Most helmet brands use their smaller shell through medium, and the larger shell for sizes large and up (if they have multiple shell sizes, which the cheaper guys don't), so that really doesn't affect the shell size, but it explains the plethora of extra padding in the Shark.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
HJC is fucking huge...I'm a huge fan of my new Shoei though. I had two HJCs before switching to Shoei and I can't be happier. The size and quality are both much better.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dragknt, THANK YOU for such an extensive review. looks like im torn between the Vemar and Shark now. A coin flip will help me decide though thanks to your pictures and comments about both :D

I just have to find local places that sell/stock both so I can try them on.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm in the market for a new helmet as well because my Icon Mainframe is a bobblehead helmet too, especially because I'm pretty slender as it is (6' 165lbs)...

My next helmet will most likely be a Suomy Spec1R Extreme or an Arai RX7 because they look much smaller on my head.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by jerzefigga
dragknt, THANK YOU for such an extensive review. looks like im torn between the Vemar and Shark now. A coin flip will help me decide though thanks to your pictures and comments about both :D

I just have to find local places that sell/stock both so I can try them on.
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a store by me that sells Vemar helmets. I got my sizing info to make the purchase by calling KneeDraggers when they had them for sale (for the short time before they sold out completely) and talked to their parts guy, who had purchased a Vemar. He walked me through some sizing differences, and gave me some "if you wear this size in this helmet, get this size Vemar" stuff...which was great since they had already sold out of my size anyway, but he still walked me through all the info so I could buy them somewhere else...I ended up buying mine from www.sportbiketrackgear.com (I think that's the site...) but I don't know of any physical storefronts that have them in stock. Most stores don't even know what the hell 'Vemar' is. :/

I showed my Vemar to the Shoei rep for my area when I happened to run into him at a local dealer, and HE didn't even know what Vemar was. He felt my helmet and looked it over, and was blown away by how high quality it was, being that he had never heard of them, and guessed that it'd sell for about $500 to $600, the same range as Shoei's top of the line, and admitted how much lighter it was than all of Shoei's helmets. He got pissed when I told him I paid $160 shipped new-in-box because he thought I was fucking with him. hehehe

·
Registered
233 Posts
I love my KBC vr2. It is DOT and Snell approved. Its confortable as hell and it has awesome airflow. It does not give me the bobble head look at all. It is very small compared to my HJC CL-14. Thats he reason I got it. I was having the same issue you were. I couldnt stand it so I searched high and low until I found one that was not as big and that is what I came up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.