Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never ridden a motorcycle a day in my life. Been dreaming of buying one for 10 years. In fact Ive been riding a bicycle for the past 7 years due to not having a vehicle. So I know how to ride.... a bicycle... How hard can a motorcycle differ from a bike versus someone used to being in a car? Anyways I want to buy a Kawasaki this spring... nothing massive but nothing small.. Just a great relaxing city bike that can also hit the highways once in a while.

My dream bike will not be a monster but not a whimp.... i would like to be able to customize it a bit... fat tire + stretch bar for starters... some type of radio on it would be great.. but I dont know which one to pick... someone said get a 250R... then I hear a 300 is coming out soon... another guy said to get a 600... sport vs. super-sport... its all confusing...

Help me out with some advise on bikes... thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My dream bike will not be a monster but not a whimp.... i would like to be able to customize it a bit... fat tire + stretch bar for starters... some type of radio on it would be great.. but I dont know which one to pick... someone said get a 250R... then I hear a 300 is coming out soon... another guy said to get a 600... sport vs. super-sport... its all confusing...

Help me out with some advise on bikes... thanks
Fat tire and stretch bar.....you def want to get a Cruiser maybe a Vulcan 900 custom.

but maybe 600+ pounds might be too heavy for you for your first bike. I think that a 250 would be good to start on, but you may not be able to customize it the way you are thinking about going.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look at a ninja 250, 300, 500, or 650. None of those bikes will overwhelm you with their power or size, I wouldn't go for anything more powerful than a Ninja 650 for your first bike. And Honda has a pretty cool new CBR 500 that you should check out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
For a first bike I'd get a Ninja 650 and make the dealer limit it to 33bhp (it is factory option in the ECU) until you get used with the power, breaking and such. In my experience 250/300 would feel too little after only a few months of regular riding and you'd have to change your bike too soon.

Also if you are not used with 2-wheels like riding a lot a normal bicycle, ABS is a good thing to have in those more extreme cases.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
your dream bike = fat tire and stretch swingarm?

go buy yourself a gsxr1000 and do that

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got my first bike this spring ninja 650. I love it for the most part. Has a good amount of power although i wasnt overwhelmed when i first got on it, and is decently customizable. At times I wish I had the super sport 600 or 636 cuz I won't lie I'm kinda power/speed guy. But I wouldn't trade my 650 for it, when I can have both then ill make the jump.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
honda goldwing - has your radio, is "like a car" and has a fat tire. it will do your cruising and highway

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
This isnt the site for asking about ruining a perfectly good bike, wich is what you are proposing.

A fat tire serves no purpose on any bike short of a top fuel nitro drag bike and those arnt even the same as you are thinking. Same goes for the swing-arm if its long enough to be noticeable at a glance.

Both those things make a bike handle and ride like shit.

Also, you are obviously thinking about getting a sport bike, most likely a super-sport going by what you are saying. You've never ridden a motorcycle in your life, stay off a "sport" bike unless it has less then 600cc's. Get a 250-400 and leave it stock until you learn to ride.

I doubt we will see you post again though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do not attempt to start with your "dream bike" whatever that may be. For starters, after you start riding, your dream bike will change, probably several times. My dream bike goes back and forth among about a half dozen ones, and I've been riding for a few years.

Start with an inexpensive bike that's easy to learn on. A used Ninja 250 is very good for this purpose, in addition to generally being a fun little bike. There are others as well. CBR250R has been out long enough for used ones to be on the market. Older 500's and small cruisers make good starter bikes too. If you insist on buying new, and I DO NOT recommend buying new for a first bike, Ninja 300 and Honda CBR250 or CBR500 are things you might consider. Your first bike probably won't be your last bike, so don't be too worried about outgrowing it or getting tired of it. Ride a small displacement bike for at least a few months, and then start thinking of whether you want something bigger, and if so, what.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Based on what I am reading you will eventually want a Zx14,but you have to start with baby steps,get a used 250 in the range of 2000 dollars , ride that thing for 10 thousand miles and then sell it for as much money as you paid for it and get what you want (although a zx14 is a big jump lol)

Also bicycle to motorcycle expirience trasnfers somehow , someone that has ridden countless hours on a bike will help you specially if you have been on a road bicycle and gone fast and a mountain bike and gone fast , just riding to the store with your phone on your ear and a beer holder won't translate for shit.

now that does not mean you can just jump on a motorcycle, it would be like saying that a guy that has been driving cars for years can now jump on a Formula 1 car, you need to realize that the brakes,acceleration, speed and other cars make it a formidable challenge.

It has taken me about 30k miles to be fully experienced and every week or so I learn something new, and when I mean something new I mean something that I could had died for but I got lucky

·
Registered
172 Posts
I learned to ride on a 2013 ninja 650. Although I had ridden dirt bikes for many years prior to entering the street bike world. A 650 has some balls if you want it to but the likeliness of you ripping the throttle open and losing your bike isn't high like a 600 or 1000cc super sport. With that being said it is still very dangerous and has plenty enough power get you from A-B, or even hit up a track if that's what your into. The only problem I have with starting on a 250/300 is by the end of your first summer you most likely will want something a bit bigger and not everyone can afford to get both. I would recommend a moter cycle saftey course before you do anything so you can see if a 2 wheeled machine is even for you. It's way differnt then a bike and are not for everyone.

·
Registered
448 Posts
every week or so I learn something new, and when I mean something new I mean something that I could had died for but I got lucky
That sounds about right

·
Registered
172 Posts
I will agree with you guys that I'm always becoming a better rider and always learning every time I hop on the bike. Even someone who has been riding for 50 years can learn something new.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So I have never ridden a motorcycle a day in my life. Been dreaming of buying one for 10 years. In fact Ive been riding a bicycle for the past 7 years due to not having a vehicle. So I know how to ride.... a bicycle... How hard can a motorcycle differ from a bike versus someone used to being in a car?
It differs a LOT! I would recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Course as your first priority. It will teach you what you need to know to start riding and avoid, or at least be aware of, the common beginner mistakes/misconceptions. Then once you have completed the course, start looking for your first bike.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It differs a LOT! I would recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Course as your first priority. It will teach you what you need to know to start riding and avoid, or at least be aware of, the common beginner mistakes/misconceptions. Then once you have completed the course, start looking for your first bike.
Agreed! Take an MSF course, it helps out a lot especially if you've never been on a motorcycle before. Just yesterday a guy got killed only a few minutes after riding off the dealerships lot with his new bike. He didnt have his m endorsement or had taken an MSF course. The dealership had even told him that they would deliver the bike to his house so that he could take the course first but he insisted on riding it home. It's a shame and sad that this
incident happened but things like this may be prevented with proper training, learning what to look for on the road and what to expect when riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
You may not think a beginner motorcycle has the right looks, but it may save your life.

This guy below writes from many years of experience, back when people were not afraid to ride a cheaper, smaller bike to learn on or save money with:
-
-
-
GOOD FIRST MOTORCYCLES
-
-
-

·
Registered
684 Posts
OP - what's your weight and height? can you start on a 600? sure. is it smart? probably not.

I do like the 300's. 250's are great bikes, and not for beginners. there's a guy, been riding 28 years, used to race. and he's probably at least 250 lbs. He rides the piss out of a vintage 1990 250R. Yes he also owns one of my dream bikes, a ducati streetfighter S, but that's beside the point. he rides the two fiddy much more often the the duc.

and if you only have 1 dream bike, you need to dream bigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not all 600cc are the same. My first one was BMW F650CS which is single cylinder, 50hp bike and was a great, easy to learn bike. My second one is now a Ninja 650R 2012 and I think it has way too much power for a beginner (it still surprises me).

But if you get a Ninja 650R (not a new one, its likely that you let it fall few times, even very lightly) and restrict it in a Kawi dealer to 33hp first 6 months, it will be great bike to learn on - similar in performance to Ninja 300, then remove the restriction and enjoy power you can handle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts