Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, currently I have the 08 ninja 250r and am in process of upgrading to a bigger bike. I need one with low seat height and the least of vibration at freeway crusing speed 75mph and above and most important of all,,, good gas mileage. Currently, my ninja 250 gets me about 52mpg freeway 75-85mph speed, 250lb guy and this bike is very easy to control and split the lane, very narrow...(need it in socal freeway).

I was looking at kawasaki versys and like it but seat height it high and little wide. I really like a suzuki sv650sf abs but don't know much about it except its gets a lot of positive reviews but kind of old bike now as far as its introduction model, plus I would love to have abs. The new model 09 yamaha fz6r is new and dealer mechanics said its perfect for my commuting and occasional sceneray rides..with plenty of current technology upgraded parts... and then there is 650r which I have sat on and seems comfortable to ride and okay as far as seat height, could be lower.
Does anybody have any info comparison of these models on how easy and manuverbility to control bike(in socal frwy, splitting lane). so far ninja 250 is a perfect lane splitters bike. Also how reliable the motor or bike is long term reliablity, so don't need high repair bills, which is best gas MPG bike, and most comfortable to commute( I am not into sports canyon carving or racing). And which one gives the least amount of vibrations of buzz at frwy speeds, and which one has lowest rpm at crusing 85mph speed.
And which one is most bang for the buck...

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I have a Ninja 650, I really like it. Last trip I went on I averaged 58 mpg. California traffic and freeway speeds are no problem, the 4 cyl yamaha is going to be smoother than the Ninja or the SV, but probably won't get as good fuel economy. Don't know about the Yami, but a couple of racer buddies, one who used to race SV's, say the second gen SV motor tends to put holes in pistons. The Ninja 650 probably has a more reliable motor. Mine has 11,000 miles with no issues.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm partial to my 650R, but all the bikes you listed are great, really. To me it boiled down to visual appeal. I don't like the way the versys looks. I think my 650 is beautiful, not to mention comfy. Thats why I bought it. Test ride/sit on a few different bikes and see what you think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I bought m 650r I was pretty sold on it before I even went to the dealer then I sat on it and bought it. I'm 6 foot 2 and 240lbs and fit on the bike just fine - some people say I look like a giant on it but I'm comfortable. At the time I bought mine the 2009 Yamaha wasn't available but that would have posted the most competition for me depending on comfort since I never have sat on one yet.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have a classic 250 (actually 2 of them) and a 650R. I'm giving serious thought to getting the FZ6R when it comes out but I won't know 100% until I get to sit on one. I will say that the bars on the 650R are a little wider than the 250, so there have been times I couldn't split when I would have no problem if I had been on my 250. It also sits a little higher. I can't flat foot with both feet, but I can put 1/2 foot down on each side on a level surface. The I4 of the Yami is not going to get the same MPG as the 650R. The SV650 has a lot of good reviews, but to me they look like someone forgot to finish putting it together. I'm not a big fan of the styling. My MPG on my 650 is in the mid to high 40's (I have a heavy throttle hand), 255 lb rider in So Cal. Where you at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is coming from somebody whom has been riding a friends 2006 Yamaha FZ6 for about a month; I simply love the bike, it's more or less a naked, upright, slightly less HP (98HP vs 135HP) than the Yamaha R6. I don't have much of a problem keeping up with my room mate who has a R6 until his bike hits the 14K range. The FZ6 version differs from the new 2009 FZ6R because it is the naked version, acclaimed to have different brakes, and the fuel tank is 5.1 gals (FZ6) vs 4.6 gal (FZ6R)

It is extremely comfortable, I tend to fill up around 200-210 miles, using it on my commute of mostly freeway. My buddy has squeezed 243 miles out of it at one point on a long road trip.

Handling is amazing in part because he put the Qualifiers on it but Qualies don't do well in rain, just FYI. They get real nice and sticky in the dry and I haven't had any issues getting myself off the seat and flicking the bike around in the twisties all day. When your done having fun, it settles right back down to a every day cruiser. While most complain on the supersports that they are stiff and sore, I can happily smile and say that I am relaxed and could have kept that up for some time before I would even feel tired or exhausted.

It has plenty of power for the track should you want to take it on a track day and has no qualms at all about getting the front end up but then again, I weigh next to nothing (5'10", 145lbs)

All in all, it's an awesome bike. The FZ6R is a bit dis-concerning for me just because of the slightly smaller fuel tank but I do like the full fairings. I'm not feeling the front end. I am looking forward to seeing it in person to make a decision if I will be getting the 2009 FZ6 or the FZ6R and test riding both. The difference in suspension and braking will be the selling point for me.

Of course some might be wondering why I am on here - I'm a big big fan of the redesigned Ninja 250 and will probably pick one up for grins. She might not be as fast as the big boys but when it comes to the twisties, CYA!

P.S. As for lane splitting. I can't answer that question for you since it is illegal here in the State of Washington. The times I have done it though (sorry, I won't sit in a 9 mile backup) it's a bit iffy at best but again I'm not used to it or do it on a common basis like you all are able to in California.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personal preferance here my man. All are great bikes. All get about the same MPG. SV and the Yamaha both are more powerful, but not by a ton. I have an 08 650 and I love it. I really feel like I don't need more power. Just knowing that I could do 0-60 at about 3.8 seconds scares me to death. LOL... I do enjoy the occasional blast from 20 to 70. If you are really bored with your 250 I'd say try out the 4 banger. Also call around for insurance there's a pretty big difference between a 250 and a 650 here. I've got really good full coverage on my 650 for right at 400/year. All bikes have some level of suspension adjustment to them to help with the height issues. I'm 6' 220 I have my rear shock really turned up, because it just seemed too low for me at the factory setting of 3. Setting 3 is for someone of about 165.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The 09 650r is supposed to be better for shorter riders and smoother with the new rubber mounting on the motor and handlebars. Its also supposed to have better low and mid range due to a change in the fuel injection. The one thing I have heard about over and over about the 06-08 650r is a fairing buzz at around 4000 rpm's.

As far as styling is concerned, its what ever catches your eye. I'd have a 500r right now if I could look at it and think "I just have to ride that." Instead its, "You mean I HAVE to ride that?"

I myself will be getting an 09 650r in Jan when they hit the dealerships, I'm already sold on the Kawi 650's, have been for awhile now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just my 2 cents , if you can get a chance to ride an inline 4 cylinder do it.You may find it doesnt suit your style of riding. you can look at spec sheets for weeks but until you sit on one and ride it you really dont know. International moto show is coming up thats a good time to look and there all going to be there along with techs . Buying a bike is special when you look at it it has to look good to you and feel right otherwise you wont want to ride it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
twins will vibrate more than i-4's. i have a 2005 zx-6r and a 2005 sv650. i would say that the SV is a good next step (or the ninja 650). the SV has been around a lot longer. i think it looks about infinity times better than the ninja 650. i have heard the same thing about th SV blowing pistons...but only when people are doing super long wheelies.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
okay, update, finally bought bike that met most of my requirements...its a 2008 suzuki bandit 1250 abs, used 4500miles, frame sliders, small pelican top case, sw moto top case mount, extended windshield with laminar lip, corbin seat and stock seat, seat fur pad cushion and still have 5months factory warranty left. I got it for around $6500 from some older retired man who said bike was too much for him and wanted to try the suzuki vee strom 650abs.

The bike is great with low seat height and the corbin seat makes it lower and pure comfort all the way. There is no vibration to speak of and its like a rocket ship from stop lights. I can do 75mph at around 4k rpm, 90mph at 5k and basically all the torque is at the lower rpm range,,its often call a torque monster. I get about 42 mpg which is great for a 1250cc engine 4 cylinder motor and the exhaust sound is like a jet engine sound but at low volume. My wind hits above my helmet so I am fairly protected from wind and no wind sound or buffeting turbulance. Bike is around 470 lbs, but is very neutral handling and don't feel its weight at all when riding, only feel the weight when moving in your garage. The abs is great feature which I haven't tested it yet, too chicken to do real test. Now I am using it to commute to work here in socal and I can split lanes no problem between cars, the mirrors are up high so it sits higher then cars and will only contact with trucks which are not that many.
Although ninja 250 is better lane splitter though because of its size and weight but no get up power.

The brakes and suspension are good and can handling is good but cannot flick like the ninja 250. I plan to add a top case and some saddle bags later for touring across states. Only thing that bothers me is that there is a little bit of heat coming up on my legs and when summer comes might be a problem but a plus in winter.

And with price of gas going down, the bike 4cylinder engine is a no brainer especially for the price. This bike brand new is probably the best bang for the buck with most feature and power. I already took this bike up to 151mph(yeah stupid but really couldn't resist to see what the bike could do) on the freeway and it was stable and steady, but only did it for a little bit of frwy when not busy. I had the trottle all the way to max so probably 151 mph is max speed according to bike guage.

I did reasearch on yamaha fz6 which is almost same as 09 fz6r had vibration issues, alhough maintenance is good interval. I found out kawasaki 650r is still have vibrations and fairing noise issue which explains 09 has rubber mounting for reducing vibration. The suzuki sv650s was my second choice although seat height was a little bit higher, but couldn't find good deal and the bandit was just better deal with all extra mods goodies with lower seat height and didn't have to deal with sv short coming of weak suspension issues. And all these bikes would be high rpm bikes compare to bandit low rpm bike at same speed which is better for long term engine lasting.

So far I am loving the bandit and only really negative is the weight of the bike. It is lighter then honda st1300, yamaha fjr, kawasaki concur, hyabusa, zx14 but the bandit can perform like all these superpower touring bikes.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
twins will vibrate more than i-4's. i have a 2005 zx-6r and a 2005 sv650. i would say that the SV is a good next step (or the ninja 650). the SV has been around a lot longer. i think it looks about infinity times better than the ninja 650. i have heard the same thing about th SV blowing pistons...but only when people are doing super long wheelies.

hope this helps.
The second gen SV's are know for being grenades. The first gen ones are pretty reliable, but I guess the second ones have "issues". A good second gen SV motor is actually of value.

·
Registered
854 Posts
okay, update, finally bought bike that met most of my requirements...its a 2008 suzuki bandit 1250 abs, used 4500miles, frame sliders, small pelican top case.....
I had a pelican case for a laptop years ago, we also use them alot in the military... I believe they are still guaranteed from all damage sources except three ....

1) Bear attacks
2) Shark bites
3) Children under 5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts