Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to learn how to do it but just chicken shit cause is 06 and i am still paying payments on it, just don't want to mess up, all my boyz can do it, but they all ride an older bike...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
i personally like the sit down, but youll get both answers. standups feel somewhat out of control to me, i think its cause im tall at 6'3", so i have to hunch over to get the bars.

most importantly, get comfortable with your bike before try stuff. if youre not comfy riding, and know the machine pretty well, it WILL get away from you. start slow and work your way up. wear your gear and dont do it around traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I like to sit down because it seems you can keep your balance better and if your feet slip off your not gonna wreck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
im still a newb to wheelies so i sit down when i do them. start off by sitting and powering it up. then when u get good at it move to standing clutch ups. i think when most people wreck doing wheelies they try clutching it up off the bat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Originally posted by SwiftNinja
im still a newb to wheelies so i sit down when i do them. start off by sitting and powering it up. then when u get good at it move to standing clutch ups. i think when most people wreck doing wheelies they try clutching it up off the bat.
i have to disagree... i think clutch wheelies are the safest way to learn, as the front comes up smoothly and more controled. Power wheelies come up rather violently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Originally posted by pcracks25



i have to disagree... i think clutch wheelies are the safest way to learn, as the front comes up smoothly and more controled. Power wheelies come up rather violently.
i have to agree that clutch wheelies are easier
for the same reason stated above: they are MUCH easier to control
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,573 Posts
Ok, thinking about this, power vs clutch......hmmm, if someone were new to the bike and wheelies, they would not be used to the quickness of the throttle response and in completed control of it. Now you guys are telling these newbes to clutch a wheelie cause it is more controled. I have to disagree about that. Think logicaly, about it and it will make sense, if you are going to do wheelies before you KNOW the bike then power them up, otherwise you have more of a chance of sitting on your ass as your bike tumbles away from you. Just my $.02 from riding for close to 30 years. Oh and as for power wheelies coming up uncontrolled, I can and have friends who can ride a power up in first and play the throttle to ride it for a couple blocks. It all have to do with control and knowing the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
How's this....... don't even attempt a wheelie until you are totally comfortable and confident in your riding skills. I mean, it's one thing to want to learn and practice wheelies once you have ridden for a while, but too many posts with the same old " hey I just got my bike and my buddies can do standups for a mile and a half on the highway at 90+ mph and I want to try it." [email protected]#$%CK your friends. When you are ready you will be ready. Be safe. By the way, yea clutch it up. haha.[:M91]
 

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
Joined
·
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by dangerz0ne
How's this....... don't even attempt a wheelie until you are totally comfortable and confident in your riding skills. I mean, it's one thing to want to learn and practice wheelies once you have ridden for a while, but too many posts with the same old " hey I just got my bike and my buddies can do standups for a mile and a half on the highway at 90+ mph and I want to try it." [email protected]#$%CK your friends. When you are ready you will be ready. Be safe. By the way, yea clutch it up. haha.[:M9]
+1

Having a bike and not knowing how to do wheelies is so much more fun than learning how to do wheelies but also wrecking your bike in the process.

I've never heard of anyone learning wheelies without any sort of problems. Everyone fucks up something.

Yea, it sucks when I gotta turn people down when they give me in the international sign for "pop a wheelie dude!!" but it's better than wrecking my bike.

There are so many other things to occupy your time with before learning how to wheelie - triple digits, knee dragging, WOT, etc. Most importantly, don't try any of this shit until you know your bike and get some time in the saddle. I learned first hand the danger of doing that shit too early. I gotta say...no part of crashing is worse than waiting to get your bike back. You get over the loss of money but not being able to ride for weeks/months sucks donkey balls.
 

·
MODERATOR
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
i think standups are a little easier, but learned with sitdowns... and i think im actually a little better at sit-downs. i dont do standups any more cause my right peg snapped from bouncing it up. it broke right where it starts to thin out, leaving me about an inch for my foot. i didnt loose it but it scared me away from bouncing standups with stock rearsets.

so my vot goes for 2nd gear sitdowns.

here are a few second gear sitdowns from a ride i went on... i stay in second gear and clutch it up (gear indicator goes crazy and says i went to first sometimes but its all second gear). if your gonna do em, be careful and keep that rear brake covered. make a conscious effort to try and cover it and use it every once in awhile so your prepared in an "oh shit" moment.

http://media.putfile.com/Sport-Commute
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Start by powering it up in 1st. Get comfortable with that first. Then try clutching it in 1st. Get comfortable with that. Then try 2nd gear clutching it. All sit downs. I never tried stand ups. That is how I learned and seemed to work good for me.
 

·
MODERATOR
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978
Start by powering it up in 1st. Get comfortable with that first. Then try clutching it in 1st. Get comfortable with that. Then try 2nd gear clutching it. All sit downs. I never tried stand ups. That is how I learned and seemed to work good for me.
i dont recommend anybody clutching first... its such a short gear that its too violent to control. but thats just me. be careful if u do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Originally posted by hoser



i dont recommend anybody clutching first... its such a short gear that its too violent to control. but thats just me. be careful if u do.
agreed. dont clutch up 1st unless you already know what your doing. comes up very fast and its very hard to control
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
1st off, LEARN YOUR BIKE! Newb's, be careful! Now, to answer the question. I can do 1st and 2nd gear sit downs, clutching it up. I can also do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear stand ups, powering it up. Although, both are pretty easy for me, standups, IMO are alot easier. I feel alot more control with stand ups..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
1) Learn your bike...
2) Power it up in 1st
3) try clutching it in 2nd, OR if you feel comftorble, stand up and just do a little bounce and accelerate...
4) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...

here's the main drawbacks... it all depends on what your more comftorble with, to me clutching is wilder and eats away at my tires faster, but some like it... i like the bounce method just because it's a little easier to balance standing than it is sitting down for me... the only thing is that standing does make the initial bounce kinda scary, but once u get over that you'll be fine. sitting down is pretty easy to, but requires a little more power since all of your weight is on the bike... but try both and see which is easier to you...

kow wee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
use clutch, bettert hen power ups or bouncing it i hate bouncing it got tank saper twice from that shit...clutch i really easy just takes practise, and most ppl learn sitdowns first but whateevre ur more comfortable with...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Take all this advice and try whatever you feel most comfortable with. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Have fun and be safe!
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
another vote for LEARN UR BIKE

i wasnt comfortable enough to try a wheelie until about 6 months after i started riding. even then it still scared me
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top