Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand and I'm looking into getting my first bike. I do have some riding experience in other places and I've test ridden my friends ER6N here in Thailand and I liked it. I'm currently looking at several models on Facebook market place but not sure what to choose.

I've dialed it down to basically 650R, Er6N, Z300 or Benelli TNT 300 due to all of these bikes being in the 50-65k baht range.

The 650R is from 2009 and has 25000 km on it. Goes for 54k baht. Looks pretty good except for the paint job.

The ER6N is from 09-11 (looking at two bikes) have 40000 km on it. Looks good but is high mileage an issue? Goes for 50k baht.

Z300 is from 2015 I believe and have around 30000 km on it. Goes for 53k baht.

Haven't had time to look at them but in general what are things to look for when buying these bikes second hand?

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

I'm in Bangkok, Thailand and I'm looking into getting my first bike. I do have some riding experience in other places and I've test ridden my friends ER6N here in Thailand and I liked it. I'm currently looking at several models on Facebook market place but not sure what to choose.

I've dialed it down to basically 650R, Er6N, Z300 or Benelli TNT 300 due to all of these bikes being in the 50-65k baht range.

The 650R is from 2009 and has 25000 km on it. Goes for 54k baht. Looks pretty good except for the paint job.

The ER6N is from 09-11 (looking at two bikes) have 40000 km on it. Looks good but is high mileage an issue? Goes for 50k baht.

Haven't had time to look at them but in general what are things to look for when buying these bikes second hand?

Thank you
650R is better with no reason

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
442 Posts
Hello!

Thank you
Depends on what you intend to do with the bike, the ER6N is a very good platform for city and country riding, better than the 650R (ER6F) imo, but if you do even a moderate amount of motorways the F is better for the wind protection. The N is also easier to work on. If you're not after power the 2015 Z300 is an excellent bike, had one myself and it's great, only thing is it's a little unstable at speed, so once again, comes back to your riding circumstances. Imo you can't go wrong with the 650s though, bulletproof engine. What i'd look for is any sign of rust on the steel frame, and dry rot on rubber components (hoses, o-rings, sleeves) Apart from that, if it runs it's good to go for ages. Mine is still in top condition at 85000km

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on what you intend to do with the bike, the ER6N is a very good platform for city and country riding, better than the 650R (ER6F) imo, but if you do even a moderate amount of motorways the F is better for the wind protection. The N is also easier to work on. If you're not after power the 2015 Z300 is an excellent bike, had one myself and it's great, only thing is it's a little unstable at speed, so once again, comes back to your riding circumstances. Imo you can't go wrong with the 650s though, bulletproof engine. What i'd look for is any sign of rust on the steel frame, and dry rot on rubber components (hoses, o-rings, sleeves) Apart from that, if it runs it's good to go for ages. Mine is still in top condition at 85000km
Great info! The reason I'm leaning to buying the 650R/ER6n is because they're basically the same price if not cheaper than the newer 2015 z300. But maybe I'd appreciate the nimbleness of the z300 in Bangkok traffic?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
442 Posts
Great info! The reason I'm leaning to buying the 650R/ER6n is because they're basically the same price if not cheaper than the newer 2015 z300. But maybe I'd appreciate the nimbleness of the z300 in Bangkok traffic?
Not much difference imo, the Z300 is nippy enough to be fun, the ER6N is a fair bit heavier but still a slim bike. Off the line the 600s are faster and get slightly better of everything (sus, brakes, power) it is up to you. Depends on how long you intend to keep the same bike too.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
442 Posts
I got the 2009 650R! Drove it home yesterday no issues. Any tips on maintenance or other things I should look out for when owning this bike?
As I mentioned take care of the paint on the frame and especially the swingarm to prevent rust, check bearings regularly, and clean callipers regularly, the seals arent particularly amazing on these Tokicos and if you leave it too late they can became really sticky and a proper pain. Apart from that, just your regular maintenance, oil, filters, chain+sprockets, tyres, brake pads and discs, fork oil is worthwhile doing as it's probably never been done and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello!

Thank you
ER6N is a great bike and as long as you change oil and filter regularly they will literally last for ever. Not kidding, 200,000 km is easily possible. Take no notice of those who say that's too much, IT REALLY ISN'T I'm now 72 and been riding since 13 and now ride a Ninja ZX9R so I really do know what I'm talking about. Look after it and it will give you years of good service. TRULY. So relax, enjoy the bike and welcome to the brotherhood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts