Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on '01 zx-6R and my tires suck, I dont even know what they are. Some guys swear by the Michelin Power pilots adn others by the Dunlop Qualifiers. So which tires are better. I know the michelins cost more, but thats not an issue. Also I want better cornering...so for the back tire ... a 180 or a 190???

·
Registered
648 Posts
If your tires "suck" now, you will be happy with either tire. They are both really good. My friends have the qualifiers and swear by them. (The one guy rides harder than I ever would on the street).I have the powers and love them. I have about 2000 miles on them and they look half worn. Get the 180. The 190 on your stock rim will deformm a bit and handling will suffer. There is a graphic from sport rider (i think) that shows and explains that. I can't find it now though. I'll keep looking

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would go with michelin pilot powers. I got them on my bike and the difference is huge. Qualifiers are also good but from what I hear they only last about 3-4k and mpp last 5-6k.

·
Registered
129 Posts
im running the qualifiers right now and im loving them, but yes ive also heard they last only about 5k mi, but it's the cost of the performance. flicking the bike side to side is effortless and i find the feedback from these tires is astounding. as far as size, the bike feels real nice with a 180 on there, moreso than with the 170. however, with the bigger tire you have to keep clearances in mind. with the 180, the tire is starting to get pretty close to the chain, with the 190 the chain may chew up the one side of the tire.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I wouldn't get the 190. Not enough gain, besides the rubber compound on the Pilot Power will stick plenty with a 180 on the back. I'd keep the front a 120/65. The bike was designed with these sizes in mind. It'll feel "heavier" when steering with a 70 series on the front. I haven't tried the Dunlop Qualifiers, but I put on the Pilot Powers and it felt like a totally different animal in the turns and the rain.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
im running teh pirelli diablo's and i absolutly love them. Great grip and great life

·
Registered
295 Posts
+1 on the diablo's...I've ran bridgestone, dunlop, and pirelli...The pirelli's in my opinion have the best grip as of yet. Michelins are in a league of their own though...

The diablo strada, is a sport touring tire. So it has more lifetime without compromising stick. Love 'em so far.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I am running Powers after a flat on the stockers. I love them... and have heard that the qualifiers and powers are comparable tires (but the powers are a little better).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by HerShe
I have on '01 zx-6R and my tires suck, I dont even know what they are. Some guys swear by the Michelin Power pilots adn others by the Dunlop Qualifiers. So which tires are better. I know the michelins cost more, but thats not an issue. Also I want better cornering...so for the back tire ... a 180 or a 190???
Another episode in the great tire controversy:D I had Dunlops that lasted about 3600 miles. I now have Michelin Pilot Powers. IMO if you want better cornering go with the Michelins. As for changing to tire sizes other than OEM I wouldn't suggest it. KHI engineers put a certain size tires on the bike for a certain reasons. IMO changing to tire sizes other than OEM could upset the geomentry of the bike. Good luck, Ride Safe.

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63083

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Dunlop that i just replace today lasted 5k..thats with a few tiny burnouts and wheelies ALOT..so could of pulled 7k if you rode to an inch wide(belt strip) like i did..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well I can speak for a 120/70 front tire... that is what they put on my bike. It hasn't upset anything, and actually the bike turns quicker going that route.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Why do the burnout and wheelie kids even care what tires they have?

You can burn flat spots and have chicken strips an inch wide on the stock Dunslop 208s or any other comparable rag. Or head down to your local race shop and buy some take offs. It'll save you money and for what you're using the tires for, you'll never notice the difference.

For the rest of you that actually ride your motorcycles as they were intended, the Pilot Powers, Qualifiers and Continental Sport Attacks are all good tires. The differences in them are more preference than performance. There isn't a Pirelli out there that gives you the same profile, and that's what matters ... traction at maximun lean. But, then again, if you aren't doing track days, it still isn't all that important.

·
Registered
840 Posts
And another thing, if you think you know more than the Kawasaki engineers and spend millions a year on R&D on tire profiles and fit like the tire manufacturers do, then maybe you know something more about what tires should fit what rims and what bike for the best handling. But since I doubt that, just run what the factory recommends. If a 180 came on it, replace it with a 180. If a 190 was better, it would already be on there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
well all that being said i cant help you on which tire but changing the size could help or hurt your handleing. I prefere the 120/70 on the front, I KNOW kawi spent millions on figuring out what size tire to use but for ME the 70 FEELS better, and bottom line is what I am MOST confodent with. SO all that being said its really a preference, I prefere the feedback and good grip i get from the quailfiers. I would also consider if you are going to change sizes to buy take off and try the different sizes to find the right profile to fit your lean/turn style. hope that helps

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by metricdevil
And another thing, if you think you know more than the Kawasaki engineers and spend millions a year on R&D on tire profiles and fit like the tire manufacturers do, then maybe you know something more about what tires should fit what rims and what bike for the best handling. But since I doubt that, just run what the factory recommends. If a 180 came on it, replace it with a 180. If a 190 was better, it would already be on there.
BRAVO I totally agree with you.[:M86]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.