Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a test ride after servicing my bike (oil, rear alignment and chain tensioning). I noticed a whine most noticeable at aprox. 20- 55 mph. It is most noticeable when throttling down and coasting, but I think only because there is less exhaust noise. This is the first time I have messed with the alignment/tensioning of chain, and am wondering if this is a symptom of getting it too tight.

The chain feels tight to me..... but I can move it up and down withing the specs the manual states. This is a new sound for the bike, and it seems to come from the sprocket.

I am absolutely, positively sure it is not the famous gas tank whine, I have had that before and am very familiar with that issue.... this is not that.

I need to have this resolved before work in the morning (I don't have a car anymore), so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I just got back from a test ride after servicing my bike (oil, rear alignment and chain tensioning). I noticed a whine most noticeable at aprox. 20- 55 mph. It is most noticeable when throttling down and coasting, but I think only because there is less exhaust noise. This is the first time I have messed with the alignment/tensioning of chain, and am wondering if this is a symptom of getting it too tight.

The chain feels tight to me..... but I can move it up and down withing the specs the manual states. This is a new sound for the bike, and it seems to come from the sprocket.

I am absolutely, positively sure it is not the famous gas tank whine, I have had that before and am very familiar with that issue.... this is not that.

I need to have this resolved before work in the morning (I don't have a car anymore), so any help is appreciated.
you need to check your minimum chain tension in several places throughout it's travel... the more the better. I use 1" as my minimum guide. what is your travel after adjustment?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_measure_chain_slack?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh... I don't have the exact number, but it was probably a little tighter than 1" as the min. I just loosened it up and am about to go on another ride.

I did see some wear on the plastic ridge piece between the chain and swing-arm(which is new and probably from my last test). How on earth could that have happened?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Ahhh... I don't have the exact number, but it was probably a little tighter than 1" as the min. I just loosened it up and am about to go on another ride.

I did see some wear on the plastic ridge piece between the chain and swing-arm(which is new and probably from my last test). How on earth could that have happened?
how loose was the chain before you adjusted it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't take an exact measurment... I pretty much put it close to what it was. By your description of how you do it, it probably wasn't very bad. The manuals are pretty poor.... actually sound a little on the tighter end.

I'm off for a check, be back in a bit with a report.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Back from my second test ride....
It is better, but it is still there. I can't be positive, but I THINK it had to warm up first. I wonder if the axle is a wee bit tight (I did use a torque wrench, but don't know how well it is calibrated).

Here is another idea: I have been trying to get the sprocket nut off to change +1 tooth, but haven't been able to get it off. I bent the washer back, so I could turn the nut... but it is just too tight. I gave it another shot today, but am wondering if the nut could actually be tighter from riding the bike and not rebending the washer to hold it in place. If this is the case, it would have pulled the sprocket closer to the body, thereby changing the chain alignment..... but upon inspection, if this really happened, it only moved about a thread. This may be reaching, but I am trying t figure this out.

One more idea: Since I changed the wheel alignment a slight bit (really slight), and the tire was used to the old position, I am wondering if it may be more tire noise than anything....

Well, these are some theories, but this whine is driving me crazy! I am going to go loosen it a touch more and test again.

EDIT: just got back from another test (loosened axle a hair and tweaked alignment a hair as well). No change.
It occured to me that the last time I rode, prior to todays maintainance, was my first day in the rain (day before). Could the whine be a result of some lube washing away?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Yeah that'll happen if the chain is too tight. I prefer to keep my chain a little on the loose side if anything! By the looks of the chain in the picture it looks really tight! It should almost rest on the chain guide. That and have you lubed the chain lately? It'll help to lube it up as well

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that'll happen if the chain is too tight. I prefer to keep my chain a little on the loose side if anything! By the looks of the chain in the picture it looks really tight! It should almost rest on the chain guide. That and have you lubed the chain lately? It'll help to lube it up as well
Yes, I lubed it as well today.
I'll go loosen it a touch again.... I am begining to think I never needed to tighten it in the first place.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as a rule, too loose, is BETTER than too tight.

That is good to know now.

I just got back from ANOTHER test run.... I think it is fixed now. I'll take a pic in a bit. I think it is looser than it was when I started. But I HAD to tinker!

Reactions: VeX

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey headshrink,

can you describe the whine a little bit more. After the rain, too, I think I'm hearing the same thing. I can definitely tell the sound is form behind me and it sounds like the chain to me. I wouldn't really call it a whine but maybe a high pitched vibration sound or something? I pulled over and the chain seemed pretty good though... Does my sound sound the same as the sound you had?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
hey headshrink,

can you describe the whine a little bit more. After the rain, too, I think I'm hearing the same thing. I can definitely tell the sound is form behind me and it sounds like the chain to me. I wouldn't really call it a whine but maybe a high pitched vibration sound or something? I pulled over and the chain seemed pretty good though... Does my sound sound the same as the sound you had?:rolleyes:
how many miles since you last lubed your chain?

·
Registered
60 Posts
the last service was done at the 500m mark. bike has 1300 miles now, but i don't know if they even did it then! I checked tonight the tension with my glove on, so I couldn't check the lube!:p Do it in the morning.. But its funny, because it happens at the same time he described it, when the engine was slowing down no throttle and during downshifting. hm. let you know

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
kkim's a wise fellow. He actually READ your post and probably spotted this...
After the rain, too, I think I'm hearing the same thing.
It didn't make the sound, and then after riding in rain it's making noise? Water has the tendency to wash things such as lubricant off of chains :p

Don't wait for the dealer to lube the chain, do it early and do it often! A lot of people lube their chains every time they wash their bikes (While you're cleaning the bike, why not clean the chain and re-lube it)?:D

edit: Damn kkim must've taken his geritol today. He beat me to the punch ;)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
edit: Damn kkim must've taken his geritol today. He beat me to the punch ;)
actually, playing with green bottles... which really slows me down. :D you're just gettin older yoursef' there young in'.

and before anyone asks... Maxima Chain Wax. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
actually, playing with green bottles... which really slows me down. :D you're just gettin older yoursef' there young in'.

and before anyone asks... Maxima Chain Wax. :p
He also beat me to it, too, Vex.

Thanks everyone, look at it tomorrow.

Headshrink, is it all good after you loosened it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm good after loosening it. I'm off for work in a bit, and will know for sure then. My last test last night went well.... with no whine I believe.

Chain lube wasn't part of the equation for me, since it was freshly lubed the whole time. The reason I referenced rain was I thought maybe it took out lube from the axle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is now 2 days later, and the whining hasn't returned, so I'm thinking this issue is now closed (I hope).

Lesson learned = triple check everything the owners manual says, because it is up for interpretation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i went to get some chain lube in the morning and it didn't make the sound all of a sudden. The chain seems lubed to me! Bought it anyways though. worl may never know:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts