Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 ZX6R. I noticed that when the engine is hot, I get a whistling noise from my gas tank. When I release the pressure from the tank, the noise goes away. The noise continues when the pressure builds back up or until the engine cools down. I took it back to the dealership where I bought it. Basically, they told me that every Ninja has done this, since the beginning of time. Is this normal? Is this true? Does anybody else have this problem?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Its not even a problem, its a good thing :)
You do not want a ton of pressure building up inside the tank. If you were to leave the fuel on, and the pressure built up, it could force the fuel into the carbs and flood them.

So the noise is a good thing :)
Spooked me the first time I heard it too.. hehehe

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a 04 636 and just noticed this today, but my bike was just sitting there and was not turned on....Is this normal??/

·
Registered
486 Posts
well it should happen whenever the pressure builds up... easier for pressure to build up on a hot day + riding... but it can build up from just sittin out in the sun on a hot day...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
My EX250 did it when I'd been out ridin' or left it sitting out in the hot sun. I kept hearing it and thinking something was wrong till I figured out what it was... after that I never gave it another thought.

·
Registered
464 Posts
my zx10 does the same thing. After a ride when i turn t off I hear it and if I open the gas lid it goes away. Just venting nothing else..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.