Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking this is a pretty schmick helmet, plus it fits my head. While I'm looking at it and thinking I'll buy it the salesguy comes over and we chat, I tell him I'll be taking the helmet on track and he tells me the current (in store now) GP Pros have a whistle if you turn your head when doing more then about 120 kph. What the...? I appreciated his honesty but am now wondering what to do... really like the helmet but whistling would be crap. Anybody got one of these? Do they indeed... whistle?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Whether a helmet whistles or not depends on a lot of things.

I took an Arai Quantum for a test ride once (Sshhh, I'm not supposed to tell anyone) and it whistled at about 70-80kmh. I then bought an Arai RX-7RR111 which does not whistle at all. People have told me that the RX-7 whistles with the normal visor on, but not with the race visor (which is on mine), and while I have since bought a standard visor, I have yet to use it to see whether it whistles or not. I tend to think it won't.

It could also be simply due to the shape of the wearers head.

My Shoei X-8 Air sometimes (on rare occasions) whistles when I'm looking straight ahead, but not when I turn my head slightly to either side. I still don't know why it does it, but it only happens about 1% of the time I wear it, so I'm not too fussed. It's to do with the visor though, because if I open the visor, the whistling stops.

Everyone is different, and what whistles on someone else may not whistle on you. And in conclusion: How often do you ride along at 120+kmh with your head pointing in a different direction to where you're travelling?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

bsgesch - I guess it would sing an arai (spelling) I mean an aria... :D

Nigel - 120 plus through the first corner at Eastern Creek no probs... Thinking "any" distraction at that point is not good. With the AGV it's prob the airvent levers which actually stick up from the top of the helmet by about 5mm?!?

Anybody else worn one of these things?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Fair enough. I was just thinking in the whole scheme of things, but you're right about distractions through turn one at The Creek.

I still think it's most likely to be due to something fairly flush with the exterior of the helmet. Sticky-up bits make noise, but they don't seem to cause whistling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.