Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody ventured out of state to buy a new bike cause it was alot cheaper?? i havnt looked around here in UT too much but it looks like new 6r's are going for alot over $8k... i see on cycletrader.com though some places like TX and OR and some other states out east have them for under $7k...pros would be savings obvously but any major cons??? or is it worth it to just pay some extra at a good local dealer?? so what im cheap [:p]

·
Registered
239 Posts
i live in north carolina and drove to ohio to pick up my bike. the dealers here were asking full retail, but i was willing to make the drive b/c i was able to pick it up for 7k. it was very much worth the 10 hour each way trip to save $1000.

it was actually not too bad, b/c i was so excited to get there and get my bike then so excited to get on it when i got home. just make sure you bring some people with you to swith driving shifts, lotsa cds, snacks, and a radar detector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.. how did you get it home and how long did the whole process take?? im just alittle paranoide about driving/flying out to the bike and on close expection and ride looks/feel fine, then get it home and have problems with it.. would i have to deal with any problems through original dealer or could i just get a local place to pick me up? thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you are buying a brand new bike, why would it have problems when you get it home? Besides, even if it does, you just take it to the local Kawasaki shop, and get it worked on under the wonderful warrantee.

Best way to pick up a bike is to either drive up with a truck, van or car with a trailer attached. Trailers are ALOT easier to load than the bed of a pickup truck. You can rent an open bed 5*9 trailer with tie-down rings for under $25 a day at U-Haul. Check your car and bike insurance policies to see if you already have rental vehicle coverage. Mine do, and the coverage came included with the insurance.

BC.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought from out of state. The dealer shipped it to me. If they haven't unpacked it from the crate yet it's easier for them to do. I think the trick is that they call it a "motorcycle part" instead of a motorcycle. I think it cost around $400 but I'm not sure.

The company that shipped it was http://www.overnite.com/ maybe they could give you a quote.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i trailored it back. bladecutter said it all pretty well. i just borrowed a trailor from a friend. and w/ my bike, i just take it to a local dealer for servicing and if i were to have any problems under warranty, i would take it there.

as far as shipping it goes, it cost me a little less than $150 in gas round trip to get my bike. and my boyfriend was buying one as well, so by the time we split the gas bill, it only cost us approx $75 a piece to get our bikes home vs. $400 each in shipping.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You might want to try Duff Shelly down in American Fork. I purchased a Z1K from them and it was lots cheaper than anywhere else here in UT.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I drove to ohio from NY. Granted my bike was used, just make sure the title and all that junk is taken care of. Each state has its own little loopholes. Ohio titles had to be notorized upon transfer. So ask the dealer if there is anything special to out of state titling.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Which state do you pay tax in? Is it in the state you bought it, or the state you license it?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
You pay taxes in both if there is a difference in the tax rate.For instance I bought my bike in Fl. where the tax was 4% but when I registered it in Ga. where the tax is 7%(in my county) I had to pay the additional 3%. Still cheaper than buying it here. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
well, that sux. I would have thought that you could get away from taxes (yeah right) if you bought out of state. Kind of like if you buy something on the internet out of state, just as long as that company doesn't have a presence in your state, you don't get taxed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All dealers in my area were sticking to their guns at $7999 msrp.
Dealer in Oakland, CA was posting on ebaymotors.com (IIRC) for $7100 for 2004 ZX6R.
That's 11 hour ride from my house.
I printed their ad from the website.
I found dealer in Ontario, CA willing to match price. They are 4 hour ride.
They would even pick me up at the airport and drive me to the dealership for me to pick up the bike and ride it home.

I walked into local dealer during a lunch break one Wednesday. Showed the salesman the printed ad. Told him I had beaucoup free airline tickets on southwest through my frequent flyer miles. I told him that I had $7800 in CASH in my pocket. I told him that if he didn't have me OUT THE DOOR at $7800 or less within the 30 minutes I had left to get back to work, that I was on the first plane on Friday to CA and he'd never see me again for a bike or for parts. I walked around and browsed the other bikes while I waited for his answer and to hopefully produce some papers. I was openly armed since I was carrying so much cash on me. Within 15 minutes he called me over to the table to sign.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
what about registration? wouldn't you have to do it again if it is out of state? so you end up paying it twice?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
You register your bike in your state of residence which is why I had to pay an additional 3% tax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.