Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sportbikes rock!
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback as to who has seen/done a complete front end swap from another bike (a non-Ninja 250) onto the 1988-2007 Ninja 250 [United States model]. What have you seen/done?
  • the swap has to be to something that is fully externally adjustable: spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping [this should imply that it is a front end from a ZX-6R, ZZR600, CBR600Fxx, CBR600RR, R1, R6 or GSX-R, etc.]
  • the above should then also imply that they are cartridge type forks
  • they can be conventional or upside down
I am interested in this for my wife's 250 for several reasons:
  • to add adjustability
  • allow running modern rubber in the form of a 120/70-17 (I am also looking into rear wheel swaps too)
I am not necessarily looking for a complete "bolt-on" kit (although that would be great but I doubt it exists). I understand that there will probably be some custom fabrication as part of the project.

I would probably ditch one of the rotors & calipers but these are details for later.

What did you do/see for the speedometer?

Someone has had to have done this, right?

·
Sportbikes rock!
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sell her ninja and buy a 08-11 ninja
save your self hassle and time

A 2008-11 Ninja 250 however does not provide a fully adjustable front/rear suspension. So it would not solve the root issues.

A front swap is not that big of a deal. The main fabrication portion of the project should be to get a Ninja 250 steering stem onto the donor lower clamp. Other than that, it should not be that painful.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A 2008-11 Ninja 250 however does not provide a fully adjustable front/rear suspension. So it would not solve the root issues.

A front swap is not that big of a deal. The main fabrication portion of the project should be to get a Ninja 250 steering stem onto the donor lower clamp. Other than that, it should not be that painful.
Why do you need all of that adjustability on a 250? Getting the right springs would be a start and probably all you really need. Is she tracking this 250 pretty hardcore? I don't understand what the NEED is for this

·
Sportbikes rock!
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you need all of that adjustability on a 250? Getting the right springs would be a start and probably all you really need. Is she tracking this 250 pretty hardcore? I don't understand what the NEED is for this
I do not wish to get into justifying why I want to do this - forums are opinionated enough - I was just looking for facts. Having a fully adjustable front and rear suspension has a lot of advantages, but again, this is my opinion, and I do not care to get into that side of it.

The bike is pretty underdamped in stock form. Adding stiffer springs only would just amplify the negative effects of the poor rebound damping. If you change springs, you should also change the damping circuits, and a stiffer spring should need more rebound damping.

No worries though, if I am not able to get the information here, I can just work out the details on my own.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
As far as modern rubber goes you can swap to the 08-present wheels. Enough companies are making decent tires to fit the newer bikes.

Sent from my Mobile Whoring Device.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well if you're not offering advice I don't see any NEED for you to speak at all. Especially about somebody else's choices on their bike. And I know that this thread and idiot to which I speak of may not ever see this reply. But if there is a God, i pray the he read it to him wherever (the funkiller/mod nazi troll) the rock hes underneath may be. There had to vent for a sec. I thought this site and others like it were for like-minded individuals to share information. Not to criticize and attempt to discourage. Hope you all have a wonderful day ride safe keep the rubber side down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts