Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
what's a jumper mod?

·
Registered
585 Posts
techinally i havent but have...i actually bought that deal which is a sweet lil getup, but when i went to go install it i had noticed that sumthing that looked just like it was alrdy installed from the factory. which i assume is because i bought a malasian spec bike while station overseas. so now i have the one i bought laying around, sumwhere around here lol. the Japanese dealer i bought my bike from said malasian spec is the full power bike, so i assume euro spec. i still wonder if i put it on if will make a difference or not

·
Registered
57 Posts
for the record Iv done the jumper mod. But technically isnt the jumper mod useless if you've removed you exhaust butterfly valve anyway. Is that really all the jumper mod does is noise control?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for the record Iv done the jumper mod. But technically isnt the jumper mod useless if you've removed you exhaust butterfly valve anyway. Is that really all the jumper mod does is noise control?
The jumper mod benefits anyone with or without the exhaust butterfly.

Check out the Jumper Mod thread for more info.

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
From another thread.

None of anything is this thread is correct as to why the Kawi 6R was limited on top end.

It has to do with 1 thing and 1 thing ONLY.

United States EPA Noise testing.

EPA noise testing is done at the manufacters rated Peak HP divided by 1/2.

In other words, if the peak power of the engine is rated at 12,000 RPM's then the DOT does noise testing at 6000 RPM's.

So by limiting the top end of a bike from say 12,000 to 11,000, then noise testing is done at 5,500 RPM's. These #s are used for educational purposes only.

Then is why Kawasaki limited the top end of the US 6R from Euro specs whose noise testing is not as tight as the US. The Euro emission testing is a different cirtieria and the US bike meets both.

This has NOTHING to do with limiting top end speed, (laughable to think that a stock or lightly modded 600 could go past 186 with a jumper mod) or to prevent engine damage, or to lower the power to a different rider skill level.

It was designed so Kawi could reduce and "certify" the peak HP rating of the engine to the US EPA and thus pass noise testing at a lower RPM. If the Euro map was used Kawi would have to certify the engine with a higher Peak Horsepower RPM and thus noise testing at a higher RPM.

The exact same thing happened with the 08 HONDA 1KRR and when pressed Honda sent out a notice stating such.

Use Google, look it up. It clearly states that nosie testing on motorcycles that are certified for the USA is done at a RPM rating of 1/2 Peak HP.

By lowering the rated peak HP, the noise tesing is also lowered.

JJ
and

For the doubters, hera ya go,

Subpart E—Motorcycle Exhaust Systems :: PART 205--TRANSPORTATION EQUIPMENT NOISE EMISSION CONTROLS :: CHAPTER I--ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY :: Title 40 - Protection of Environment :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Jus

In a nutshell, a bikes peak power RPM as certified by the manufacterer divided by 1/2 is where noise testing is done. NOT 1/2 of a bikes actual redline as peak power is never at a bikes redline.

So by creating a US spec map, that lowers the RPM where peak power occurs, then the RPM where noise testing is done to certify the bike is lower.

A lower RPM makes less noise.

Kawi was kind enough to make a easy "work around" so called jumper mod, and then leak it out.

Again, nothing to do with durability of engines, limiting top speed, or to adjust power levels to skill levels.

To pass noise testing, pure and simple.

JJ

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I haven't done the jumper mod either.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
What?!! No jumper mod??

:eek:

Why not?
Ha ha. I guess because I don't have enough ZX6R bolted onto my ZZR. lol. And I don't know what the hell it does.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha ha. I guess because I don't have enough ZX6R bolted onto my ZZR. lol. And I don't know what the hell it does.

Pretty soon your ZZR will have more ZX6R parts than my ZX6R!!

:Laughing rolling:

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.