Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a bike from the shop. Don't know how to ride, but my dad rode back in the 70's. The dealer told me he would teach me how to ride. My dad said he should be the one to ride it home. I told him that the bikes are different than they were back in 70's. That this is a sportsbike and that you aren't as aware as you were back than. He hasn't even been on a regular bicycle in over 10 years. I think I should ride since I know my limit or maybe have the dealer ride it to my house. My dad may think it's the same old same old like his 70's street bike. I don't mind him riding but please not now. All I need is for him to drop it and have him get hurt. Than I'll be mad. Good job dad you broke it before I could use it.
Well tell me what you all think.

Drive it like you stole it

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I'd have the dealer deliver it...

My father used to ride, and when I got my old gixxer 750/1100, I let him take it for a spin to the end of the street and back..

He came back 5 min later with a scuffed up elbow and a cracked fairing :(
He was not used to the turning radius and simply fell over going about 1mph...

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would ride it . you going to have to get used to it sometime

"ON ONE WHEEL" [:p]

·
Registered
174 Posts
It had been a while since I'd ridden a bike plus I was sick the day I bought the bike (sleeplesness from laying awake at night trying to figure out how I was going to tell my wife, who by the way hates bikes!) anyway, the dealer was more than happy to have a salesman ride it to my house for me. I'm sure they would do the same for you as long as you don't live like 50 miles away or anything!

After it was at my house, then I could ride around the neighborhood untill I got comfortable on it. Only one problem, they rode it to my house on reserve, so up the main drag to the gas station my second day of ownership! Bike died in the turn lane across the intersection from the gas station, bone dry tank. I had to paddle walk it through the intersection to the station, bet I looked like an idiot.[:p]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
feel sorry for the whitmores. had that happen to me when I first got my 500r. It sucks to push it:(

"ON ONE WHEEL" [:p]

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would let the dealer deliver it if I were you. If you haven't ridden a bike yet.. getting it back to the house safely isn't the best time to learn. If you haven't taken the MSF course yet then be very careful until you put alot of practice hours on the bike. I suggest getting frame sliders for it and practice in a parking lot or enclosed area doing turning and stopping exercises. Speaking from experience.. the first time i lowsided my bike was 3 hours after I got it practicing in a parking lot. I got nervous when I accidently revved too high w/ the clutch pulled it and it scared the hell out of me..[:eek:)]

I need a girl to ride, ride, ride...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will probably ask the dealer to ride it back. But what if my dad starts getting slick and starts asking if he can take it out for joyrides? I'll let him ride it once or twice but that's it. What should I tell him that it's mine, that I paid for it, blah blah?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by thewhitmores

Only one problem, they rode it to my house on reserve, so up the main drag to the gas station my second day of ownership! Bike died in the turn lane across the intersection from the gas station, bone dry tank. I had to paddle walk it through the intersection to the station, bet I looked like an idiot.[:p]
Don't feel bad, that happened to me once on one of the busiest intersections in town here. Luckily I had reserve left to get her started again, but I still felt stupid with all the people yelling and the Japanese tourists taking pictures of my misfortune. [V]

Ken - Yellow '02

·
Registered
113 Posts
The first day that I got my bike, I ran it out of gas (rode around the block a couple of times). It died and I freaked out. It took me about 10 minutes before I figured out it was my gas and that I had a reserve. I guess everyone has to learn it somehow, I just learned it a little harder than I had to.

<div align="left">mo fo butta layin me to da bone, jackin me up</div id="left">

·
Registered
501 Posts
You are gonna bust it up sooner or later so ride the thing home.:D:D Should have bought something used to learn on but who listens to advice. If you are scared... get a dog!.[^] Just playing![:eek:)]

You might be nervous at first from being excited about the new bike so have someone you trust and who would be liable to pay for it if they dump it bring to da house. In short, have the dealer deliver it since they will be responsible. Or borrow a trailer/truck and bring it home.

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ride it home yourself if your a little confident. The first time I rode a motorcycle was the day I bought mine back in April. I bought a dirtbike to practice on around the house but that was it. I was a little scared about dropping it but I got home ok.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would have the dealer deliver the bike or get someone who knows how to ride to bring it home. Would be a shame to have it cracked up the first day.

Whitmore...I can feel for you...my wife hates motorcycles too...We own a small corner bar and the guys from the dealership when to have some food and drinks...they introduced themselves to my wife and she said "how nice, your the ones I have to blame" and walked away. It was rude but she really hates the bike. Hasn't slowed me down at all.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Better have the dealer deliver it! The first time i rode a bike period i threw her down the road [B)](only a DT50, my bro's bike)[:I], spent 10 min looking for the keys:(, pushed her home in discrace[:I] only to then find the keys jammed in the front cowling:(:(:(!!

End of the day make sure you get her home safely before riding her.

Sorry, I thought you could ride!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dealer said he would ride it and I would bring him back. It's better that way because there will be a lot of rush hour on Friday. The shop is about 12 miles away from where I live. I will just ride around my street, than take the MSF asap.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"The dealer said he would ride it and I would bring him back. It's better that way because there will be a lot of rush hour on Friday. The shop is about 12 miles away from where I live. I will just ride around my street, than take the MSF asap."

good plan...just becareful when you do ride it...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
418 Posts
The one thing which seperates you from a serious accident is either

A)Experience
or
B)Training

If you haven't got (A) get (B).
In the UK we had many accidents from people hopping on bikes with no experience and killing or seriously injuring themselves. This was compounded by lack of (good)advice about decent clothing (which you can get here[8D]).

Before you can ride any bike (even 50cc) in the UK, you must do a course called a CBT (compulsory basic training) irrespective of what other driving experience you have.
This enables you to ride up to 125cc from the age of 17.
You can at this point take a series of written,oral and practical tests to obtain a full license. This will enable you to ride a bike not exceeding 33bhp for 2 years and after which you can ride anything.

Alternatively after the age of 21 you can take a course of tests called Direct Access. This is basically the same as the other but is residential over the course of 1 week and is quite intensive.
After which you can ride anything providing you can insure it. Many peope in the UK go for this route.

This may sound a bit draconian and the tests are much more involved that the ones I took 20 years ago.

Cars have come along way since the model-T Ford in terms of passenger protection, but bikes haven't, and 'we' riders have to rely upon our wits and decent safety clothing to keep the brains in our head and the skin on our backs.

If my kid said 'I want to ride a 160mph supersports bike', I would be a hypocrite if I said no, but It would be conditional that they undertook a training course which gave them a chance of surviving more than the first week.

This is a true story which happened 6 months ago in my town.
A guy is in work one day, He's divorced but his 17 year old son is staying over, The father has a ZX6R and the son in his absence decided to have a ride around the parking lot of the fathers apartment block.
He isn't wearing a lid or any protective clothing and starts doing drag starts. He loses control, the bike skids, highsides and throws him into a parked car. He's killed instantly.
Too much power and not enough sense. You can get away with falling off a 50cc bike more easily because the power/weight is not much more than a bicycle, a 600 Ninja demands respect and will bite you hard if you don't give it.

Ride Safe:)

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by a007sniper

I will probably ask the dealer to ride it back. But what if my dad starts getting slick and starts asking if he can take it out for joyrides? I'll let him ride it once or twice but that's it. What should I tell him that it's mine, that I paid for it, blah blah?
Whatever you do, don't let your dad ride it before you do. If he even asks to do so before you start riding it, tell him that you want to be the first to ride it...for more than obvious reasons.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I did not even want the shop guys to ride the bike before me. But the salesman said they have to. Its just the way I am, I wanted to be the first to ride her.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Originally posted by csoto23

I did not even want the shop guys to ride the bike before me. But the salesman said they have to. Its just the way I am, I wanted to be the first to ride her.

You obviously havent seen how they test them before they leave the factory then[:0].

I would much rather that the Mechanic fell off because he forgot something than me.

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.