Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who wants a digital speedo(w/ healer)?

Anyone interested in a digital speedometer? I just finished building the first prototype last week. I'm going to add some other features like 0-60 timer and 1/4 mile timer, maybe some other features... If there is enough interest, I could build a few extra when I order my next round of PCB's. It consists of 3 7-segment displays mounted ontop of the gauge cluster and taps into the signal from the speed sensor.

·
Registered
952 Posts
post up some pics/videos or something

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Anyone interested in a digital speedometer? I just finished building the first prototype last week. I'm going to add some other features like 0-60 timer and 1/4 mile timer, maybe some other features... If there is enough interest, I could build a few extra when I order my next round of PCB's. It consists of 3 7-segment displays mounted ontop of the gauge cluster and taps into the signal from the speed sensor.
What bike is it for?
More details?

I know you can swap the 00-02 speedo for the digital 636 one, although the temp won't read unless you re-tap it I believe. Is this makeshift 636 speedo or?

If it'd work with the 00-02 ZX6R's I'd be interested in one for sure...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is for the zzr or 00-02 zx6. It is in the early stages of development. It is a add-on module, not like the 636 gauge replacement. It seems like you guys are interested so I will continue work on it. Id say it would be at least a month or two before I could send out finished products as I still have to code the 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer features, design the pcb for it and so on. It functions perfectly as a digital speedometer, but my original idea was to make a 0-60 timer.

My main goal was to see if there was enough interest on here to keep working on it past the initial prototype. Right now it is only programmed for stock sprocket and tire size, but I might also make that adjustable. It also removes the factory error in the speed reading. How important is the 0-60 and 1/4 timer functions to you? If all you want is the digital speedo, it could be ready earlier.

I dont think Im going to include rpm or temp at this time because it will just take longer to develop, and this is designed to be an addon to the original gauge cluster. Any input on features related to the speed/distance timing would be appreciated, and ill see what I can do to include them. Maybe Ill make it so the firmware is upgradable so we can add new features later. Ill keep you guys posted with updates...

All it takes to hook-up is three wires coming out the back of the gauge cluster: power, ground, and the speed sensor wire. Ill try to take some pictures of the prototype tomorrow.

-Jacob

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is for the zzr or 00-02 zx6. It is in the early stages of development. It is a add-on module, not like the 636 gauge replacement. It seems like you guys are interested so I will continue work on it. Id say it would be at least a month or two before I could send out finished products as I still have to code the 0-60 and 1/4 mile timer features, design the pcb for it and so on. It functions perfectly as a digital speedometer, but my original idea was to make a 0-60 timer.

My main goal was to see if there was enough interest on here to keep working on it past the initial prototype. Right now it is only programmed for stock sprocket and tire size, but I might also make that adjustable. It also removes the factory error in the speed reading. How important is the 0-60 and 1/4 timer functions to you? If all you want is the digital speedo, it could be ready earlier.

I dont think Im going to include rpm or temp at this time because it will just take longer to develop, and this is designed to be an addon to the original gauge cluster. Any input on features related to the speed/distance timing would be appreciated, and ill see what I can do to include them. Maybe Ill make it so the firmware is upgradable so we can add new features later. Ill keep you guys posted with updates...

All it takes to hook-up is three wires coming out the back of the gauge cluster: power, ground, and the speed sensor wire. Ill try to take some pictures of the prototype tomorrow.

-Jacob
good idea...im interested as well

·
Premium Member
470 Posts

-Jacob
I have no interest in a 0-60 or 1/4 mile timer.

I'm far more interested in a corrected digital speedo reading, and if possible, digital gear reading. Of course if there was a digital RPM reading that'd be nice.. One step at a time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wouldn't care about 1/4 mile, but the 0-60 would be cool...

I also would like to see an RPM, and Temp included, but if its just adding on instead of replacing I guess that those aren't needed...

And what kind of price tag are we looking at? If its cheaper/close to the 636 swap, then that would be perfect, but if its more,then I don't see the point in spending extra.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is a troll guys. that's why there is no pics.
wrong...ive been busy with school the past few days. its for real, ill get pics of the prototype tomorrow for sure. not sure on the price yet, but it will be much more affordable and more accurate than the 636 swap. hang in there....its gonna be sweet

·
Registered
101 Posts
here's the real deal they have been out for awhile. you can get everything rpm,mph,fuel gauge and other stuff.
http://www.veypor.com/

nothing against you guy i'm sure you are comeing up with something really cool. maybe you could buy one of there and just take it apart and make something cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
nothing against you guy i'm sure you are comeing up with something really cool. maybe you could buy one of there and just take it apart and make something cool.
Nothing against you guy either, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I spend 300$ to buy *their* crap to take apart to build something else?...ok no. Why would someone spend $300 on the veypor, which is pretty cool, when they could spend $50 on a just a digital speedo? Maybe if you don't have anything useful to say, don't post anything.

For all those who are not impatient... here are the pics of the prototype. The first pic shows a connector that splices into the wiring harness behind the gauge cluster. This connects power and the speed sensor signal to the speedometer. On the finished model, this connector will be much smaller. This is so the unit can be removed from the bike. The next pic shows the unit on, showing 5mph as I spun the back wheel. Brightness can be adjusted to several levels for day/night riding. The next three pictures show the prototype circuit. The final unit will be one single board, no bigger than three of the 7-segment displays next to each other. It will be very small. All the current parts will be replaced with very small surface mount parts and a smaller processor will be used. It will also have 3 digits of display instead of the prototype's 2 digit display. Keep in mind these were just parts I had laying around when I built this. The finished model will be an extremely professional/commercial looking product. Please, ask any relevant questions and thanks to those who could actually wait a few days for pics ;)

-Jacob

Attachments

1 - 20 of 150 Posts