Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going with full leathers for the street.No more of just the leather jacket and Sidi boots with the jeans (and of course helmet and gloves).Who else wears them?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
[:M93]

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
We all should, you know? It's a very dangerous sport and street riding is mostly defensive riding. It's a hassle to deal with all the gear which is probably the reason most of us don't wear it. I now always ride with my a* jacket and jeans minimum. I don't have gloves (I should and will) and helmets are required which I'd wear anyway if they weren't. Full leathers? No, I couldn't commit to that full time. If anything, I'd have them just for the long Sunday rides up in the mountains.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I have to agree. I usually have my Joe Rocket leather jacket and jeans when I'm just "going somewhere". If my buddy and I are going for a "ride" I'll have my jacket, riding pants (textile) and sidi boots. Oh yeah, and helmets are a must here in NY

·
Registered
399 Posts
hell no i get too hot.i only wear my suit when roll to the canyon or the track. other wise tshirt, shorts and some sneaks [:M55]

·
Registered
65 Posts
90% of the time yes, 1 piece, gloves, Daytona boots. I've been broken too many times to mess around. If it is too hot i don't ride, sometimes an in town short trip like down to tim hortons I'll just wear mesh jacket boots and gloves, also have two piece for cruiser night.

·
Registered
205 Posts
1-piece when riding the canyons or track...jacket, gloves, jeans, and boots when on the street...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I usually only ride in the canyons, so I wear my 1-piece any time I'm doing that. If I'm going to hang out and there's not going to be a ride afterward (which rarely happens), then I'll go with the jacket, jeans, boots, etc. setup.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jeans wont protect you from anything in a crash though, unless they're the draggin jeans or a similar brand with kevlar, or reconstructed specially for riding jeans. I definitely would ride with full gear! but we will see if my laziness kicks in!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by KarenaLei
Jeans wont protect you from anything in a crash though, unless they're the draggin jeans or a similar brand with kevlar, or reconstructed specially for riding jeans. I definitely would ride with full gear! but we will see if my laziness kicks in!
That's not entirely true. Besides, it's different on paper, and in real life. It has very little to do with being lazy, for me.. it's more about the convenience factor.

I used to ALWAYS gear up to the fullest extent that I could (the limitation only being how many pieces of gear I actually had, which was limited by the amount of money I had available to spend).. I'd always wear my jacket, gloves, helmet, and jeans when I'd go out anywhere on the bike, despite the temperature, and regardless of whether or not it was redlight to redlight. I'd be dripping sweat by the time I got to where I was headed, and it was always embarassing and a nuisance to say the least. Dripping sweat. Embarassing!

Sadly, I must admit that lately I have not been wearing my jacket the majority of the time unless it's very early morning or very late night.. in fact, to sum that up quite easily, I haven't been wearing my jacket much at all lately unless I was going out to ride hard. To work, no, I haven't been wearing anything more than helmet and gloves. Do I realize that's bad? Yes. It's even to the point where sometimes I haven't been wearing my precious gloves. I love my gloves, but they're getting holes in them due to age and use and I cannot find anything I'm happy with to replace them with. They're the old Joe Rocket Phoenix II's that they don't make anymore. So comfy! They're the old carbon fiber knuckles before they went to the extremely uncomfortable plastic knuckles; Gah, I hate all the gloves I've tried on lately!

...anyway, moral of the story, I need new gear. I need gear that ventilates better so that I don't have so much of an excuse not to wear it. That's the only reason I rarely wear my stuff anymore. No, I don't want to leave my skin on the pavement. Yes, I do want to ride to work. No, I do not want to arrive at my place of employment dripping sweat and stinking like ass. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Vanson Pro-perf's this time of year.

If you look under the left clip-on,under the black plastic inner fairing pce,on a ZX6 theres a little cubby hole.I keep a very lite rain jacket rolled up tight stuffed in there.Its perfect for rain up to med. hard.The best part though is that it's always with the bike.

Another pce of gear is a Gerbing's elec. jacket.Used in conjuction with the Pro-perfs,its perfect this time of year here in the mnts.The temp swings from 50's-60's in the am,then gets into upper 80's,then back cooler when Sun goes down.

At the risk of sounding like a dad......Young riders don't put near enough attention on gear and tools.Bikes come and go,its that simple.But your gear and especially tools are gonna stay with you a long long time.I still use a really nice chain breaker purchased in the early 70's,along with every other concievable mechanics tool.Still usin a carb tune bought in the 70's.Gear's a little different cause it wears out,thats mainly helmets and boots.But quality jackets like Vansons will last more than 20 years.I still have a leather Kawasaki labeled jacket and pants from the late 70's.My kids wear the jacket now,its been repaired a few times but is still plebty servicable.You can find good used leathers on the cheap.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
875 Posts
I always wear gear. Don't have full leathers, but I wear my leather jacket, gloves, helmet, and textile overpants whenever I ride. Jacket and pants both have hard knee, elbow, & shoulder armor, and a CE back protector in the jacket.
Esp as a new rider, I always want something between me and the road in the unfortunate event that I meet it.

I need to get some boots, but for now I wear timberlands. At least they are leather and cover my ankle, but I know riding boots would be much better.

Anyone have any good recommendations? I've been thinking of the sidi strada evo air boots, but they are kinda exp.

·
Registered
240 Posts
personally i think it's a bit much for any around town/way to work driving. i would even hesitate on a long ride. to me full leathers are for the track or for showing off like you're a racer. i understand if you want the safety, but i am just saying my opinion.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I guess I should clarify that I haven't really taken my bike out for just around town or something short. I've only had time to ride on weekends lately, and it's usually at least 50+ mi at a time on some scenic roads and twisties and stuff.

Sweat wipes off.... road rash doesn't.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As of right now I wear helmet, leather jacket, and my gloves for around town stuff....with jeans and skate shoes...

Longer rides its the same, but with a pair of hiking boots....before long I plan on getting either a one or two piece Alpinestars suit with some motorcycling boots..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.