Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my zx9r I owned a 1999 zx6e. I loved my comfortable and reliable zx6e, and I am even more in love with my more powerful, sleaker looking 9r, but lets face it... neither one of them is quite up to par when it comes to the flickability/handling/suspension of some of these new SS machines.

I have taken short rides on cbr 600rr, f4i, 1000rr, gixxer 600, 1000, kawasaki zx6r, zx10r, yamaha r6 etc. However, they were all friends bikes and I really only got to ride them around in a development at a relaxed pace. I never really got to hit the twisties with them.

My question is just how much better over my 9r would a newer say cbr 600rr do in the twisties? I love the look of the 07 600rr, and if I run into any more money this coming year that is what I am going to get, while still holding onto my 9r of course.

After experiencing the torque and acceleration of the 9r I swore that I would never go back to a smaller bike. However, I don't stunt or drag race or wheelie or any of that shit, and my favorite thing to do is take some twistie back roads at a good clip. I keep hearing how the 600's handle better than the 1k, and I expect the 1ks handle even better than my 9r.

Would I be having more fun on a lighter, tighter suspension set up, fuel injected 600cc SS bike? I would be sacrificing comfort and torque for better handling and fuel injected technology...or would I be better off getting a 1k and having more power and about equal torque, less comfort, but not exactly having something as flickable as the 600 would be?

I love bikes, and as soon as I get a full time career and start earning more money I aim to have more than a couple of them. I'm just curious as to what others with more experience than myself would say about riding a SS 600 or 1000 as compared to our MUCH beloved, but slightly out dated and out performed 9rs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its all about what you like. I hear the new Zx6 is gonna make 120whp [:0]. And corner speed is all about your confidence in the bike. Theres friends I've ridden with on larger, newer bikes that cant really keep up in the twisties and some friends who are on smaller bike that are faster then me. 99% of the time you are not capable of riding the bike to its full potential anyways. So if you like low end TQ or always shifting to stay in the powerband it comes down to what you like. I would get a Blue 07 Zx10[:p]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats true, I know its largely the rider determing how fast the bike corners and all, and I like the torque better than shifting and always maintaining those higher revs. I was more curious though as to whether or not for a given person with a given ability, if it would be easier to fly through the twisties and flick from side to side on a 600 SS or 1000ss, both of which im pretty sure would be easier than my 9r. But, damn, I love my bike.... its my bike and I've never seen another one EXACTLY like it, where as if I had a new gixxer 600, ever other kid at every third intersection has one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
anything SS or SBK focused is going to be better in the corners than a 9R.

i struggle keeping up with my girl on her 954RR in the twistys, and ive got a lot more experience and my bike is faster in a straight line

all the sporty 600's and 1000's handle the same, the 6's are just more forgiving. takes a little more skill and a lot more balls to ride a thou the same, but it can be done.

the 9R's chassis just isnt setup the same. drop the front end about 5mm, get some ohlins fork internals, ohlins rear shock (and raise the rear about 10mm) and throw on a steering damper and some higher rearsets and it will be a different story.... but still more weight and less power than a late model r1, gsxr, blade or 10R.

i got my eye on a k3/k4 gix thou, maybe k5 if the budget can stretch ;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Originally posted by NinetySix
anything SS or SBK focused is going to be better in the corners than a 9R.

i struggle keeping up with my girl on her 954RR in the twistys, and ive got a lot more experience and my bike is faster in a straight line

all the sporty 600's and 1000's handle the same, the 6's are just more forgiving. takes a little more skill and a lot more balls to ride a thou the same, but it can be done.

the 9R's chassis just isnt setup the same. drop the front end about 5mm, get some ohlins fork internals, ohlins rear shock (and raise the rear about 10mm) and throw on a steering damper and some higher rearsets and it will be a different story.... but still more weight and less power than a late model r1, gsxr, blade or 10R.

i got my eye on a k3/k4 gix thou, maybe k5 if the budget can stretch ;)
[:Stupid] on almost everything. I don't think the engine size has a whole lot to do with the handling, anything newer than 03-04 handles about the same. but like he said the 1000's are much less forgiving of rider error.

I don't feel that the 9r is that far behind though. if set up properly it is/was/always will be a great bike. do what he said ind it will keep up with anything out there, especially if you 'fix' the sprockets.

what do you run for tires?? maybe some pilot powers would boost your confidence up a bit[:M114] lol - give you better feedback anyway

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, I just typed up such a long response and it was all lost when I tried to submit it.

Basically, I just dont have the confidence I do on the 9r that I used to becuase it doens't feel as solid in the turns. I want to have the bike set up for my weight and get hte fork oil changed eventually. I dont want to go too crazy making it handle better as far as upgrading suspension and lowering the front enough to require a steering damper and all, I just want to have that confidnece back.

I have tried pilot powers and they were my absolute favorite tire so far. THey lasted me almost 9k miles which was a lo tmore than I thought, and they handled and cornered great. They had excellent turn in as well compared to anything else I have ridden, AND, i had a 190 rear when i had the pilots, now i am using 180s. I will be getting another set when it gets warmer out.

I dont have the money now, but i am torn between the less costly less performance more flickable cbr 600rr, and the more costly, more insurance, more powerful and slightly heavier 1000rr. I am not sure what what I woudl enjoy more, probably teh 1000rr but saving some money and getting th more flickable 600 sounds nice as well. I dig the 07 model cbr which has been redone quite a bit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by scream-n-10r
I don't feel that the 9r is that far behind though. if set up properly it is/was/always will be a great bike. do what he said ind it will keep up with anything out there, especially if you 'fix' the sprockets.

what do you run for tires?? maybe some pilot powers would boost your confidence up a bit[:M114] lol - give you better feedback anyway
the 9 isnt miles behind, but there is definately a slight advantage to sportier bikes in the tight stuff, no matter how big your balls are [:eek:)] but skill is still 95% of the equation

im running pilot powers, very nice tyres...

ive got my suspension sorted a lot better since the last time i hit the twistys, went with 7.5w fork oil and basically softened the rebound and compression a lot and it feels a lot more compliant now.. also raised the forks 5mm above the top triple clamp and it feels a lot more flickable, tho i think ground clearance has suffered slightly and theres a touch more head shake... no tank slappers yet tho [B)] cant wait to take her out to the mountains, but its raining all weekend :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by rockstar84
Basically, I just dont have the confidence I do on the 9r that I used to becuase it doens't feel as solid in the turns. I want to have the bike set up for my weight and get hte fork oil changed eventually. I dont want to go too crazy making it handle better as far as upgrading suspension and lowering the front enough to require a steering damper and all, I just want to have that confidnece back.
try lower the front just a tiny bit, 3-5mm is plenty and it still shouldnt get out of shape too easily.

good tyres is very important, but so is suspension setup. even without changing internals or fork oil, you gotta have it setup perfectly to get full confidence. preload is verrrry important, no bike will ever feel right if its not set right. comp and rebound need to be set right too, especially if the road is anything less than a racetrack ;) i would make sure everything is set up right before considering a bonda [xx(]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know my bike will handle better when i have it all set up nice. I am never going to sell it, and I was just considering trying a honda as my second bike when I have more money to play with. Thanks for the info though, I can try lowering the front but I'm not sure I want to mess around with it much without a steering damper, and I really dont want to have to bother to get a dampener on my bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with 96.
A zx-9 is perfectly capable and willing.
My track bike is a 02 zx9.
Forks raised up 3mm in front, rear shimmed 6+ mm.
Still nothing too radical so no need for a stabalizer here.

Make sure your fork oil is in good shape, often overlooked. If in doubt...change it. Once you see what comes out, you'll wonder why you didn't change it earlier.

Setup your suspension or have it setup by someone who is well versed in the black art. There is alot to be had by changing the geometry and getting your rebound and compression right. Don't forget tire pressure.

My next upgrade has to be brakes. Not suspension...not motor. I run HH sintered pads and braided lines and still get some pretty bad brake fade toward the end of my sessions. I tend to brake late, just hard enough to get the rear wheel off the ground. If I can't get around em on the straight, I try to carry more corner speed. If that doesn't work then I pass em while hard on the brakes. Either way I'm getting around em:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.